Brighton fan is banned for five matches for offensive comments
- Published

Brighton beat Bournemouth 3-1 in the FA Cup third round at the Vitality Stadium
A Brighton fan has been banned for five matches for posting offensive comments online about Cyrille Regis following the FA Cup fourth-round draw.
The Seagulls face West Brom next in the competition in late January, after winning 3-1 at Bournemouth on Saturday.
Brighton said they received a number of complaints about a supporter's social media post published on Monday evening.
The comments were taken down and the fan has apologised. West Brom great Regis died aged 59 in January 2018.
In a statement, Brighton said they issued the ban "in light of offensive comments made on social media on Monday evening, deliberately designed to cause offence".
The statement added: "Following an investigation by the club, the individual concerned had already withdrawn the comments and has now apologised for the offence caused; they have also been warned to expect a more severe punishment should they breach club rules in future."