Whitstable Harbour: Demolition teams move in after blaze
- Published

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Whitstable Harbour at about 13:35 GMT on Thursday
Demolition teams have moved in to knock down a building after fire tore through a harbour in Kent.
Eleven fire engines battled the blaze at the South Quay in Whitstable Harbour which was reported at about 13:35 GMT on Thursday.
Video footage showed flames billowing from the roof of a large, black building.
Work began on Friday to demolish one of the fire-ravaged buildings, a Canterbury City Council spokesman said.
Allow X content?
This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.
"A section of Harbour Street and the South Quay both remain closed to pedestrians and vehicles. This is likely to remain the case until Sunday," the council's spokesman said.
Investigators remain on site to determine a cause for the blaze.
People living and working nearby had been advised to shut their windows and doors due to smoke.
Everyone was evacuated safely with no injuries.

The fire, which began in a warehouse spread, causing damage to a nearby seafood restaurant

Follow BBC South East on Facebook, external, on Twitter, external, and on Instagram, external. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk.
Related topics
- Published26 May 2022