Man guilty of attempted murder after dumbbell attack

Abdusalam Hassan continued to attack his victim as he was unconscious, police said
- Published
A "dangerous" man who left his victim with a severe brain injury after beating him with a dumbbell 31 times has been convicted of attempted murder.
Abdusalam Hassan, 27, launched the "sustained and brutal attack" after spotting the man at a shop close to his home in Burton Road, Derby, on 2 October 2024, Derbyshire Police said.
His victim underwent emergency surgery and was left needing "significant care" to live at home after one side of his body was left paralysed, the force added.
After admitting the attack but denying attempted murder, a jury found Hassan guilty of the offence at Derby Crown Court on Thursday.
Police said Hassan had returned home to arm himself with the dumbbell before lying in wait for his victim.
As the man turned into Abbey Street, Hassan hit him on the back of the head and continued to hit him after he fell to the ground.
'Life utterly changed'
The force said the motive for the attack was believed to have been that Hassan was previously assaulted by two men - one of them named as his victim.
A criminal investigation into that incident was ongoing at the time of attack in October and was continuing with no charges made yet, police added.
The force said Hassan's victim's brain injuries were so severe it was believed he would die.
Det Insp Tony Owen said it was through the work of emergency services, hospital staff and "sheer luck" that the man did not die, but added his life had been "utterly changed" by the attack.
He said: "The incident was caught on CCTV and is among the worst footage that I have seen.
"Hassan's victim was utterly defenceless after the first blow and the sustained nature of the attack, combined with the viciousness of the force used, left no doubt that he meant to kill his victim."
Det Insp Owen described Hassan as a "dangerous individual who showed absolutely no contrition for his actions or concern for his victim".
Hassan was remanded into custody and is due to be sentenced on 7 July.
Get in touch
Tell us which stories we should cover in Derby
Follow BBC Derby on Facebook, external, on X, external, or on Instagram, external. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk, external or via WhatsApp, external on 0808 100 2210.
Related topics
- Published20 November 2024