NI Protocol: Court order sought to end DUP meetings boycott
- Published

The North-South Ministerial Council (NSMC) was cancelled earlier after Edwin Poots failed to turn up
A Belfast businessman is to seek a court order aimed at forcing the Democratic Unionist Party to end its boycott of of most cross-border ministerial meetings.
On Monday, the High Court ruled the DUP's boycott was "unlawful".
But on Friday two ministerial meetings were cancelled after the DUP's Edwin Poots failed to show.
Businessman Sean Napier said he was seeking the court order as a "guardian of the Good Friday Agreement".
Mr Napier, who mounted the High Court challenge earlier this week, said the agreement was not an "a la carte" treaty.
"It has been there for us, it has kept peace here and it's imperative it is properly implemented in all its parts," he said.

Mr Napier said the Good Friday Agreement was not an "a la carte" treaty
Mr Napier added: "It is very important in what it has done for the greater good of the people here. I think it is my duty to be its guardian."
DUP First Minister Paul Givan said no meetings were planned for Friday as he had not agreed the agendas.
Northern Ireland's Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon and the Republic of Ireland's environment minister logged on, but her DUP ministerial colleague Edwin Poots did not.
He was also a no show in a meeting with Junior Minister Declan Kearney and Irish Minister Darragh O'Brien.
Mr Napier's solicitor Paul Farrell said the DUP must explain their position the ministerial meetings.
"I don't understand that a meeting that takes place today with accompanying ministers is not a meeting," he said.
"I think whatever we receive next week by way of response from DUP ministers will have to explain that. I cannot understand when a meeting is not a meeting."
The DUP boycott of most North-South Ministerial Council (NSMC) meetings was announced by party leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson last month.
The NSMC is the main body for cross-border co-operation between the governments of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
It is attended by ministers from both sides of the border who oversee joint working in areas such as trade, food safety and agriculture.
The DUP is refusing to attend in protest against the Northern Ireland Protocol.
The protocol is part of the Brexit deal agreed in 2019 and was introduced to help prevent checks along the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
But unionists say it creates a barrier to trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and undermines the latter's position in the UK.

Ms Mallon says the boycott must end
The NI minister Ms Mallon said the boycott must end.
She had been due to discuss cross-border aquaculture with her counterparts.
"It is astounding following this week's High Court ruling that Jeffrey Donaldson is overseeing a deliberate and unlawful boycott of the north-south institutions," she said.
"It shows only disdain for the rule of law but utter contempt for the people we represent."
On Thursday, ministers attended a NSMC meeting on health issues.

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, DUP leader, says the party's position "remains as it has been"
When asked on Thursday whether the DUP would continue its boycott, Sir Jeffrey told BBC Radio Foyle "our position remains as it has been".
Sinn Féin junior minister Declan Kearney said that "this inaction by Minister Edwin Poots and the executive office is a serious failure to comply with the law and the ministerial code which require ministers to participate in meetings of the NSMC".
He added: "These institutions are about joining up services across the island and delivering on important issues which impact on people's lives such as health, education and millions of pounds in funding.
"It's time the DUP put ordinary people's interests first by ending this illegal boycott of vital government business and get back to work on behalf of everyone in our society."
- Published14 October 2021
- Published11 October 2021
- Published12 October 2021