Vauxhall plant site to be regenerated with £400m

Vauxhall employed thousands of workers in Luton for more than a century
- Published
The Vauxhall plant in Luton has been bought by a property group who said it would spend £400m regenerating the site into a "high-quality commercial and industrial park".
Goodman said its investment in the industrial estate off Kimpton Road could create more than 1,700 jobs, once works were completed in 2028.
The site has been used for manufacturing cars and vans since 1905 - but finished production on Friday.
The group said it would work with Luton Borough Council and the community "to bring forward development proposals for a mix of employment uses".
It has been estimated more than 1,000 jobs have been put at risk by the closure of the plant.
The local authority previously said it had put in a "serious and competitive bid" to buy the land but was rejected by owner Stellantis - which also runs Citroën and Peugeot.

Ryan (left) and Alf Sheppard were at the factory when production ended on Friday, Alf had worked there for 35 years and Ryan for 10 years
Goodman said the regeneration of the site represents "a major private sector investment in Luton's economy that will attract new businesses and create a high volume of direct and indirect supply chain jobs".
It added the plans aimed to develop a "high-quality commercial and industrial park, attracting businesses from a range of sectors including advanced logistics, manufacturing, engineering and digital infrastructure".
Jason Harris, Goodman's commercial director, said: "Our vision is to deliver a transformational regeneration scheme.
"This will attract new businesses to Luton and create a mix of jobs from a range of sectors."
He said he recognised "the social and economic significance of the site" and would work closely with the council and community on the plans, and the company had joined the council-led Luton Taskforce on Economic Growth.

The last van rolled off the production line at 12:18 GMT on Friday, 28 March
James Taylor, a Labour councillor on the authority and portfolio holder for regeneration and inclusive growth, said it was a "hugely important strategic site for our town".
"We are keen to see a mix of commercial and industrial uses at the site, create quality new jobs for local people and bring in vital investment for Luton which will help drive Luton's 2040 vision for a town where everyone can thrive."
The plans are subject to planning permission, with works expected to start in 2027 and with the first new businesses expected to open in 2028.

Stellantis announced the closure of the plant in November
Get in touch
Do you have a story suggestion for Beds, Herts & Bucks?
Follow Beds, Herts and Bucks news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, external, Instagram, external and X, external.
Related topics
- Published2 days ago
- Published6 days ago
- Published6 days ago