Newport still hunting after transfer frustration

Newport County manager David Hughes gives orders from the touchlineImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Image caption,

Newport County manager David Hughes has made six permanent signings this window

  • Published

Newport County remain in the hunt for new recruits before transfer deadline day after suffering disappointments at the start of this week.

The Exiles will have no fresh faces in their squad for Saturday's League Two trip to Cambridge United (15:00 BST).

However, manager David Hughes remains hopeful that he will bolster his ranks before the deadline on Monday, 1 September (19:00 BST).

"We missed out on a couple of players in the first part of the week, which is just how it goes," said the boss, who has so far made six permanent signings and brought in three loanees.

"Players make their decisions and it's not just about football, it can come down to logistics, family and support networks.

"We are still speaking to people and hope to be busy before the deadline; we have a few spaces to be working on.

"It's never straightforward, we are gathering information on players and need to make sure they are the right fit."

Newport drew 2-2 with a PFA team of free agents at Rodney Parade on Wednesday, with their goals scored by academy prospect Harri Pugh and striker Ged Garner.

Centre-back Jaden Warner made his return from a pre-season knee injury while defender or midfielder Ciaran Brennan worked towards full fitness after a summer shoulder operation.

"Everybody came through the game and it was massively beneficial," said Hughes, who also fielded academy attacker Myles McKenzie.

The Exiles will attempt to end a four-game losing streak at Cambridge after being edged out by Millwall in the Carabao Cup and Salford City, Grimsby Town and Milton Keynes Dons in the league.

Hughes watched the U's beat Championship side Charlton Athletic 3-1 on Tuesday to earn a shot at Premier League team Fulham in the third round.