Jefferson Lerma: Bournemouth midfielder decides not to appeal against six-game biting ban

  • Published
Bournemouth midfielder Jefferson LermaImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Jefferson Lerma called the disciplinary process "incredibly disappointing" in a statement on Twitter

Bournemouth midfielder Jefferson Lerma has decided not to appeal against his six-match ban for biting Sheffield Wednesday forward Josh Windass.

The 26-year-old cited an "incredibly disappointing" process and "a lack of evidence used" to charge him.

"I do not have the confidence an appeal would be handled any better," he said., external

Colombia international Lerma denied the charge but was found guilty and fined £40,000 by the Football Association on Wednesday.

"I now want to put this behind me and focus on some crucial World Cup qualifying fixtures," he said.

The incident between Lerma and Windass occurred in the 83rd minute of the Cherries' 1-0 defeat at Hillsborough on 3 November last year.

"I continue to deny the allegation made against me," Lerma said. "I have co-operated fully throughout to try and prove my innocence.

"Sadly however, the process I have witnessed over the past seven months has been incredibly disappointing - not least the lack of evidence used to charge me and the length of time since the fixture in question."

Bournemouth said, external they were also "surprised and disappointed" by the independent panel's decision.

Lerma made 48 appearances in all competitions this season for Bournemouth who were beaten in the Championship play-off semi-finals by Brentford.

Around the BBC

Related internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.