Summary

  • France to withdraw troops from CAR

  • Anymous hacks Angolan government sites

  • Would-be bomber 'not' Chibok girl

  • Kenya MPs 'back breastfeeding centres at work'

  • 'Hijacker' of EgyptAir plane in court

  • Abducted Nigerian officer 'found dead'

  • Guinea opposition calls for strike over living costs

  • Get Involved: #BBCAfricaLive

  • Email stories and comments to africalive@bbc.co.uk - Wednesday 30 March 2016

  1. Militants 'kill' Malian troopspublished at 12:51 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    BBC Monitoring

    Ansar Dine fightersImage source, AFP
    Image caption,

    Ansar Dine is made up mostly of Malian Islamists

    Jihadist group Ansar Dine says it was behind a roadside bombing which killed four Malian soldiers on 28 March in the north of the West African state.

    There has been no independent confirmation of its statement. 

    Ansar al-Dine was among al-Qaeda-linked groups which seized most of northern Mali in 2012, before being driven out by French-backed forces.

  2. Tanzania to reduce top officials' salariespublished at 12:32 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    MagufuliImage source, AFP
    Image caption,

    The president likened top-earning officials to "angels residing in heaven"

    Tanzanian President John Magufuli has promised to slash the salaries of senior civil servants, cutting the top wage threshold by almost two-thirds.

    He told supporters that it was shameful that some top officials were earning $18,000 (£13,000) a month, while others were paid as little as $140.

    Officials not ready to accept the new $7,000 monthly wage limit should "start looking for alternative jobs", he said.

    Read the full BBC story here

  3. Would-be bomber 'not' Chibok girlpublished at 12:27 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Martin Patience
    BBC News, Nigeria correspondent

    Footage of girlsImage source, AP
    Image caption,

    Boko Haram released an image in 2014 of some of the 270 schoolgirls abducted from Chibok in Nigeria

    A senior Nigerian official has told the BBC that a would-be suicide bomber arrested in Cameroon is not one of the missing Chibok schoolgirls.  

    The girl told investigators she was one of 276 students kidnapped by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram two years ago. 

    The senior official categorically ruled out the possibility, but gave no further details on her identity. 

    She was one of two would-be bombers detained in northern Cameroon last week with explosives strapped to their bodies. 

    Officials in Cameroon say she was drugged and badly injured. 

    Increasingly, Boko Haram is using girls to carry out suicide bombings. 

    And with no information on the Chibok schoolgirls in two years, rumours swirl that they were perhaps being used for such attacks.  

    Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari recently ordered a new investigation into their kidnapping. But he admitted he had no information on the girls’ whereabouts.   

    Read: How I almost became a suicide bomber

  4. South Africa lion kill decision reversedpublished at 12:11 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    A lion in South AfricaImage source, AFP
    Image caption,

    South Africa has a large lion population

    The South African park authorities have gone back on a decision to kill a lion that has escaped from Karoo National Park.

    We reported earlier that the hashtag #SaveSylvester is trending in the country after the South Africa National parks said they had decided to kill the lion called Sylvester, once they find it.

    The authorities has just released a statement saying that the previous announcement was made prematurely and that they now are considering five options:

    • Bringing the lion back to the park and looking at improving on fencing and other preventative measures 

    • Translocate the lion to another national park 

    • Donate the lion to another state-owned conservation entity 

    • Donate the lion to a private conservation entity 

    • Euthanise the lion if the damage caused is massive and may include danger to people and/or loss of human life, and massive loss of assets. Specifically, the loss of human life poses an even greater danger as the animal may lose fear for humans and see them as easy prey.

    One of the options still includes killing the lion.

    See our 10:51post for more details

  5. Bid to block release of Hani murdererpublished at 12:02 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Chris HaniImage source, AFP
    Image caption,

    Mr Hani was the most popular leader after Nelson Mandela

    South Africa's government will appeal against a court's decision to free on parole white supremacist Janusz Walus, who killed anti-apartheid hero Chris Hani in 1993, Justice Minister Michael Masutha has said. 

    Judge Janse van Nieuwenhuizen caused an ourcry earlier this month when she ordered the release, and Mr Hani's widow Limpho described the decision as racist.

    Walus has served more than 22 years of a life sentence for shooting Mr Hani outside his home in Boksburg, east of Johannesburg, in April 1993.

    Walus' lawyer says he should be released on parole in the interest of reconciliation.

    The killing threatened to derail South Africa's transition from minority rule to majority rule.

  6. 'Frisky frisking' in Ugandapublished at 11:39 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Uganda police searching football fansImage source, Bukeede newspaper

    Photos of Ugandan police conducting a body search on football fans entering a stadium have gone viral on social media. 

    Some of the police appear to be grabbing fans’ private parts.

    Uganda police searching football fansImage source, Bukeede newspaper

    An article, external published in Kenya's Nairobi News called for the country's police to emulate their Ugandan counterparts. 

    It says while Uganda's match with Burkina Faso went without any incident, Kenya's game against Guinea in Nairobi was marred by fans throwing missiles onto the pitch.  

  7. Razorblade 'operation' in Cameroonpublished at 11:31 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    People were distraught as they looked on as the impromptu operation was performedImage source, Phone footage
    Image caption,

    People were distraught as they looked on as the impromptu operation was performed

    Mobile phone footage of a woman without medical training cutting open the belly of a dead woman in a desperate attempt to save her unborn twins has provoked an outcry in Cameroon.

    The impromptu surgery was done in the open air by a family member with razorblades outside the maternity ward of Douala's Laquintini Hospital, because medical staff refused to help.

    One of the babies was dead, but witnesses said the second baby was still alive when it was removed, though it died shortly afterwards.

    As the hospital staff refused to help, this has not been corroborated by medical officials.  

    Read the full BBC story here

  8. French troops to 'withdraw' from CARpublished at 11:14 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    This file photo taken on November 26, 2015 shows a French military vehicle from Operation Sangaris driving up the road leading to Mpoko Airport in Bangui on November 26, 2015Image source, AFP
    Image caption,

    France sent troops to CAR to end religious and ethnic conflct

    France will end its military intervention in Central African Republic this year as it has achieved its objectives of restoring security to the country after three years of conflict, the French defence minister has said, AFP news agency reports. 

    "I can confirm to you the end of Operation Sangaris during the course of 2016," Jean-Yves Le Drian said in the capital Bangui.

    He added that French troops have succeeded in restoring calm even if "everything is not resolved." 

    France launched Operation Sangaris in December 2013, when thousands were dying in conflict after rebels overthrew the government of Francois Bozize.

    Former Prime Minister Faustin-Archange Touadera is due to be inaugurated as president today following his victory in the first election held since the conflict broke out.  

  9. #Savesylvester trending in South Africapublished at 10:51 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    The hashtag #Savesylvester has been trending on Twitter in South Africa in reaction to the news that game rangers intend to put down a lion which escaped from the Karoo National Park near the small town of Beaufort West in Western Cape province.

    Yesterday the South Africa National Parks authority tweeted the decision:

  10. Plane 'hijacker' gives victory signpublished at 10:33 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Yolande Knell
    Larnaca

    Handcuffed Seif al-Din Mohamed Mostafa, an Egyptian man who hijacked an EgyptAir passenger plane the previous day and forced it to divert to Cyprus demanding to see his ex-wife, flashes the "V" for victory sign as he leaves the court in Larnaca in a police car on March 30, 2016Image source, AFP

    The 58-year-old Egyptian man accused of hijacking a plane yesterday gave a victory sign to journalists as he left a court in Cyprus in a police car. 

    Seif a-Din Mustafa's court appearance in Larnaca was brief with local police granted more time to hold him as they investigate the hijacking of an EgyptAir domestic flight. 

    He wasn't asked to speak, and looked tired and drawn.   

    Police said he faced possible charges of air piracy, kidnapping and reckless and threatening behaviour. 

    His motivations for forcing flight MS181 to divert to Larnaca are said to be personal, involving his Cypriot ex-wife. 

  11. Kenya lion 'killed'published at 10:00 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    A lion which escaped from a game park in Kenya has been shot dead by wildlife officials in Isinya town, 58km (36 miles) south of the capital, Nairobi, the news editor of the Kenya's Capital FM radio station has tweeted: 

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  12. Nigeria football team apologypublished at 09:57 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  13. Kidnapped Nigeria army officer killedpublished at 09:46 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    A senior Nigerian army officer abducted by gunmen in the northern city of Kaduna has been found dead, the army says. 

    The body of Colonel Samaila Inusa, who was kidnapped on Sunday, was found dumped on the outskirts of the city, army spokesman Sani Usman says in a statement.

    Col Yunusa was whisked away from his car by unknown gunmen who let his wife go.

    Colonel Samaila InusaImage source, Nigerian army

    "Preliminary investigations reveal that, most likely, the late senior officer was killed [on the] same day he was kidnapped by his abductors," Mr Usman added. 

    The army had offered a 1m naira ($5,000, £3,500) reward for information leading to the rescue of the officer. 

  14. 'Hijacker' in courtpublished at 09:21 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    The man accused of hijacking an EgyptAir plane and forcing it to land in Cyprus has been remanded in police custody for eight days during his first court appearance, AFP news agency reports.

    Police told the court in Larnaca that 58-year-old Egyptian Seif al-Din Mohamed Mostafa faces possible charges of hijacking, kidnapping people with the aim of taking them to an unknown destination, reckless and threatening behaviour and offences that breach the anti-terror law, it reports. 

    The accused did not speak in court.

  15. CAR president to be inauguratedpublished at 09:17 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    This file photo taken on December 28, 2015 shows Central African Republic (CAR)presidential candiaite Faustin-Archange Touadera waving to supporters in BanguiImage source, AFP
    Image caption,

    Mr Touadera has promised to restore stability

    Former  Central African Republic Prime Minister Faustin-Archange Touadera is set to be inaugurated today as president following his victory in the 14 February presidential run-off election aimed at bringing stability in a country hit by conflict since 2013. 

    Several dignitaries, including Chadian President Idriss Deby and French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault, are expected to attend the ceremony in the capital, Bangui.

    Mr Touadera has promised to focus on restoring stability in a country divided along religious and ethnic lines.

    It is estimated that about a fifth of the population fled their homes after conflict broke out in 2013, when mainly Muslim rebels took power in CAR, which has a majority Christian population. 

    The rebels later handed power to a transitional government, which steered the country towards elections.

  16. Nigeria fail to qualify for Nations Cup againpublished at 09:03 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Nigeria and Egypt play in a Cup of Nations qualifierImage source, Getty Images

    Nigeria have failed to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations tournament for the second time in a row after falling to a 1-0 defeat in Egypt in their Group G match last night.

    With just one game remaining and only the group winners to qualify, Nigeria cannot make up their five-point deficit to table-toppers Egypt.

    Ramadan Sobhy's 65th-minute winner puts Egypt on the verge of qualification.

    Egypt face Tanzania in June and will book their place in Gabon with any result better than a 3-0 defeat.

    Nigeria won the Nations Cup in 2013 but have now suffered back-to-back eliminations in qualifying.

    Read more on the story here

  17. Guinea strike over rising cost of livingpublished at 09:02 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    A man sells gas on the 'black market' in front of a petrol station in central Conakry, 21 January 2007Image source, AFP
    Image caption,

    The government has ruled out a cut in the fuel price

    Guinea's opposition has called a general strike for today and tomorrow to protest against the high cost of living, including the government's refusal to cut the price of fuel. 

    Opposition leaders have urged Guineans to remain at home and not to engage in any acts of vandalism.

    The BBC's Alhassan Sillah reports from the capital, Conakry, that there is little traffic in some opposition areas, but it is still too early to gauge the impact of the strike. 

    The government says it cannot meet the opposition's demand to reduce the price of fuel because the economy was devastated by the Ebola outbreak. 

    More than 11,000 people were killed by Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone after it was first reported in Guinea in 2014. 

  18. Egypt plane hijacker due in courtpublished at 09:00 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    BBC World Service

    Seif al-Din Mohamed Mostafa, an Egytpian man who hijacked an EgyptAir passenger plane the previous day and forced it to divert to Cyprus demanding to see his ex-wife, is surrounded by policeman as he arrives at the court in Larnaca on March 30, 2016.Image source, AFP
    Image caption,

    Seif a-Din Mustafa wore a fake explosive belt

    A man from Egypt is expected to appear in court in Cyprus today, charged with offences that relate to yesterday's hijacking of a plane which landed on the island. 

    Seif a-Din Mustafa managed to board the EgyptAir plane in Alexandria with a fake explosives belt.

    It was on its way to Cairo when he allegedly forced it to divert to Larnaca in Cyprus.

    Everyone on board was eventually released unharmed. It's thought the hijacking was motivated by a row between Mr Mustafa and his ex-wife who lives in Cyprus.

  19. Today's wise wordspublished at 09:00 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

     Our proverb of the day: 

    Quote Message

    One scabbed sheep infects the whole flock. "

    A Somali proverb sent by Bashiir Mohamed Abdi, Somalia.

    Click here to send us your African proverbs.

  20. Good morningpublished at 09:00 British Summer Time 30 March 2016

    Welcome to the BBC Africa Live page where we will bring you up-to-date news from around the continent.