'Not true' that Truss told King Charles to stay away from Cop27published at 11:46 British Summer Time 2 October 2022
Levelling Up Secretary Simon Clarke has denied a Sunday Times report that said Liz Truss "ordered" King Charles to "stay away" from next month's Cop27 climate change summit.
Speaking on Times Radio, Clarke said the Sunday Times claims were "simply not true", and that the decision that the King should not attend the summit in Cairo had been taken "consensually" between the Government and the Palace.
"It's been clear this is a decision that has been made consensually between the King and the Government," he told Times Radio. "That is a decision that has been made amicably, as far as I am aware, between the Palace and the Government. The suggestions this morning that he was ordered to stay away are simply not true.
"I think it is very different when you are the host country for a major event like Cop to have the head of state involved, as opposed to the head of state going to what is an event being hosted in Egypt.
"It is the normal course of matters that this would be handled by the Government rather than by the monarchy."