Minute's silence held for boy fatally hit by train

Players and football fans at the City Ground in Nottingham stand in silence before kick-off at the Forest game against Brighton on 30 November 2025 in memory of Joshua Travis. A black and white image of the teenager appears on a screen behind the stands. Image source, PA Media
Image caption,

Both Forest and Brighton players wore black armbands for the match

  • Published

Nottingham Forest have held a minute's silence in memory of teenager Joshua Travis who was fatally hit by a train in Nottinghamshire.

The 14-year-old, who was a former academy player at the club, died on Wednesday evening when he was struck in Burton Joyce.

Joshua's death is not being treated as suspicious, the British Transport Police (BTP) said. Inquiries by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) are ongoing.

On Sunday, players and supporters observed a minute's silence at Forest's City Ground ahead of their Premier League game against Brighton.

Players from both sides also wore black armbands.

Joshua Travis, a 14-year-old boy with mousey brown hair. He is wearing a school uniform and appears to be standing in front of a wardrobe and he his smiling.Image source, British Transport Police
Image caption,

Joshua's family said his death left a gap in their lives that would be "impossible to fill"

In a tribute on social media, Forest said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of Joshua, who previously an academy goalkeeper.

A number of Nottinghamshire-based clubs also paid tribute.

Aspire FC, based in Gedling, said Joshua was a "fantastic goalkeeper and a great character", adding he made a real impact in his age group at the club.

The club said it postponed all games at the weekend out of respect for Joshua and had set up an online fundraiser to support his family.

In a statement released through the BTP on Saturday, Joshua's family said he was "a lad with an incredible energy for life, an infectious and mischievous smile, kind sparkling eyes, and so much love to give".

Floral tributes left at the Chestnut Grove footpath railway crossing in Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire
Image caption,

Dozens of bouquets of flowers were left at the gates of the Chestnut Grove footpath crossing in Burton Joyce

A number of floral tributes were also left at the scene at the Chestnut Grove footpath level crossing in Burton Joyce, which was closed to the public for an initial 21 days.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch said it was carrying out a preliminary investigation into the fatal incident.

A spokesperson for the RAIB said a decision on any further action in relation to the matter would be taken once evidence gathered by inspectors had been reviewed.

Network Rail's route director for the East Midlands Mark Budden said: "Safety is our top priority and we are fully supporting the RAIB as part of their ongoing inquiries."

Get in touch

Tell us which stories we should cover in Nottingham

Follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, external, on X, external, or on Instagram, external. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk, external or via WhatsApp, external on 0808 100 2210.

Related topics

Related internet links