'Significant' number of asylum seekers in Ireland coming from NI

New plans to reduce asylum seeker supports have been brought forward by Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan
- Published
About 87% of people seeking international protection in the Republic of Ireland have come from across the border with Northern Ireland, according to the Irish justice minister.
Jim O'Callaghan said this data has been provided to him by officials in the Irish Department of Justice.
The comments come as the Irish government backed plans to reduce asylum seeker supports at a meeting of senior ministers on Wednesday.
These include charges of accommodation for asylum seekers with jobs, tighter family reunification rules and lengthening the time needed to apply for citizenship.
O'Callaghan said that if people are not applying for asylum at the airport, the "strong likelihood" is that they are applying after coming over the border.
The justice minister also said a "very significant" number of applicants for international protection have come from the UK, which "as we know is a safe country, but may have also come from another European country prior to that".
"The figures for that are approximately 87% or so," he added.
A 'two-way' issue
The minister said he does not want to send back asylum seekers to the UK, as there are also asylum seekers going to the UK from Ireland, describing it as a "two-way issue".
"It's not just an issue that affects Ireland, it affects the UK as well."

The minister said that about 45,000 people have applied for asylum in the Republic of Ireland since 2022
O'Callaghan said before the Covid-19 pandemic, there were about 3,000 to 4,000 asylum seekers coming into the Republic per year. However, this increased to more than 18,500.
Across three years - 2022, 2023 and 2024 - around 45,000 people applied for asylum.
"My view is that is too high," he said.
He said the "overwhelming majority of people" have their applications for international protection rejected "at first instance", which is around 81% and some people appeal this decision.
What are the new Irish asylum proposals?
The new plans were brought forward by O'Callaghan and Junior Minister for Migration, Colm Brophy.
International protection applicants who have jobs but live in state accommodation will be charged from €15 (£13) to €238 (£208) per week under proposals previously seen by BBC NI.
The amount asylum seekers pay will depend on their weekly income.
For example, asylum seekers earning from €97.01 (£85) up to €150 (£131) per week may be charged €15 (£13) per week.
But those earning €600.01(£526) and higher per week may have to pay €238 (£208) per week towards accommodation.
Asylum seekers who do not pay the charges and build up "significant arrears" may face court.
They may also be pursued by debt collectors.
The changes also include the power to revoke or refuse a residence permit for a refugee if they are found to be in danger to the security of the state.

Tánaiste Simon Harris said plans to charge asylum seekers a portion of their income is "a common sense measure"
Asylum seekers who apply for citizenship also will have to show they can be self-sufficient and having not received certain social welfare payments before the previous two years.
Family reunification rules will also be tightened and those applying for citizenship will have to live in Ireland for five years, instead of three.
Tánaiste (Irish deputy prime minister) Simon Harris said on Tuesday plans to charge asylum seekers a portion of their income is "a common sense measure".
But some Irish opposition parties have criticised the proposals, with Labour TD Ged Nash accusing Minister O'Callaghan of "virtue signalling" on immigration.
Sinn Féin TD Matt Carthy urged the Irish government to implement the plans quickly.
He said the Irish government should set up a "bilateral returns agreement" with the UK.
"Without that, and without concrete measures to address processing times and ensure enforcement of decisions, no amount of recycled announcements will fix the realities of a dysfunctional IPAS system," he added.
- Published3 November
