Government to ban asylum seekers from using taxis

An unlit yellow taxi light on the top of a car on a grey, wet day in the British Isles.Image source, Getty Images
  • Published

Asylum seekers will be banned from using taxis for medical appointments from February, the government has announced.

It comes after a BBC investigation found some people had travelled long distances by taxi, with one asylum seeker saying they went on a 250-mile journey to a GP, costing the Home Office £600.

In response the government launched an urgent review into the use and cost of taxis to transfer asylum seekers from their hotels to appointments in September.

Now, the government has confirmed it has spent an average of around £15.8 million per year on transport for asylum seekers.

Earlier this year, BBC Radio 4's File on Four found asylum seekers were being issued with a bus pass for one return journey per week. For other necessary travel, like doctor's appointments, taxis were used, including the case of a 250-mile journey to a GP.

And on Friday, one subcontractor told the BBC his firm would do up to 15 drop-offs daily from a hotel in south east London to a doctors surgery around two miles away. These journeys alone would cost the Home Office £1,000 a day, he said.

But Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said this was now going to change.

She said: "I am ending the unrestricted use of taxis by asylum seekers for hospital appointments, authorising them only in the most exceptional circumstances.

"I will continue to root out waste as we close every single asylum hotel."

She said the government had inherited expensive Conservative contracts.

Instead of taxis, ministers want asylum seekers to use alternatives like public transport.

There will be some exemptions for people with physical disabilities, chronic illnesses and pregnancy related needs. These will have to be signed off by the Home Office under the new rules.

A bar chart of the total number of people applying for asylum in the UK, including main applicants and dependents, from October to September in the years 2002 to 2025. In the 12 months to September 2002, there were 93371 claims. By 2005, this figure had more than halved. Applications hovered under or around 40,000 until 2022, when they reached 88,213. Levels swelled to around 100,000 in 2023 and 2024. From October 2024 to September 2025 there were 110051 asylum applications.
Tap the questions below
How many people are in asylum accommodation?

An asylum seeker is someone who wants to be in the UK because they say they cannot live safely in their own country due to persecution or violence.

The government must house an asylum seeker if they cannot financially support themselves while their claim is being considered. There were 108,085 people in asylum accommodation as of September 2025.

About 34% of those people, 36,273, were in hotels. These are used when there is not enough shared housing available, such as houses of multiple occupation (HMOs) or former military sites.

The government has pledged to stop the use of hotels by 2029.

More people are in hotels across the south of England than elsewhere in the UK, while HMOs are more common in the north of England and Scotland.

Numbers of asylum seekers in hotels by council area
How many people apply for asylum in the UK?

A total of 110,051 people applied for asylum in the UK from October 2024 to September 2025. This was up by 13% on the same period in the previous year.

Most people who arrive in the UK by small boat claim asylum, but they were only 41% of all asylum seekers from October 2024 to September 2025.

The rest include people who arrived by other illegal means or who came to the UK legally and applied for asylum while holding, or just after holding, a valid visa.

How big is the asylum backlog?

It can take years for the government to decide whether someone should be granted asylum.

There was a backlog of 80,841 people waiting for a first decision on their claim in September 2025. This was down by 39% on the previous year.

There was also a second backlog of 50,976 people as of March 2025 who have been refused asylum, but have appealed the decision in court. This was up by 88% on the previous year.

Together, these two figures make up the government’s total asylum backlog, which it has pledged to clear.

A stacked bar chart of applications awaiting a first decision and appeals caseload at first-tier tribunal, by quarter from, June 2015 to June 2025 The backlog increased from around 25,000 in 2015 to around 180,000 in 2023. This was largely due to more applications awaiting an initial decision. Since 2023, the number of applicants awaiting an initial decision has declined, but the appeals caseload has widened. In September 2025 there were 80841 initial decisions. Appeals data since March 2025 is not available.

Refugee status was granted in about 44% of asylum decisions made by the Home Office from October 2024 to September 2025.

Refusals were overturned in about 45% of the appeal decisions made from April 2024 to March 2025.

There are other circumstances in which taxis can be used - such as moving between accommodation - but ministers are reviewing the wider use of taxis for asylum seekers and want to extend the principle that they are only used in exceptional circumstances with support evidence.

Ministers have pledged to end the use of asylum hotels by the next election. They want to increase the use of alternative accommodation, such as large military sites.

But figures earlier this week showed 36,273 people were still living in asylum hotels in the UK – an increase compared to June.

There has also been criticism of the growing cost of running asylum accommodation – which has gone up significantly since the contracts were signed.

When the home secretary was asked if the government was prepared to exercise break clauses in contracts with providers in a BBC interview earlier this year, Mahmood said she would explore all options.

But doing so would mean alternative accommodation needs to be found.

The government has also announced significant changes to overhaul the asylum system – with refugee status becoming temporary and the ending of guaranteed housing support for asylum seekers.

The government has recovered £74m since it came to power – but the chair of the home affairs select committee said that was only a start.

Shadow home secretary Chris Philp said: "The issue is that Labour can't get a grip on the illegal immigration crisis.

"As Labour hammer working people with £26 billion in tax rises, they have allowed costs for illegal arrivals to spiral because Labour don't have the backbone to take the tough decisions needed. Namely, deporting all illegal arrivals and leaving the ECHR. Until that happens, the bills will keep mounting."