BBC Homepage
  • Skip to content
  • Accessibility Help
  • Your account
  • Notifications
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • iPlayer
  • Sounds
  • Bitesize
  • CBBC
  • CBeebies
  • Food
  • More menu
More menu
Search BBC
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • iPlayer
  • Sounds
  • Bitesize
  • CBBC
  • CBeebies
  • Food
Close menu
BBC News
Menu
  • Home
  • InDepth
  • Israel-Gaza war
  • War in Ukraine
  • Climate
  • UK
  • World
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Culture
More
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Health
  • Family & Education
  • In Pictures
  • Newsbeat
  • BBC Verify
  • Disability
  • BBC Trending

Firework drone 'false news' says Instagram star Lucas Albert

  • Published
    19 July 2019
Share page
About sharing
A drone in the air apparently shooting a fireworkImage source, Lucas Albert/Instagram
Image caption,

The moment a firework was 'fired' from the drone

Tom Gerken
BBC UGC & Social News

You may have seen a video being shared online claiming to show a man "getting revenge on his neighbours" by shooting fireworks at them from a drone.

If you thought it was real, you are in good company.

The video was shared widely on Twitter, where it has been viewed more than a million times.

But there is a problem: The video does not show a man getting revenge on his neighbours. It is all a prank designed to get clicks.

Here is the video as it originally featured on Brazilian influencer Lucas Albert's Instagram page:

This Instagram post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on Instagram
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skip instagram post by eulucasalbert

Allow Instagram content?

This article contains content provided by Instagram. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read Meta’s Instagram cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
End of instagram post by eulucasalbert
Presentational white space

Mr Albert, who has two million followers on Instagram, told the BBC the video is not real, and explained he planned the stunt with friends.

"Many people know me," he said, "and know that I edit all the videos that I post."

Mr Albert is known for his pranks and stunts on social media. For example, in one video viewed more than 700,000 times he pretends to have a heart attack, external in a shopping centre to scare a stranger.

Mr Albert explained Portuguese-language newspapers in Brazil shared the story as though it was real, which prompted it to be picked up by English-language outlets.

"Some newspapers took the video and spread false news," he said, "saying that it was in another city and it was a neighbour enraged by the noise."

Mr Albert gave the BBC a peek behind the curtain by sharing a picture taken by a drone of himself and the fleeing "loud neighbours".

A group of people stand together giving a thumbs-up signImage source, Lucas Albert

The Portuguese-language news website Jornal de Brasilia initially shared the video, external on Monday with the claim a neighbour was trying to disperse a loud party.

On the same day the video was posted on news aggregator website Digg, external, citing Jornal de Brasilia as its source, where it has now been viewed more than six million times.

Soon after publication, Jornal de Brasilia updated the story with the term "#EFAKE!" ("Is fake!") prominently displayed and to say the video was filmed by an influencer.

But by then it was too late, as it had been picked up by English-language social media, with one Twitter post liked more than 38,000 times.

This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skip X post by Trap Queen Jigglypuff ❁

Allow X content?

This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
End of X post by Trap Queen Jigglypuff ❁

The video was also uploaded to YouTube, where it has been viewed more than 700,000 times, external, and from there posted to Reddit, where it has been upvoted more than 32,000 times, external.

By this point the video had become so far-removed from its original source that on all three of these social media posts there are almost no questions of the video's authenticity.

This is how fake news spreads.

  • Fake news from the California wildfires

  • No, the BBC is not reporting the end of the world

  • Millions duped by Facebook Live video

Various English-language news websites worldwide have written articles about the aggrieved neighbour who was supposedly using a drone to break up a party. Perth Now, external, India Today, external, and Republic World, external are among those to have featured the prank on their website.

And the video was still being uploaded to social media, external on Thursday, either with the wrong context or with no indication it was staged.

More on this story

  • The photos not from the California fires

    • Published
      13 November 2018
    Firefighters sleeping in California
  • No, the BBC is not reporting the end of the world

    • Published
      19 April 2018
    Fake BBC News report featuring actor Mark Ryes
  • Actor hit by Facebook fake news story

    • Published
      15 November 2016
    Denzel Washington

Top stories

  • Police make three arrests during Epping protest

    • Published
      2 hours ago
  • US court rules many of Trump's global tariffs are illegal

    • Published
      3 hours ago
  • Brothers set new record for 9,000-mile Pacific row

    • Published
      2 hours ago

More to explore

  • Harry set for UK visit but will he see his father?

    A split image showing the faces of Prince Harry and King Charles. Both wear blue blazers and light shirts.
  • 'Inn-justice' for Epping and 'Rayner faces sleaze inquiry'

    The front pages of the Sun and the Daily Telegraph.
  • How coffee chains like Costa lost the matcha generation

    Two young women one with long brown hair and a grey hoodie and one with blonde hair in a slick back bun and a black leather bomber both holding green iced matcha drinks with straws on a street outside a Blank Street Coffee shop in London
  • Manhunt in Australian bush brings long-dismissed conspiracy theorists to the fore

    A man stands on a bus stop holding a sign saying "freedom" in bold capital letters. A line of police officers backs can be seen at the bottom of the picture, all in high vis tops. The street they are on is lined with trees which have lost their leaves
  • I asked a bus passenger to turn his phone down - he called me miserable

    A man in a white t-shirt and blue denim jacket sits on a bus next to the window and uses his phone. His face is out of the camera shot. Another passenger sat next to him also uses their phone.
  • What Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's wedding could look like

    A screenshot taken from Instagram showing Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift hug each other
  • Meet the three-year-olds helping anxious teens spend more time in school

    A teenage girl and a toddler smiling and talking to each other
  • 'Gringos out!': Mexicans protest against tourists and gentrification

    A man shouts into a loudhailer on a recent anti-gentrification march in Mexico City
  • Olivia Colman and Benedict Cumberbatch's secrets to successful marriages

    Olivia Colman and Benedict Cumberbatch attend "The Roses" UK Premiere at the Odeon Luxe Leicester Square on August 28, 2025 in London, England.
loading elsewhere stories

Most read

  1. 1

    'Inn-justice' for Epping and 'Rayner faces sleaze inquiry'

  2. 2

    US court rules many of Trump's global tariffs are illegal

  3. 3

    Brothers set new record for 9,000-mile Pacific row

  4. 4

    Harry set for UK visit but will he see his father?

  5. 5

    How coffee chains like Costa lost the matcha generation

  6. 6

    Julia Roberts: We're losing the art of conversation

  7. 7

    Police make three arrests during Epping protest

  8. 8

    BBC Proms performance interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters

  9. 9

    US blocks Palestinian leader from attending UN meeting in New York

  10. 10

    'Our baby was robbed of dignity after she died'

BBC News Services

  • On your mobile
  • On smart speakers
  • Get news alerts
  • Contact BBC News

Best of the BBC

  • Rolf Larsen investigates the case of a missing child

    • Attribution
      iPlayer
    DNA
  • Comedian Bob Mortimer chooses his desert island tracks

    • Attribution
      Sounds
    Desert Island Discs: Bob Mortimer
  • Freddie Mercury: from iconic shots to private snaps

    • Attribution
      iPlayer
    A Life in Ten Pictures: Freddie Mercury
  • When an Olympic badminton match caused controversy

    • Attribution
      Sounds
    Sporting Witness: Shuttlecock scandal
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Weather
  • iPlayer
  • Sounds
  • Bitesize
  • CBBC
  • CBeebies
  • Food
  • Terms of Use
  • About the BBC
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookies
  • Accessibility Help
  • Parental Guidance
  • Contact the BBC
  • Make an editorial complaint
  • BBC emails for you

Copyright © 2025 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.