In pictures: US base shooting
- Published

The US military base in Fort Hood, Texas, has been the scene of another deadly shooting, more than four years after an army psychiatrist killed 13 people there.

Fort Hood commanding officer Lt Gen Mark Milley said that on Wednesday a soldier had shot dead three colleagues before turning his gun on himself.

After the shooting broke out police secured the base and blocked entrances.

The motive for the attack is unclear, but officials say there is no indication of terrorism. The gunman, who had served in Iraq, was being treated for depression.

President Barack Obama said he was "heartbroken" by another shooting at the Fort Hood base.

The assailant went to two buildings on the base and opened fire, before being confronted by military police and taking his own life.

It is the third shooting at a US military facility in eight months. Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said steps had been taken to improve security, but more needed to be done.
- Published3 April 2014