Another A27 lane to close despite delays

An aerial shot of traffic on the A27 in East Sussex.Image source, Eddie Mitchell
Image caption,

Some people had experienced lengthy delays on the A27 near Falmer

  • Published

Another lane on the A27 near Brighton is to close on Saturday despite the ongoing lengthy delays in the area.

Drivers told BBC Radio Sussex it took them over an hour to travel the mile between the A23 and the Hollingbury turnoff as an eastbound lane was closed.

The westbound carriageway was shut on Thursday night and narrow lanes were due to be installed on Friday night, meaning it would be reduced to a single lane from 06:00 BST on Saturday.

National Highways said: "We acknowledge the disruption people are experiencing and thank them for their patience as we improve the drainage, replace barriers and resurface part of the road."

Travel reporter Stephen Cranford said drainage and resurfacing work had already started before National Highways began replacing the central reservation barrier on both sides on the stretch of the A27.

He told BBC Radio Sussex that the outside lanes on both sides of the road were expected to be closed until the entire project was completed in June.