Summary

  • Five people have been found alive a day after a tourist boat capsized in the Red Sea, Egypt's local governor says

  • In addition to those found alive, four bodies have also been recovered

  • There were 44 people on the Sea Story for a diving trip when it sank - 33 have been rescued and seven are still missing, including two Britons

  • The Sea Story left port on Sunday for a five-day trip - those on board say it sank within five to seven minutes after hitting a large wave

  1. Which countries were the people on board from?published at 11:34 Greenwich Mean Time 26 November 2024

    As the search continues, here is what we know so far about the people who were on board the Sea Story.

    The BBC understands two of those missing are British.

    Finland said one of its nationals was unaccounted for, while authorities say four Egyptians are also missing.

    The crew of the Sea Story are all Egyptians, according to the local council in Marsa Alam.

    The tourists on board included five Spanish, four British, four Germans and two US nationals.

    The Red Sea governor said there was also an Irish person on board the ship, but it is not known if they are among the missing.

    The Chinese embassy in Egypt confirmed two of its nationals were rescued and “in good health”.

  2. Watch: Survivors helped ashorepublished at 11:18 Greenwich Mean Time 26 November 2024

    As we've reported, three bodies have reportedly been recovered from the Sea Story, which sank in the Red Sea on Monday.

    There were 44 people on board - 31 tourists, and 13 crew members. This video shows some of the 28 people who were rescued on Monday coming to shore.

    With news of three bodies recovered this morning, it means 13 people are still missing.

    Media caption,

    Survivors helped ashore after Red Sea tourist boat sinking

  3. Reports say three bodies recoveredpublished at 11:06 Greenwich Mean Time 26 November 2024
    Breaking

    Three bodies have been recovered from the capsized tourist boat in the Red Sea, Reuters news agency reports, quoting the Red Sea governor Amr Hanafi.

    As a reminder, 28 people were rescued after the boat sank, with 16 missing.

  4. Why did the boat sink?published at 11:04 Greenwich Mean Time 26 November 2024

    The Sea Story tourist boat made a distress call before dawn on Monday.

    Amr Hanafi, governor of the Red Sea region, said that according to those on board, a "high sea wave" hit the boat and caused it to capsize in "about five or seven minutes".

    Some passengers were inside their cabins, "which is why they couldn't get out".

    The Egyptian Meteorological Authority warned of high waves on the Red Sea and advised against maritime activity on Sunday and Monday.

    Wind speeds were between 37-43 mph (60-70 kmph) and wave heights were three to four metres (10-13ft) high.

    Sea Storey yachtImage source, Red Sea governate
  5. Search continues for 16 people missing in Red Seapublished at 11:01 Greenwich Mean Time 26 November 2024

    Welcome to our live coverage, as the search resumes for 16 people who have been missing in the Red Sea since their tourist boat sank on Monday.

    In total, 44 people were on the Sea Story, and 28 have been rescued. Two of the missing are British, the BBC understands.

    The Sea Story left port near the eastern town of Marsa Alam on Sunday for a five-day diving trip. It's thought it may have sank after being hit by a large wave.

    With our team in Egypt, we'll have all the latest news on this page, so stay with us.

    Map showing location of boat sinking near Marsa Alam on Egyptian Red Sea coast