Schools told to continue providing RE based on 'holy scriptures'

Someone holds a book in their hands with brown edging, while holding a brown cross in their right hand.Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Paul Givan said the judgement recognised that Christianity is the main religion in Northern Ireland, and the greater part of RE would still focus on knowledge of Christianity

  • Published

Schools in Northern Ireland should continue to provide Religious Education (RE) based on the "holy scriptures", according to Stormont's Department of Education.

It comes after a UK Supreme Court judgement ruled last week that the Christian-focused RE taught in Northern Ireland was unlawful.

In a letter to schools, Stormont's Education Minister Paul Givan said that the judgement was complex but had not struck down existing legislation.

He said schools were also legally required to hold collective worship like assemblies each day.

Paul Givan is wearing a white shirt, blue tie and a navy blazer. He has short grey and black hair. The top of a poppy is visible on his left hand side. The background is blurry. Image source, PA Media
Image caption,

Paul Givan provided guidance to school principals in response to a UK Supreme Court judgement that the Christian-focused RE taught in Northern Ireland was unlawful

Givan's letter said that under the current law, "controlled schools must provide undenominational Religious Education based on the holy scriptures".

He said the judgement had ruled RE had not been taught in an "objective, critical and pluralist manner, and that collective worship was similarly not conveyed in such a way".

What did the Supreme Court rule?

The UK's most powerful court ruled that Christian-focused religious education (RE) in Northern Ireland schools is unlawful because it is not objective, critical or pluralist.

The case centred on a Belfast primary school girl, born to non-religious parents, who did not want their daughter to be raised as a Christian.

The controversy began when the girl came home from class and began to recite prayers before meals, telling her family she had learned to do so in school.

The girl and her father subsequently took legal action, concerned that pupils in Northern Ireland were being taught to assume that Christianity was "an absolute truth".

The court also ruled that exercising the right to withdraw a child from RE lessons and worship could place an undue burden on an objecting parent.

The judges stressed the case was "not about secularism" in education and insisted that no-one was suggesting that RE should not be provided in schools.

A teacher is at the board in a school classroom. In the foreground are three children including one boy on the left with dark hair and a red jumper, a girl with fair hair and a red jumper and a girl with blonde hair and grey and white clothing.Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Givan also said the RE syllabus would be reformed and he would set out how soon

On Friday, Givan said the judgement recognised that Christianity is the main religion in Northern Ireland, and the greater part of RE would still focus on knowledge of Christianity.

But he said the RE syllabus would be reformed and he would set out how soon.

"The area of collective worship requires further consideration," the letter continued.

"While parents have the right to withdraw their child, the Supreme Court found that current arrangements did not meet legal requirements."

Givan's letter stated that he would provide further comprehensive and "legally sound" guidance to schools in the coming weeks.

But it also said the department had "requested further legal advice to understand the full implications of the judgment".

Keith Wysner smiling wearing a pinstripe blazer, a white shirt and a red patterned tie.Image source, Whiteabbey Primary School
Image caption,

Keith Wysner is the principal of Whiteabbey Primary School

Keith Wysner, the principal of Whiteabbey Primary School, said it is "fairly straight forward" to be able to separate Religious Education and the practice of faith within schools.

"We have to look at RE as a subject area and see the faiths and beliefs of our school and our community as being our ethos and values, and I think the two overlap and yet can be distinguished separately," he told BBC Radio Ulster's Talkback programme.

He said Article 14 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) said every child has a right to "think and believe what they choose", as long as it doesn't stop others from practicing theirs.

"I think that's a message and an underlying sentiment that I would want taken on board with any of the changes that are being implemented," Mr Wysner added.

"What we're trying to do should be inclusive, it should be embracing, it should be celebrating diversity, it shouldn't be attempting to neutralise everybody."

Analysis: What is the significance of this development?

Schools have been looking to the education minister and his department for advice on exactly what the UK Supreme Court ruling means for them.

In his first direct communication to principals, Paul Givan has said the judgement is significant and cannot be ignored but he has effectively told them to hold steady for now.

He has also reminded them that under a Northern Irish law that is almost 40 years old they have existing legal obligations to deliver RE and hold collective worship.

The Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986, external requires that schools hold "collective worship whether in one or more than one assembly" every day.

The law also requires RE "based upon the holy scriptures" to be delivered, though in some schools Boards of Governors have more say in what RE is delivered as long as it is in line with the curriculum.

In his letter the minister has said that the RE curriculum will be reformed.

But arrangements for things like religious assemblies might be more complex, and the minister is promising further guidance on that in the coming weeks.