'Annoyed and stressed' parents told school place details by mistake

A woman with glasses and black hair is looking directly at the camera. She is wearing a green top and has a silver necklace around her neck. Image source, Katie Bell
Image caption,

Katie Bell was waiting on the phone for around three hours to the EA

  • Published

Education officials have apologised and launched an investigation after thousands of parents were mistakenly emailed about their child's school place almost a week early.

Parents applying to P1 or pre-school for their children were previously told by the Education Authority (EA) that they would be notified about a school place on 9 April.

However, most parents applying received an email on Thursday morning. The EA has said that while it was sent early, details of school placements are correct.

Parents have spoken to BBC News NI about their confusion, with one who did not receive an email saying they spent three hours on the phone to find out whether their son got in to his chosen pre-school.

What have parents said about the email mistake?

"Unfortunately I wasn't one of those parents who received the email," Katie Bell told BBC News NI.

"I was annoyed, the fact that people had had their emails - it didn't seem fair that some did and others didn't."

She described the process as "stressful", particularly as she is getting her son assessed for autism spectrum disorder and was keen for him to get into a pre-school that would provide for those needs.

"My son got his first choice, thankfully," she said.

Catherine O'Hagan wearing white top and necklace.Image source, Catherine O'Hagan
Image caption,

Catherine O'Hagan said she was disappointed by the early email

However, Catherine O'Hagan, from the Four Winds area in south Belfast, found out on Thursday morning her son was not accepted into any of this four pre-school preferences.

"What's disappointing is obviously when you hear news like that you immediately think: 'Oh what do I do next?' but because the email went out early none of that information is available," she told BBC News NI.

"And you're also like is that email accurate? Because it does seem unbelievable that he wouldn't get any of the four places, we were in the catchment area for all of them."

She said there is an added complication as, due to both her and her husband working full-time care, they need wraparound care with their son's crèche.

Catherine said she was "taken back" by the early email but she had hopes that it was a mistake.

"The hope comes in because you're thinking: 'Well this shouldn't have been sent anyway so is this a mistake?'

"I'm waiting to see about getting on waiting lists for those pre-schools that my day care offer wrap around for."

A woman sits at a kitchen table, she has her head resting on her left hand as she looks down at a document with a serious expression. She is wearing a red jacket and dark top and has medium-length blonde hair. One her knee she has a young boy, who is wearing a blue and white check shirt and has blonde hair. A laptop and red mug are also on the table. Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Parents were supposed to find out about school places for their children on 9 April but received an email almost a week early

Schools and principals under "extra pressure"

A parent who spoke anonymously to BBC News NI said that they had been told their child had not been allocated a school place.

"We have tried to phone the EA about five or six times since early this morning and we can't get through," they said.

The mistake by the EA also puts extra pressure on school principals, who have been responding to calls from parents earlier than expected.

The principal of Comber Primary School, Chris Logan, said principals are "having to adapt very quickly".

"It's very unfortunate because it puts pressure on schools to communicate early with parents about Nursery and P1 places," he told BBC News NI.

"We've parents contacting us asking to be shown around the school.

"And schools may not be in a position yet of contacting parents about things like induction days for their children.

"We were planning to give parents that information at the due time, but we're going to have to get on with it now."

"We'll cope with it but it's extra pressure."

Michelle Guy wearing green pattern top.
Image caption,

Michelle Guy said the Education Authority needs to swiftly clarify the situation

The Alliance assembly member, Michelle Guy, who is a member of Stormont's Education Committee, said that the EA "need to review how this has happened and ensure it doesn't happen again".

"The important update for parents is the information on the letter is accurate in terms of the place their child has been allocated.

"I have spoken to parents who are very anxious.

"Some have received an email with a place for their child and some haven't.

"Principals of schools I have spoken have also been left in the dark and are working to try and get information to worried parents."

Guy said the EA need to "swiftly clarify the situation and get information out to all parents that have applied for a place for their child".

"They also need to support schools who will be dealing with a lot of calls and messages.

"Once this immediate situation is dealt with the EA need to review how this has happened and ensure it doesn't happen again."

In a statement to BBC News NI, a spokesperson for the EA said it was investigating "why the system issued notifications earlier than scheduled".

"Please be assured the outcome of your child's application in your email is correct," it added.

The EA said that parents or carers can accept or reject their child's place, or list other preferences, from noon on Monday, 7 April.

"There is no need to contact schools and pre-school settings.

"If you have not received an email, please contact our Admissions team on 028 9047 0177."

Children with a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) are not affected by the error, as they are placed through a separate process.