Flash flooding hits businesses and attractions

A flooded car park next to industrial units. Vans are parked around the edge of the flooded area.Image source, Isle of Wight Radio
Image caption,

Newport was hit by flash flooding early on Friday

  • Published

Flash flooding has caused damage and disruption in parts of the Isle of Wight.

Quay Arts in Newport closed on Friday after "torrential rain" caused the centre to flood.

Isle of Wight Radio said its offices began to flood while its breakfast show was on air, although it continued to broadcast.

The National Trust has also closed Mottistone after "10 minutes of fierce, unforgiving rain" on Thursday left the garden "unrecognisable".

A flooded office. The black floor is covered in water. To the right are two long desks with computers and monitors on them. There are two wooden doors at the back of the room marked Studio A and Studio C.Image source, Isle of Wight Radio
Image caption,

Isle of Wight Radio stayed on air despite the flooding

A Sainsbury's spokesperson said its supermarket in Newport was "temporarily closed while we fix a leak in the roof caused by the recent extreme weather".

"We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and are working to reopen as soon as possible," they added.

Adam Richardson of Isle of Wight Radio said: "All was fine when our breakfast team went into the studio - 20 minutes later and we were under water.

"We've currently got clean-up crews working on it. Luckily output has been unaffected.

"Our studios were built back in the '80s so luckily could probably stand up to most things, though we think this might be the closest we've got to them turning into foot spas."

A black Isle of Wight Radio car in a car park surrounded by flood water.Image source, Isle of Wight Radio
Image caption,

A clean-up is under way at Isle of Wight Radio

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire Service said it received a "small number of calls overnight regarding flooding".

A spokesperson said: "Our control room advised residents to contact Floodline, whilst firefighters responded to sounding alarm systems that had been damaged by water."

The National Trust Isle of Wight said its garden at Mottistone would remain closed on Friday following Thursday morning's deluge.

In a post on Facebook, external, it said: "In those few minutes, paths were gouged out, plants were ripped from their beds and carefully nurtured borders washed away.

"Walking through afterwards was devastating.

"This is the third time this year Mottistone has suffered a flash flood like this."

IW Met Service said 40-50mm rain fell in Newport and its weather station at Lake recorded 38.8mm "in just a few hours".

Get in touch

Do you have a story BBC Hampshire & Isle of Wight should cover?