In pictures: The end of Hong Kong's Mong Kok protest camp?

  • Published

The pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong entered a new phase this week as police took assertive action to clear protests camps in the Mong Kok district.

Student groups are fighting to keep up momentum as the movement enters its third month, with little to show in terms of concessions from the government and with key protest leaders arrested and banned from the area under bail conditions.

The BBC takes a look at this week's events to remove the major Mong Kok protest site.

A general view of tents set up at the protest site occupying Nathan Road in Mong Kok District on November 24, 2014 in Hong Kong.Image source, Getty Images

Nathan Road in Mong Kong was, until this week, one of three major areas that the protesters had occupied, with tents and barricades completely blocking traffic and disrupting businesses in the area for two months.

A woman gestures towards pro-democracy protesters (not pictured) in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on October 6, 2014Image source, AFP

The Mong Kok site has been the most volatile of the camps, with members of the community regularly complaining about the disruption and scuffles breaking out between protesters, opponents and police.

Journalists gather as workers assist bailiffs in removing a barricade under a court injunction in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on November 25, 2014Image source, AFP

On Tuesday, workers moved in to clear barricades on Argyle Road after an injunction was granted by the court to a local company. They were backed by police and protesters were told to clear the area and not to interfere.

Police arrest a protester as they try to clear a road at a pro-democracy protest site in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on November 25, 2014.Image source, AFP

Later that day, police moved in after what they said was obstructive behaviour by protesters.

Riot police use tear spray during clash with protesters at Mongkok district on November 25, 2014 in Hong KongImage source, Getty Images

A spray solution was used to disperse the remaining crowd and dozens were arrested.

Police clear away a shelter at a pro-democracy protest camp in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on November 26, 2014. Hong Kong authorities are continuing their clearing out of a major pro-democracy protest site, the morning after scuffles broke out as police used pepper spray and arrested 116 people.Image source, AFP

On Wednesday, workers and police moved to clear Nathan Road on court orders following a separate injunction by a local transport company. They tore down barricades and tents and removed the campsite objects in lorries.

Pro-democracy protesters look on during the clearance of a major protest site by police in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on November 26, 2014Image source, AFP

Protesters watched, wearing face masks and helmets in case police again used force. Attempts by protesters to retake the site were quashed by police.

Workers spray a road, previously occupied by pro-democracy protesters, after police completed their clearance of a major protest site in the Mongkok district of Hong Kong on November 26, 2014.Image source, AFP

Nathan Road is now open again, and traffic is back to normal after cleaners removed the last remnants of the major protest camp.

Prominent Hong Kong student protest leader Joshua Wong talks to reporters outside a court in Hong Kong Thursday, Nov. 27, 2014Image source, AP

Student leader, Joshua Wong, was one of those arrested at the site. Out on bail, he spoke to reporters about what he says was excessive use of force by police and vowed the protests would continue, but that they would not try to retake Mong Kok.