Star Trek Discovery fans angry as new season is pulled days before launch

  • Published
Star Trek: Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green (right) as Commander Michael BurnhamImage source, Netflix
Image caption,

Star Trek: Discovery stars Sonequa Martin-Green (right) as Commander Michael Burnham

Star Trek fans have been left livid after the global release of the new season of spin-off show Discovery was pulled days before its planned launch.

The fourth season of the sci-fi series had been due to launch outside North America on Netflix on Friday.

However, Netflix has lost the global rights to Paramount, which will now put the show on its own streaming service.

Viewers outside the US and Canada must wait until Paramount+ launches in 20 countries including the UK next year.

A statement said it would be available in early 2022, but an exact date and plans for the rest of the world have not been announced.

This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skip X post by Star Trek on Paramount+

Allow X content?

This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
End of X post by Star Trek on Paramount+

The decision has been received poorly by fans, with some saying people would watch pirated versions instead.

This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skip X post 2 by Larry Nemecek

Allow X content?

This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
End of X post 2 by Larry Nemecek

The news comes days after stars of Discovery told fans what to expect from the new season at an official Star Trek convention in London.

This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Skip X post 3 by Tom PositiveLad

Allow X content?

This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
End of X post 3 by Tom PositiveLad
Presentational grey line

Follow us on Facebook, external, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, external. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk, external.

Related topics