Summary

  • The latest daily reported death total for the UK (29,427) is now higher than the total for Italy (29,315)

  • The UK has reached this figure faster in its epidemic than Italy, but there are caveats to the comparison

  • Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab says there will be no "real verdict" until the pandemic is over

  • The worldwide Covid-19 death toll is now above 250,000, according to Johns Hopkins University

  • Europe's first-known case may have emerged almost a month earlier than thought, French doctor suggests after re-testing patient

  • New Zealand prime minister discusses "Trans-Tasman travel bubble" with Australian cabinet

  1. Thanks for joining uspublished at 22:40 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    And on that note, we pause today's live coverage of coronavirus developments.

    Here's a reminder of the main stories from Tuesday:

    • The number of people who have died in the UK has risen to 29,427 - the highest death toll from coronavirus in Europe
    • Prof Neil Ferguson, whose advice to the UK prime minister led to the country's lockdown, has resigned after admitting breaking social distancing measures
    • Evidence is emerging that the outbreak may have spread to Europe almost a month earlier than previously thought, after samples from a French patient tested positive for the virus
    • The White House coronavirus task force is winding down
    • The worldwide death toll in the pandemic has risen to over 255,000, with 3.6m confirmed cases, according to Johns Hopkins University

    Our live coverage was brought to you by: Yvette Tan, Saira Asher, Krutika Pathi, Frances Mao, Alix Kroeger, Alex Kleiderman, Rebecca Seales, Joshua Cheetham, Steve Sutcliffe, Emlyn Begley, Michael Emons, Doug Faulkner, Robin Levinson King, Max Matza, Vicky Bisset, Claudia Allen and Paulin Kola.

  2. Don't rule out summer in Majorcapublished at 22:38 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    A woman wearing a face mask walks along a beach on the island of LanzaroteImage source, Reuters
    Image caption,

    Spain's Balearic and Canary Islands (pictured) are heavily reliant on tourism

    Well, some of those dreams we have referred to earlier may include people wondering what's going to happen to their summer holidays.

    Germany's federal tourism commissioner Thomas Bareiss is sounding optimistic. In a newspaper interview, Mr Bareiss said holidays abroad in Europe might be possible if the outbreak stays under control.

    While that probably means travel to neighbouring countries like France, Poland and Austria, "I would not yet write off other regions in Europe, such as the Balearic Islands or the Greek islands".

    You can read more about it here.

  3. Why am I having weird lockdown dreams?published at 22:36 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Lockdowns in several countries caused by the coronavirus pandemic seem to be having an effect on people's dreams.

    Many of you say you're having unusually vivid ones - some of them mildly wacky, and some full-on nightmares. But why is this happening and what can you do to make your sleep more peaceful?

    We asked an expert:

    Media caption,

    Coronavirus dreams: Why are people having lockdown nightmares?

  4. Top US general contradicts Wuhan lab theorypublished at 22:32 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    The highest-ranking military general in the US has contradicted reports that the coronavirus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

    “Did it come out of the virology lab in Wuhan? Did it occur in a wet market there in Wuhan? Did it occur somewhere else?"

    "And the answer to that is: 'We don’t know,'” Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley told Pentagon reporters on Tuesday.

    On Sunday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo promoted the theory, saying there was “a significant amount of evidence” that the virus came out of Chinese labratory.

    Other countries have been less quick to blame China, as BBC Security Correspondent Gordon Corera writes.

    Coronavirus: US allies tread lightly around Trump lab claims

  5. Trump: 'No mission accomplished'published at 22:25 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    With the White House coronavirus taskforce soon to be disbanded, reporters travelling with US President Trump on one of his first visits outside of Washington DC in over a month are asking if they will continue to be briefed by scientific experts.

    Mr Trump responds that the end of the taskforce is not a sign that the fight against the virus is over.

    "No, not at all. The mission accomplished is when it's over," he says.

    The president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner has been leading a parallel coronavirus group, which is more business focused.

    White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany has hit back at any suggestion that the scientific community is being sidelined by the US government.

    "Reporting on the task force is being misconstrued to suggest the White House is no longer involving medical experts. This is totally false," she tweeted.

    "President Donald Trump will continue his data-driven approach towards safely re-opening."

  6. Cinco De Mayo celebrations stay at homepublished at 22:20 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Unusual celebrations are expected to take place for Cinco De Mayo today.

    It marks the anniversary of the Mexican Army, external's victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla, external on 5 May 1862.

    Although, these days it is mostly celebrated in the US, where it has moved away from its roots and is now seen as an excuse for tacos and a party.

    On Twitter, people have used the hashtag #CincoAtHome as they seek to make the best of the situation, sharing pictures of homemade margaritas and plans to order deliveries of Mexican food.

    Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria – who has Mexican heritage – was among those raising a glass to the occasion.

    She has co-organised an online Cinco De Mayo event - featuring major Latin stars, including Gloria Estefan, Luis Fonsi and Juanes – to raise money for the farmworkers’ Covid-19 pandemic relief fund, external.

    Altisimo Live, external starts with a variety show at 15:00 EST (20:00 BST).

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  7. White House coronavirus taskforce to disbandpublished at 22:15 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    President Trump has said a "different group" will replace the White House coronavirus taskforce after it is expected to disband later this month.

    Speaking on a visit to the Honeywell facemask factory in Phoenix, Arizona, Mr Trump said the group - which includes health and disease experts - "have done a great job, but we’re now looking at a little bit of a different form, and that form is safety and opening".

    "And we’ll have a different group probably set up for that."

    According to US media, some members of the taskforce are just finding out through news reports that the group will be disbanded.

    Coronavirus: White House plans to disband virus task force

  8. Photo entries for Vienna museum collectionpublished at 22:13 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Vienna Museum has received 1,800 photos since asking people to submit pictures to document the coronavirus pandemic for future generations.

    The museum of the history of the city has received photos of masks, signs and plenty more since the appeal on 25 March.

    It asked for "photos of things that exemplify your new private or professional life in the times of corona" to be used in a collection in the museum.

    You can view some of the images they have received on the Vienna Museum website., external

    Shoppers in ViennaImage source, Getty Images
    Image caption,

    Austria has partly relaxed its lockdown measures

  9. Argentina suspends prisoner releasepublished at 22:11 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    A court in Argentina has suspended the release of prisoners during the pandemic after it emerged that violent offenders had been allowed to leave prison.

    The inmates who were released were considered to be at higher risk from Covid-19.

    The move had allowed hundreds of prisoners - including pregnant women - who had convicted of minor offences to return home in recent weeks.

    But there has been growing criticised after it emerged that people convicted of serious crimes - including one man who sexually abused a child - had been released.

    The court will decide whether to completely halt the releases in the coming days.

  10. French government drops fact-checking pagepublished at 22:04 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    The French government has taken down a controversial web page that aimed to expose fake news about coronavirus.

    "Désinfox Coronavirus" was launched last week to promote "trusted, verified sources of information". It included fact-checking articles from five leading outlets.

    The page drew fire from politicians and many journalists, who accused the government of favouring sympathetic media. The critics included editors from some of the newspapers singled out as "trusted".

    Announcing the removal of the page late on Tuesday, Culture minister Franck Riester said it had never been intended to denigrate any news source, but added that he understood the concerns raised.

  11. Cyber-spies hunt Covid-19 researchpublished at 22:02 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    The UK and US have issued a joint warning that cyber-spies are targeting the health sector.

    Hackers linked to foreign states have been hunting for information, including Covid-19 data and vaccine research, they say.

    UK sources say they have seen extensive activity but do not believe there has been any data theft so far.

    Those behind the activity are not named in the alert but are thought to include China, Russia and Iran. The three countries have all seen major outbreaks of the virus but have denied previous claims of involvement in such activity.

  12. Mink are latest animals to contract Covid-19published at 21:55 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Helen Briggs
    BBC Environment correspondent

    MinkImage source, Getty Images

    Mink have contracted coronavirus, adding to the list of animals known to be at risk of catching the virus.

    Mink at two fur farms in The Netherlands tested positive for Covid-19 a week ago.

    Last month, it was revealed that lions and tigers at a New York zoo had caught the disease from their keepers.

    Coronavirus could be "catastrophic" for endangered wildlife and we must act now to protect vulnerable species, Dr Peta Hitchens of the University of Melbourne said.

    Animal protection groups say the potential for disease spread is another reason for all fashion companies to go fur-free and for governments to shut down "this dirty trade".

    You can read the full story here.

  13. Barbers offering haircuts in defiance of rulespublished at 21:50 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Rules introduced by the British government to prevent the spread of Covid-19 have forced barber shops to close.

    But some are still offering haircuts illicitly, sometimes doubling the price.

    The BBC approached several barbers in south-east England to see how many are breaking the regulations.

    Here's what some had to say.

  14. Explorer hails hospital garden's role in his survivalpublished at 21:45 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    The famous British conservationist and explorer Robin Hanbury-Tenison has been through a few scrapes in his time and travels - and at the age of 83 he's just returned home after a five-week hospital battle against Covid-19. "I was in a pretty bad way, in an induced coma - it's a nasty business," he says. "I very nearly dropped out a lot of times".

    He partly credits his survival to the "Secret Garden" at Plymouth's Derriford Hospital. "They wheeled me down into this wonderful new garden. It was extraordinary - the moment when I came through was when the sun was on my face. Suddenly I came out of it."

    The garden is full of donated flowers from the cancelled Chelsea Flower and is a haven for both intensive care staff and recovering patients. Intensive care nurse Kate Tantam has posted pictures of the garden and its role in rehab on Twitter, external.

    Robin and Louella Hanbury-TenisonImage source, IRVING OF EXETER
    Image caption,

    Robin and Louella Hanbury-Tenison

  15. Canadian police investigate phone mast firespublished at 21:40 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Provincial police in Quebec are investigating a number of cellphone tower fires, which may be linked to conspiracy theories about 5G and coronavirus.

    Two separate fires in the neighbouring towns of Piedmont and Prévost were put out on Monday. A similar incident had occured on Friday in Laval.

    On Sunday, the town of Prévost had made a point of announcing on Facebook that there were no 5G towers in the area.

    Town spokesperson Mariepier Des Lauriers told Canadian media, external that a number of the town's residents have brought up those conspiracy theories, which suggest that 5G - which is the name for a type of technology used in mobile phone networks and relies on signals carried by radio waves - is responsible for coronavirus.

    The unfounded conspiracy is one of the most widespread pieces of coronavirus misinformation on the internet. Dozens of phone masts across the UK have been attacked.

  16. Who is Prof Neil Ferguson?published at 21:30 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    James Gallagher
    Health and science correspondent, BBC News

    Professor Neil Ferguson, who has quit his role as a UK government adviser after breaking social distancing rules, is one of the world’s most influential disease modellers.

    He is director of the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis. The centre’s mathematical predictions advise governments and the World Health Organization on outbreaks from Ebola in West Africa to the current pandemic.

    It was that group’s work, in early January, that alerted the world to the threat of coronavirus. It showed hundreds if not thousands of people were likely to have been infected in Wuhan, at a time when Chinese officials said there were only a few dozen cases.

    But he shot to public attention as “Professor Lockdown”.

    In mid-March, the maths showed the UK needed to change course or a quarter of a million people would die in a "catastrophic epidemic". Those calculations helped transform government policy and all lives.

  17. Lockdown risks to African countriespublished at 21:22 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    More than two thirds of people say they could run out of food and water if they had to stay at home for two weeks under coronavirus restrictions, a survey of people in 20 African countries has found.

    More than half said they would face financial difficulties.

    Many people on the continent work in the informal sector and have therefore been negatively impacted by lockdown measures.

    The research, which was conducted on behalf of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization, aims to advise countries on how to deal with the pandemic in the future.

    The researchers urged policy makers to balance the pandemic and social and economic disruptions, or else risk unrest.

    On Tuesday, Nigeria followed Egypt, Rwanda, South Africa and Tunisia in beginning to relax its coronavirus restrictions.

    A woman wearing a face covering waits for customers at a market in LagosImage source, EPA
    Image caption,

    Food markets opened in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos for the first time in five weeks

  18. Coronavirus found in the placentapublished at 21:14 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Michelle Roberts
    Health editor, BBC News online

    US researchers report the first known case of placental infection with pandemic coronavirus, also known as Sars-CoV-2. The experts from Yale School of Medicine say the 35-year-old woman was in the middle stage of her pregnancy (the second trimester) when she developed complications and needed hospital treatment.

    She had very high blood pressure and some bleeding from her vagina -worrying signs in anyone expecting a baby. Ten days before that she had had the classic coronavirus fever and cough that we are all being told to look out for. An X-ray revealed signs of infection in her lungs.

    Her blood pressure remained dangerously high - a condition that is called pre-eclampsia in pregnant women and can be fatal for the mother and the baby. The woman decided to opt for a termination of her pregnancy, which was at 22 weeks’ gestation, as her life was in danger.

    Her doctors then sent off the placenta for further examination and found evidence of the virus. Experts say the pre-print publication, which is available online, external (but has not yet been peer-reviewed) is interesting but it is too soon to know what impact, if any, coronavirus has on pregnancies.

    Prof Marian Knight, an expert in maternal health at the University of Oxford in the UK, advises: “The most important message for women must be that they should continue to attend for their antenatal check-ups while being vigilant about social distancing, particularly in the third trimester of pregnancy".

  19. 'Too beautiful to be destroyed by cars'published at 21:09 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    Guy De Launey, BBC Balkans Correspondent

    The mayor of Kosovo's capital, Pristina, says he wants the city's drastic reduction in traffic to become permanent.

    The number of cars has fallen dramatically because of emergency restrictions to tackle Covid-19.

    Shpend Ahmeti described Pristina as "too beautiful to be destroyed by cars”. He said the city authorities would implement measures including road pricing, more expensive parking and both permanent and temporary road closures.

    Dummies dressed in paper sheets bearing a message that reads "Stay at Home" are displayed in a closed boutique at the deserted square of Pristina on May 4, 2020, as the country is under lockdown to stop the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.Image source, AFP
  20. Flouting your own rulespublished at 21:03 British Summer Time 5 May 2020

    As mentioned, Professor Neil Ferguson has quit his role advising the government on coronavirus after admitting "undermining" the messages on social distancing rules.

    Prof Ferguson leads the team at Imperial College London, external and their research claimed more than 500,000 Britons would die because of Covid-19 if no measures were taken, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson then introducing a lockdown in Britain on 23 March.

    Prof Ferguson's departure comes after the Daily Telegraph reported he had allowed a woman to visit him.

    He is not the first medical expert to have left their position after breaching the rules they were asking other Britons to observe. On 6 April, Scotland's chief medical officer, Dr Catherine Calderwood, resigned after making two trips to her second home during the lockdown.

    Media caption,

    Watch an interview with Prof Ferguson from 5 April when he spoke on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One