BBC Sport presenter reveals prostate cancer diagnosis

Kenny Macintyre pushed for regular check-ups as three of his uncles had the disease
- Published
BBC Radio Scotland sports broadcaster Kenny Macintyre has revealed that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
The 57-year-old announced the news on air during Off the Ball while talking to presenters Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove.
Kenny, from Dunblane, said he pushed for three-monthly tests due to his family history - three of his uncles had the disease. He will soon undergo treatment.
His announcement comes as a UK expert body recommended that only men with a confirmed genetic risk of prostate cancer should be screened for the disease.
The UK's National Screening Committee – which advises governments across the UK – has said no to screening except for men with specific genetic mutations that lead to more aggressive tumours.
Tests for the disease are unreliable, and can lead to men being treated for a slow-growing cancer that is not going to cause them any harm.
The treatment itself can also cause incontinence and impotence, which can significantly affect quality of life.
Prostate cancer screening should not be offered to most UK men, say experts
- Published21 hours ago
Prostate cancer screening: what you need to know
- Published19 hours ago
What are the symptoms of prostate cancer and what should you check for?
- Published5 days ago
Speaking on Off the Ball on Saturday morning, Kenny urged men over 50 who have a history of prostate cancer in the family, to push for regular PSA testing - a blood test that measures the amount of prostate-specific antigen (PSA), a protein made by the prostate gland.
As a result of Kenny's regular tests, a rising trend in his overall PSA level was spotted, which led to an MRI scan and biopsy that confirmed cancer was present.
"Obviously it's not the news anyone wants to be told but I am very lucky to have caught this early, and I believe that is only because I pushed for regular testing," he said.
"I had absolutely no symptoms and all examinations indicated things were normal. Had it not been for the regular checks, which revealed the rising trend in my PSA levels, things may be very different."
He said his BBC bosses had been "fantastic" but told the programme how hard it was telling his children of the possibility he had prostate cancer.
"I've got great family, great friends, brilliant colleagues from reporters to pundits to commentators but my kids are my world and I had to tell them," he said.
"That was difficult. Then I got the biopsy and was told I'd got cancer. I felt I kind of knew but when you do get told its surreal. But the kids have been amazing.
"I consider myself lucky because I was pushy. If you have family history, even if you have no symptoms, push to get regular testing and see if there's a trend there. If there is, push for an MRI and, if you need to, a biopsy."
He added: "As it stands, I have several treatment options available to me which will probably mean a spell away from the airwaves at some point but now I'm just taking each day as it comes and getting on with life.
"I am lucky to have such strong support around me – my family, work colleagues and the NHS staff have all been brilliant."
Hayley Valentine, director of BBC Scotland said: "We are sorry to hear Kenny's news but applaud him for taking the decision to share it with our listeners in the hope it may encourage more men to get checked out.
"Kenny has the full support of BBC Scotland and I know listeners will join me in wishing him all the best."
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men and kills 12,000 people across the UK each year.
Six-time Olympic cycling gold medallist Sir Chris Hoy, who has terminal prostate cancer, said he was "disappointed and saddened" that screening was not likely to be offered more widely.
"I know, first hand, that by sharing my story following my own diagnosis two years ago, many, many lives have been saved. Early screening and diagnosis saves lives," the Scot said.
Prostate Cancer UK said the committee's recommendation would "come as a blow" to tens of thousands of men. However, Cancer Research UK said it supported the experts' advice.
There will be a three-month consultation before the committee meets again and gives its final advice to ministers in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland who will each make their own decision on prostate screening.
Kenny Macintyre presents Open All Mics on BBC Radio Scotland and BBC One Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.
Related topics
- Attribution
- Published4 days ago

- Published20 October 2024
