Kabul Shia mosque attacked, leaving 20 dead
- Published
Security forces deploy to the site of the attack
More than 20 people have been killed and 40 injured in an attack on a Shia mosque in the Afghan capital, Kabul, officials say.
A suicide bomber detonated explosives at the mosque's gate before two gunmen entered as worshippers gathered for afternoon prayers.
Afghan special forces fought a four-hour gun battle with the attackers and say the gunmen are now dead.
So-called Islamic State (IS) said it was behind the attack.
The group's news outlet, Amaq, said militants had carried out a "commando" attack on the mosque.
Children and police officers are among the victims of Friday's attack, interior ministry officials say.
Last month, dozens of people were killed when a car bomb struck a bus carrying government employees in the capital. The Taliban said they were behind that attack.

Afghan policemen try to rescue a child at the site of the attack
- Published3 June 2017