Plea to National Trust to help save Glass Centre

A public meeting over the future of the centre was held in Sunderland last week
- Published
City leaders have called for urgent talks with the National Trust about a potential option to save the National Glass Centre (NGC).
The venue in Sunderland is set to close its doors next July, but campaigners told a public meeting last week that the trust's proposed Safe Harbour scheme might provide it with potential lifeline.
Sunderland City Council leader Michael Mordey, who was at the meeting, said he had co-signed a letter alongside Lewis Atkinson MP asking to meet with the trust to see if the scheme could be a viable option for the NGC.
Atkinson said he would continue to engage with all interested parties. The National Trust has been contacted for a comment.
Save the National Glass Centre group said it was "surprised" to find out about the letter and awaited more details.
The Safe Harbour scheme, external would aim to protect heritage assets at risk of disposal and ensure they are maintained and repurposed for public benefit.
It was mentioned by campaigners during a public meeting over the future of the NGC at Sunderland City Hall last Wednesday.

Campaigners Anne Loadman, Carolyn Basing and Nigel Taylor called for the council's support
During the meeting, campaigners also called on the Labour-run council to hold glass centre custodian the University of Sunderland to account for its decision to shut the site and help "reverse" the closure.
The venue, which opened in 1998. is set to close with the university blaming "unaffordable" repair costs placed at between £14m and £45m.
Campaigners have disputed the estimated repair bill.
The university, which has owned and managed the building and the land since 2010, said it had been "transparent from the outset" about its reasons to close the centre.
It also said no-one had "come forward to offer any financial support" towards fixing the building.
'Turning point'
Mordey, who also sits on the university's board of governors, said he "absolutely" understood "the strength of feeling" around the closure, but added the council was not in a position to step in and take on the building or "indeed to press an organisation that has made its position clear".
"The campaign group signalled their intent to explore alternative options and I stand ready to support those if they are able to find a viable solution," Mordey said.
"In fact, I have co-signed a letter with Lewis Atkinson MP to the National Trust asking them for an urgent meeting to see if their Safe Harbour scheme is an option to be explored."
The BBC understands the letter was sent on Monday.
A spokesperson for Save the National Glass Centre group said they "eagerly" awaited more details and expected to be invited if a meeting is organised.
"We remain hopeful this will mark the turning point in the fight to save our world class cultural asset and look forward to receiving an update as soon as possible," they added.
Follow BBC Sunderland on X, external, Facebook, external, Nextdoor and Instagram, external.
Get in touch
Do you have a story suggestion for BBC Wear?
- Published21 November

- Published1 November

- Published11 August
