Summary

  • Woman charged with murder after death in Paignton

  • Man arrested after Post Office burglary in Exeter

  • Dolphins 'distressed' by water scooters near Falmouth

  • Totnes MP Sarah Wollaston faces by-election calls after quitting Tories

  • Arrests in Cornwall in county lines drugs raids

  • Brexit delay would be worst of all worlds - Cornwall MP Eustice says after quitting as minister

  • Updates from Friday 1 March 2019

  1. Scientific study into felines welcomed by local cat ownerpublished at 16:53 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    A new study at the University of Exeter - looking at ways cat owners might reduce the amount their felines hunt British wildlife - has been welcomed by one cat owner in Devon.

    The university is seeking people who can take part in the scientific study.

    The study will involve some cats wearing GPS trackers and owners monitoring what their cats bring in.

    This woman from Holsworthy thinks the study will bring in interesting results if the habits of her own cats are anything to go by...

  2. Repeat animal cruelty couple banned from keeping animalspublished at 16:44 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Johnny O'Shea
    BBC News Online

    A couple from Cornwall have been banned from keeping all animals for life after admitting a number of animal welfare offences.

    Jonathan Champion, 46, and Amanda Miles, 45, from Callington admitted breaching an existing ban, along with further offences relating to dogs, cats, and birds in their care.

    Champion was also jailed for eight weeks, while Miles received an eight-week suspended sentence at Bodmin Magistrates Court.

    Both Champion and Miles were already banned from keeping dogs for life at Truro Crown Court in 2016.

    dogImage source, GREYHOUND RESCUE WEST OF ENGLAND
    Image caption,

    Champion was jailed for four months in 2016 for cruelty to 14 dogs, including Flora

    The court heard Champion breached the order by buying a pointer called Chopper.

    He admitted five animal welfare charges, including failing to provide adequate veterinary care for a cat with an eye condition.

    Miles admitted four charges, including aiding and abetting Champion in breaching his ban, and the same charge relating to the cat.

    The couple have been given 21 days to make arrangements for the animals.

  3. Waitrose to close Torquay and Teignmouth storespublished at 16:36 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    BBC Radio Devon

    The Waitrose stores in Torquay and Teignmouth are being sold off to rival retailers, it has been announced.

    Five stores are being sold in total - affecting 440 staff - the John Lewis Partnership said.

    The retail partnership paid out its lowest bonus to staff since the 1950s after profits fell last year.

    Chairman, Sir Charlie Mayfield said it's been a "challenging year" and that Brexit and retail failures are taking their toll.

    The Waitrose store on St Marychurch Rd in TorquayImage source, Google
    Image caption,

    The Waitrose store on St Marychurch Rd in Torquay will close

  4. Devon travel: Chair on carriageway on A38published at 16:15 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Twitter

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  5. Cornwall travel: A3059 blocked near Newquay Airportpublished at 15:17 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    BBC Radio Cornwall

    In Newquay, the A3059 is blocked in both directions between Priory Road and Carloggas Road near Newquay Airport due to an overturned van.

  6. Irish backstop deadlock plans 'as clear as day' - Coxpublished at 15:09 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    The Chancellor, Philip Hammond, has warned Brexit-supporting Conservative MPs that voting against the government's withdrawal deal next week would mean entering "highly uncertain" territory.

    EU officials say they'll work non-stop over the weekend if "acceptable" ideas are received by Friday to break the deadlock over the so-called Northern Ireland "backstop."

    In the Commons, the Attorney General, Torridge and West Devon MP Geoffrey Cox, denied claims that proposals from the UK hadn't been spelt out clearly...

  7. Woman died in Land's End yacht crashpublished at 14:33 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Mary Unwin's boat crashed while she was trying to sail from Cornwall to Devon to surprise her husband.

    Read More
  8. Historic Plymouth pier to be restored for Mayflower 400published at 12:38 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Ed Oldfield
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    A pier which was part of Plymouth's historic emigration centre is to be repaired by the city council in time for the Mayflower 400, external celebrations next year.

    The scheme will see public access restored to Phoenix Wharf Pier off Madeira Road, which links the Barbican to the Hoe.

    The structure is in the area originally known as the Baltic Wharf Depot, which was the base of Plymouth's emigration centre set up by the government in 1847.

    It processed people setting out on chartered ships for a new life in British colonies in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South East Asia and South America.

    The former pier master's house at Phoenix Wharf Pier in PlymouthImage source, LDRS

    Most of the wharf buildings were knocked down in the 1930s when Madeira Road was built, leaving the former pier master's house and Phoenix Wharf Pier.

    The house has been empty since 2016 and the pier is dangerous and fenced off.

    A report by Plymouth City Council said "restoring the pier will improve the prospects of the pier master's house becoming commercially viable to be leased out".

    City council leader Tudor Evans has decided to use £150,000 set aside for Mayflower 400 public realm improvements and allocate £510,000 from the council's capital programme to fund the work.

  9. Rockfish restaurant will 'transform' Sidmouth sitepublished at 12:13 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Daniel Clark
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Popular seafood restaurant Rockfish is set to take over and transform a redundant Sidmouth seafront site.

    East Devon District Council's cabinet unanimously decided to select Rockfish's bid as their preferred bid for the redevelopment and renewal of Drill Hall on Wednesday night.

    Negotiations will now begin with Mitch Tonks' chain - which already has a portfolio of restaurants in Exmouth, Exeter, Dartmouth, Brixham, Plymouth and Torquay - to complete the deal.

    Drill Hall, within the Port Royal site, on Sidmouth seafrontImage source, Daniel Clark

    Councillor David Barratt said the new restaurant will be "transformational" for that part of the town.

    "The Port Royal area has been desperate for something like this and it can be the catalyst to move forward on the whole of the area.

    "It will be a destination, a landmark, and a huge positive for residents and visitors, and we must not let it slip through our fingers," he said.

    Final negotiations with Rockfish are now under way, but a planning application could come in during the next few months.

    If this is the case, work could begin in September and the restaurant could be open by next summer.

  10. Dartington Hall gets 'largest single donation in 40 years'published at 12:05 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    The Dartington Hall Trust has received a £2m gift - the largest single donation in 40 years - to help transform the estate.

    Six months ago, the trust began the fundraising and investment phase of a transformation strategy to make Dartington a testbed and model for a sustainable society.

    The anonymous donation is the largest since the deaths of its founders, Dorothy and Leonard Elmhirst.

    The money will be used to secure the future of the college at the Old Postern and is a "major step forward in realising Dartington’s strategic five-year plan", the trust said.

    The Old Postern at Dartington HallImage source, Dartington Hall Trust
    Quote Message

    We are enormously grateful for this major donation which will enable us to revitalise our purpose and identity as a centre of progressive learning. Our work to restore learning to its rightful place at the heart of Dartington’s mission sits alongside numerous other improvements around the estate.

    Rhodri Samuel, CEO of the Dartington Hall Trust

  11. Power cut in PL3 area of Plymouthpublished at 11:43 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    There is a power cut in the PL3 area of Plymouth, Western Power Distribution has said.

    It added engineers are working to fix the issue and power supplies should be restored by 13:00.

    power cutImage source, Western Power Distribution
  12. Teignbridge Council encourages locals to self-build homespublished at 11:32 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    John Ayres
    BBC Spotlight

    People living in Teignbridge are being encouraged to build their own houses by the local council.

    Teignbridge District Council says it has earmarked 160 sites for such projects.

    In 2016, it became the first council in the country requiring developers to put aside serviced plots for self-builds.

    The council believes people who self-build will naturally become "more engaged" in their local community as a result and it can be much cheaper than buying a home.

    Dr Andrew Dale, who lives in Ogwell near Newton Abbot, built his own home...

    Media caption,

    Teignbridge District Council says it has earmarked 160 sites for such projects

    Quote Message

    They can sort out the costs and work out what their dream house will cost. They just need to find the site and we're here to help.

    Councillor Jeremy Christophers, Leader of Teignbridge District Council

  13. Injured Nowell misses England gamepublished at 10:39 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Brent Pilnick
    BBC Sport

    Exeter's Jack Nowell misses out on England's Six Nations game with Italy at Twickenham as no Chiefs players make the starting XV.

    Jack NowellImage source, Getty Images

    Winger has not recovered from a shoulder injury and is replaced in England's team by Bath's Joe Cokanasiga.

    England boss Eddie Jones has made five changes against bottom side Italy, with Henry Slade, Ben Moon and Luke Cowan-Dickie all on the bench.

  14. Tory uni group suspended over T-shirtspublished at 10:24 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    The photo appearing to show a group of students sporting offensive slogans was widely shared.

    Read More
  15. Newlyn pub fire: 'I just stood there and watched it burn'published at 10:14 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Eleanor Parkinson
    BBC Spotlight

    A woman who lost the home she has lived in for more than 80 years - after a fire in a neighbouring pub spread - is looking for a new place to live in the town.

    Pat Plumbridge, 93, was left homeless when The Fisherman's Arms in Newlyn, Cornwall caught fire last month.

    damaged bedroom

    Mrs Plumbridge has been taken in by a friend and neighbour and local people have rallied with gifts of clothes.

    However, she has to be out of the house in two weeks because it has been let for the summer.

    She says she wants to stay in the town because she has no relatives "so I've only got my friends in Newlyn and I need them round me at the moment".

    Mrs Plumbridge has been recalling what happened on the night of the fire...

  16. Plymouth city centre set for revamp under £150m planspublished at 09:45 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Parts of Plymouth city centre are to undergo major upgrades to support a multimillion-pound series of new leisure and property developments.

    The city council’s Labour-run cabinet has approved plans to improve Old Town Street and the top section of New George Street, and restore the Civic Square at the bottom of Armada Way.

    Councillors were told the work would support the £150m investment in projects due to be finished in the next 12 months.

    The £10m Old Town Street improvements will provide a better link between the £50m Drake Circus development and Drake Circus shopping mall.

    Plymouth City Centre plansImage source, Plymouth City Council

    The new leisure scheme due to open this autumn will feature a 12-screen cinema with a high-quality IMAX along with 12 restaurants.

    The work will also improve the pedestrian route to The Box culture and heritage centre in North Hill, due to open in spring next year.

    Councillor Mark Lowry, cabinet member for finance, said as well as the projects in front of the committee, the council was bidding for £25m from the government’s high streets fund, external, had invested £3.5m in the covered market, bought the empty Toys R Us building and was redeveloping Colin Campbell Court.

  17. Kvesic relishing Exeter Chiefs rolepublished at 09:16 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Exeter back row Matt Kvesic says recapturing his enjoyment for rugby is the reason for his upturn in form.

    Read More
  18. Torquay hotel redevelopment plans up for scrutinypublished at 09:01 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    BBC Radio Devon

    Plans to redevelop the vast Palace Hotel in Torquay go on show later.

    The proposals - from a group called Fragrance Investment and a local architect firm - will be displayed at Torquay Museum.

    The 248-room hotel on Babbacombe Road was one of a number in the Bay bought by Singapore based Fragrance last year.

    The plans also include 38 new homes.

    Palace hotel
  19. Calls for accident stats on Cornish road signspublished at 08:54 Greenwich Mean Time 7 March 2019

    Richard Whitehouse
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Welcome to Cornwall signImage source, Lewis Clarke

    Road signs on the Cornish border should state: “Welcome to Cornwall x number of people died here last year please drive carefully”, a councillor has said.

    The suggestion was made at a Cornwall Council committee meeting - which was discussing a road casualty reduction strategy.

    Councillor Mike Thomas, who raised the idea, admitted that “not everyone will like” having such details on a sign but said it could help encourage people to drive more safely.

    Cornwall Council, working with partners including the police, is reviewing the road casualty reduction strategy after seeing the number of people killed or seriously injured rise by 34% since 2013 when the strategy was first published., external

    Nigel Blackler, head of transportation at Cornwall Council, told the committee that between 2007 and 2017 the amount of traffic on Cornwall’s roads has increased by 9.3%.