Summary

  • Updates from Monday 18 June until Friday 22 June 2018

  1. Two treated after toaster firepublished at 07:00 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    BBC Radio Devon

    Two women have been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a house in Exeter., external.

    Four crews were sent to New North Road at about 18:10 on Wednesday.

    The fire is thought to have been caused by a toaster.

  2. Family in immigration row £15k in debtpublished at 01:43 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    The Home Secretary has ordered a review of the use of the Section 322(5) rule in immigration cases.

    Read More
  3. Cannabis grower calls for law changepublished at 01:25 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    Chris Ostermeyer grew cannabis for pain relief purposes and was given a suspended jail sentence.

    Read More
  4. Map error causes 'embarrassment' at councilpublished at 17:59 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Richard Whitehouse
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    A councillor was forced to point out an error in a report which could have led to Cornwall Council's cabinet agreeing to buy a wrong set of affordable homes.

    Liskeard West and Dobwalls councillor Jane Pascoe told a cabinet meeting that a map showing the location of seven affordable homes the council is buying in Dobwalls was incorrect.

    It led to a flurry of activity with officers trying to check whether they did have the right location for the homes.

    She pointed out the error after asking why she had not been consulted about the plans to buy the homes. She said that a map showing where the seven homes are was wrong and showed Honey Meadows in Dobwalls rather than Lantoom Meadows.

    Cllr Pascoe said: "If I had been told about this I would have saved you the embarrassment of giving misleading information to this meeting and the public."

    Cabinet member for housing Andrew Mitchell and council leader Adam Paynter both apologised to Cllr Pascoe, saying that they had been told that local members had been told about the projects.

    Before the item was voted on, it was established that while the map was incorrect all the other details about the Dobwalls homes were correct.

  5. Baby death: 'Only right killer dad was jailed'published at 17:55 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Andrew Segal
    BBC Local Live

    A children's charity says it is "only right" that a man from Plymouth was jailed for shaking his six-month-old son to death.

    Lee Sweet, 26, was jailed for five years and four months at Plymouth Crown Court on Tuesday.

    Lee SweetImage source, Devon and Cornwall Police

    Sweet had initially denied causing the fatal injuries which killed his son, Ruben Sweet-Harris, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter over the death in May 2017.

    The NSPCC said: "Sweet inflicted appalling injuries on his defenceless baby son, ending his life, and it is only right that he is now behind bars."

  6. University quotes Rommel in student emailpublished at 17:46 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    The email was sent by the University of Exeter's career advice service to students and staff.

    Read More
  7. Stopped driver 'lifted Sgt by nostrils'published at 17:43 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    David Bull is accused of putting a police officer in a "choking headlock" after he was pulled over.

    Read More
  8. Torquay bring in winger Bantonpublished at 17:40 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Brent Pilnick
    BBC Sport

    Torquay United have signed former Plymouth Argyle winger Jason Banton.

    The 25-year-old, who made 46 appearances for the Pilgrims over two spells between 2013 and 2015 is the third new signing this summer by boss Gary Owers.

    Jason BantonImage source, Getty Images

    The Gulls will be the 13th club Banton has been on the books of, having been relegated alongside Torquay to National League South with Woking at the end of last season.

    Banton, who has also played for the likes of MK Dons, Crawley Town and Notts County scored for Argyle in their 2015 League Two play-off semi-final loss against Wycombe.

  9. Weather: Staying dry but with some cloudpublished at 17:26 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Alex Osborne
    BBC Weather

    Cloud continuing to break this evening to leave some late sunny spells. Then tonight, it will be dry with clear spells.

    Feeling cooler compared to recent nights.

    Minimum temperature: 6 to 11C (43 to 52F).

    Weather

    A fresher feel to the weather but it looks like staying dry with some sunny spells; just a partial build up of cloud is expected.

    Maximum temperature: 14 to 18C (57 to 64F).

  10. St Agnes hole 'an old culvert rather than mineshaft'published at 17:14 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Clare Woodling
    BBC Spotlight

    A hole which has appeared in St Agnes appears to be an old culvert rather than a mineshaft, engineers say.

    Staff from Cormac are digging up the road to assess the extent of the surface collapse and will fill in to repair the road's stability.

    The contractor said the hole was "small at the top", but wider under the surface and about 1.6m (5ft 3ins) deep.

    The road is open to small vehicles, with traffic management in place, although it was likely that it would be closed "at some point", Cormac said. The road is closed to heavy goods vehicles already.

    Cormac added that it expected to have completed the work by the end of Friday.

  11. Devon travel: Accident on Tavistock Road, Plymouthpublished at 17:12 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    BBC Radio Devon

    In Plymouth the Tavistock Road inbound is partially blocked between The George junction and Derriford roundabout due to an accident.

  12. Big problem at a tiny clubpublished at 17:02 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  13. Man suffers back injuries in Plymouth three-car crashpublished at 16:53 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    BBC Radio Devon

    A man with suspected back injuries has been freed from a car after he was left trapped inside it in a multi-vehicle crash in Plymouth.

    Firefighters said three cars were involved in the crash in King's Road, Devonport, at about 12:20.

    The occupants of the two other cars were free of their vehicles when fire crews arrived.

    Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said, external the injured man was cut free with hydraulic rescue equipment before being taken to hospital.

  14. Meeting to debate Penzance-Scilly heliport cancelledpublished at 16:26 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Richard Whitehouse
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    A planning committee meeting expected to decide whether a new heliport could be built in Penzance has been cancelled.

    Cornwall Council's strategic planning committee was due to meet on 28 June and expected to have the Penzance Heliport planning application on its agenda.

    Cornwall Council said that the meeting had been cancelled so that technical issues could be resolved by the applicants.

    The council also said that committee chairman Rob Nolan had requested that a public meeting be held about the application before it went to the committee.

    Helicopter on Isles of Scilly

    No dates have yet been set for that public meeting or when the committee will consider the application.

    Robert Dorrien-Smith, from Penzance Heliport, said: "We are sorry to announce the Penzance Heliport planning application ... has been deferred after requests for further information."

    The £2m project by Penzance Heliport Ltd, led by Mr Dorrien-Smith, the owner of Tresco, to restart flights from the town to St Mary's and Tresco has been mired in controversy, including objections and a legal challenge from the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company (ISSC).

    The steamship company also then launched its own helicopter service from Land's End Airport to St Mary's last month (pictured).

  15. Exeter find out Champions Cup opponentspublished at 16:02 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Brent Pilnick
    BBC Sport

    Exeter will face french champions Castres in their Champions Cup pool.

    Exeter v SaracensImage source, Getty Images

    The draw for Europe's elite rugby competition also sees England's Premiership runners up face a first-ever trip to Cork where they will face Munster.

    Their final opponents are West County rivals Gloucester, who finished seventh in the Premiership last season.

  16. Devon travel: Problems in Torquay and Heathfieldpublished at 15:50 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    BBC Radio Devon

    • In Torquay, on St Marychurch Road, at the junction of Forest Road, there are reports of an accident. Traffic is slow-moving
    • Near Bovey Tracey, on Battle Road in Heathfield, near Newton Road, there are reports of an accident
  17. Man 'lifted police officer by the nose in assault'published at 15:37 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Ben Woolvin
    BBC South West Home Affairs correspondent

    A man accused of "savage levels of violence" lifted a male police officer off the ground by putting two fingers into his nostrils, and dislocated a female officer's knee, leaving her leg at a 90-degree angle, a court has heard.

    David Bull, 37, of Chapel Street in Luton, Bedfordshire, has appeared at Plymouth Crown Court on four charges of assaulting the Devon and Cornwall officers in Tavistock in 12 April 2017.

    David Bull

    Mr Bull has pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) to Sgt Dave Clarke, but said he did not intend to cause that level of harm.

    He denies causing GBH to PC Mashford and causing GBH with intent to both officers.

    The case continues.

  18. Homeless man feels 'safe' in B&Bpublished at 15:14 British Summer Time 20 June 2018

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    A homeless man in Torbay says he now feels "safe" after staying at a bed and breakfast opened by a man who was behind a controversial campaign to expose what he called "fake homeless".

    Ray Croft is one of five people staying at Ashley Sims' B&B which provides temporary accommodation to those living on the streets.

    Mr Sims received national coverage earlier this year for exposing what he called "professional beggars".

    Mr Croft, who became homeless after losing part of his leg in a motorcycle accident, is happy he has a place to stay.

    Torbay Council say it plans to spend £279,785 to tackle rough sleeping - a grant from the government.