E-bike crash deaths riot accused appear in court

Cars and homes were damaged on the night of the riot
- Published
Seventeen people have appeared in court charged with riot in relation to mass disorder in Cardiff in 2023.
Violence broke out following the deaths of Kyrees Sullivan, 16, and Harvey Evans, 15, in Ely on the evening of 22 May when they crashed an e-bike minutes after CCTV captured them being followed by South Wales Police.
No pleas were entered and 13 were released on unconditional bail and were told they would appear at Cardiff Crown Court on 21 October.
A further four were released on conditional bail and will also appear at Cardiff Crown Court on 21 October.

(Left to right) Connor O'Sullivan, Harvey James, Jaydan Baston and Jayden Westcott were among those in court on Thursday
Ryan Knight, 19, from Splott, did not appear at court and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
Appearing in court were:
Lianna Tucker, 18, from Ely
Michaela Gonzales, 26, from Ely
Jaydan Baston, 20, from Caerau
Harvey James, 18, from Fairwater
Jumana Fouad, 18, from Ely
Jordan Webster, 28, from Ely
Kieron Beccano, 25, from St Fagans
Luke Williams, 30, from Ely
Jayden Westcott, 20, from Ely
Zayne Farrugia, 24, from Caerau
Kyle Telemaque, 18, from Ely
Connor O’Sullivan, 25, from Caerau
Callum O’Sullivan, 23, from Ely
Ashdon O’Dare, 26 from Ely
Jordan Bratcher, 26 from Llanishen
Jamie Jones, 23 from Llanrumney
McKenzie Danks, 21 from Caerau (also charged with two counts of assaulting a police officer which he denied)

(Left to right) Zayne Farrugia, Michaela Gonzales, Kyle Telemaque, Jumana Fouad and Luke Williams were all granted bail, along with their co-accused
Prosecutor Alex Orndal told the court that the crowd on the night was about 200 people.
He added: "One officer was hit by a petrol bomb. Thankfully, because of their protective clothing, there were no lasting injuries.
"Vehicles parked in the road were damaged and fires were set in the street.
"The Crown’s case is that each of the defendants participated in that riot in some way - their precise action will be a matter for trial in due course."
More accused are expected to appear in court later and on Friday after the Crown Prosecution Service announced charges against 31 people last week.
Additional reporting by Jack Grey