Nottinghamshire

Latest Updates

  1. 'The best we've seen in a lifetime'published at 15:46 26 August

    Pat Riddell
    Fan writer

    Nottingham Forest fan's voice banner
    Nottingham Forest playersImage source, Getty Images

    While the debate around the manager continues, the focus on Nottingham Forest's squad has been somewhat overlooked. With just under a week left of the transfer window, the Reds are still keen to add a goalkeeper and a couple of full-backs.

    But the business done so far has strengthened the Reds' squad to the extent that it's quite easily the best we've seen in a lifetime. There have been several times over the past decade that we've had two players for each position - probably three after the flurry of activity following promotion in 2022 - but not to this level of quality.

    The addition of Douglas Luiz last week has given the midfield some solid Premier League and European experience while Dan Ndoye has already proved his worth with a goal and an assist in his first two games.

    The first XI from last season remains intact, with the exception of Anthony Elanga, but as Nuno likes to say, he now has "options". The calibre of players on the bench in the last campaign was not enough to keep the Reds in the top five. This time around we hope it's sufficient to keep the season alive on four fronts.

    With the Europa League draw being made on Friday, the volume of games will demand that the manager maximises the players at his disposal - with 50-60 games likely to take place, finding that balance is going to prove crucial.

    But this is not a squad shy of experience - Sels, Milenkovic, Ndoye, Luiz, Aina, Kalimuendo, Sangare and Dominguez, to name a few, have all played on the continent and offer an optimistic outlook on Forest's European adventure.

    With a relatively low net spend this summer, the strength of the squad and the united support of the fans, we can only hope sense prevails at the top level of the club as everything else is pointing in the right direction.

    Find more from Pat Riddell at The Famous Club, external

  2. 'I can appreciate Nuno's concerns - but ultimately he created the narrative'published at 11:05 26 August

    Media caption,

    Watch former England international Steph Houghton and Nottingham Forest podcaster Max Hayes discuss the apparent breakdown in relationship between manager Nuno Espirito Santo and manager Evangelos Marinakis.

    Nuno told media his relationship with Marinakis had changed last week, sparking concerns over his future at the club. Since his statements, his side earned a draw at Crystal Palace and talk of his potential exit has quietened.

    "It does seem a bit reactionary to then be able to speak to the media in that way," Houghton told BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club.

    "It does seem a bit confusing."

    Supporter Hayes added: "You look at Forest's ownership model over the last few years and it has been all over the place.

    "There's been a lack of stability so I can appreciate Nuno's concerns."

    Watch the full episode on BBC iPlayer and listen on BBC Sounds

    Watch on BBC iPlayer banner
    Listen on BBC Sounds banner
  3. Will Nuno stay on as Forest boss?published at 09:58 25 August

    Emma Smith
    BBC Sport journalist

    Media caption,

    Nuno Espirito Santo says he will not quit as Nottingham Forest manager, but cannot guarantee he will still be in charge by the end of the transfer window.

    The 51-year-old's future was left in doubt when he revealed on Friday how his relationship with owner Evangelos Marinakis had "changed" and they "are not as close".

    Following Sunday's 1-1 Premier League draw at Crystal Palace, Nuno said he would not walk away.

    "It is absurd. Never," he added, having earlier said it was "nonsense" that he was trying to engineer his own exit.

    However, the Portuguese did not provide guarantees he would be at Forest beyond 1 September as he revealed discussions will take place with Marinakis and Edu, the club's global head of football, over transfers.

    While Nuno may hope to find a resolution to stay, can he really expect to come out on top in a dispute with the owner and head of football?

    "This is a battle that Nuno will lose," European football expert Julien Laurens told BBC Radio 5 Live.

    "We all know that once you start questioning your owner, it's done. For him to come out with this unprompted - he offered it to the whole world - he knows that it is coming and that he can't win this battle.

    "We also know that him and Edu don't get on. He was already there when Edu arrived at the club, and we all know when a new sporting director arrives, they like to come with their own people."

    Read more on Nuno and whether he will leave Forest here

  4. Crystal Palace 1-1 Nottingham Forest- the fans' verdictpublished at 08:20 25 August

    Your opinions graphic
    Media caption,

    We asked for your thoughts after Sunday's Premier League game between Crystal Palace and Nottingham Forest.

    Here are some of your comments:

    Palace fans

    Leslie: I thought Palace had the upper hand first half but very subdued in the second half. Probably a point each way is about right, but we need some signings - and quick.

    Andy: Not a bad performance, but inconsistent defending led to the equaliser, with Mitchell not goalside. Overall a positive day and we need to keep this going forward for Thursday.

    Adrian: I thought we did really well considering how tired the players looked at the end and how small the squad is. Could have won the game in that first half, but Forest deserved their point in the end. Need about five new players including two attackers.

    Forest fans

    Sean: On any given day Crystal Palace are a very tough team to play against, even if all the headlines are about Eze. The rest of the team are still very difficult to beat, even more so at a riled-up Selhurst Park. So to come away with a battling draw, and a goal that was the result of Nuno tactically tweaking the line-up, is pleasing. Good to see some of the new signings getting some minutes too. There's some promise there. Sels made some good saves too.

    John: Not enough intensity in the first half but a better second-half display - 1-1 a fair result.

    Luke: A tricky hurdle, which was made even trickier by the events on Friday, has been navigated. Positives to take from the game, and arguably we should have won it with the chances at the end. You can only imagine the new signings will get better as they bed in, and you can see this squad doing well - if the Nuno situation is resolved swiftly.