Devon MPs meet bus company over fare increases

A picture of the side of a bus - which says the word "Stagecoach" on it. It is a blue and white bus with a yellow wing mirror. There is a small camera next to the logo.Image source, Stagecoach
Image caption,

The bus company said its previous pricing structure was no longer commercially viable

  • Published

MPs in Devon have met with bus company representatives to discuss rising fares after parents of children who use its services to get to school in north Devon said prices had become more expensive.

In July, bus company Stagecoach announced fare changes which some parents said were more than £100 extra per month.

A spokesperson for Stagecoach said the reason for the increase was because the previous pricing structure was no longer commercially viable.

A Devon County Council representative said: "While we regret the impact these changes may have, Devon County Council has no authority over commercial fare decisions made by Stagecoach."

Kay Corfe, from Bideford, said the changes would cost her £110 extra per month.

She said: "I see myself to be really quite good at budgeting, we are very careful with our money.

"However, it is a constant worry if I’m going to have enough to pay the bills and feed us every month."

Two Conservative MPs - Rebecca Smith for South West Devon and Sir Geoffrey Cox for Torridge and Tavistock - met with Stagecoach's south-west managing director on Monday.

Stagecoach previously said that, while the previous pricing structure was no longer commercially viable, the changes ensured the service remained sustainable while giving families more choice.

'Very steep rises'

After the meeting, Sir Geoffrey said it was frank and constructive.

He said: "I had queues of parents coming to see me about the shock of these sudden and very steep rises.

"It was indeed so bad that many families find it almost impossible to justify sending their children to the schools they’re currently sending them to."

He added that he was pleased local managing director Peter Knight engaged "constructively" with him and Rebecca Smith.

Councillor Jacqi Hodgson, Devon County Council's cabinet member with responsibility for climate and biodiversity, said: "We are aware that Stagecoach has made the commercial decision to increase some single fares and withdraw several day and weekly ticket zones, including the Exeter Plus, North Devon, Newton Abbot, and Exmouth tickets.

"While we regret the impact these changes may have, Devon County Council has no authority over commercial fare decisions made by Stagecoach.

"We are continuing to work with Stagecoach to minimise fare increases and to offer a good value range of ticketing options for Devon's residents."

Follow BBC Devon on X, external, Facebook, external and Instagram, external. Send your story ideas to spotlight@bbc.co.uk, external.

Related topics