Port Talbot explosion: Tata restarts two furnaces
- Published

The explosion occured when a train carrying molten metal derailed
Two blast furnaces at Tata's biggest UK steelworks have been restarted after a large explosion left two workers with burns.
A train carrying molten metal derailed at the Port Talbot plant shortly after 03:30 BST on Friday. An investigation is under way.
Tata Steel said its fourth and fifth furnaces had been successfully restarted.
Hub manager Martin Brunnock praised staff for their professionalism.
Allow X content?
This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

Images and footage posted on social media showed a large mushroom cloud and plumes of smoke rising above the plant.
Two workers were aboard the train - carrying a "torpedo" which holds the molten metal - when it derailed, leading to the metal coming into contact with cold water.
Tata said one worker had a burn to the head and the other to the chest, and were later released after treatment for minor burns.
Tata Steel said the explosion came from a train used to carry molten metal
The site had reopened by 07:00 Friday but production at furnaces four and five were halted in order for checks to be completed.
Tata said supply to customers had been uninterrupted.
- Published10 April 2019
- Published29 January 2019
- Published27 March 2012
- Published8 November 2011