No transition seasons at City - Gonzalez

- Published
Manchester City new-boy Nico Gonzalez does not believe there are transition seasons at the Etihad Stadium.
Gonzalez was part of a £180m winter spending spree as City looked to stabilise their season after a horrible run of one win in 13 games.
After a partial revival, Pep Guardiola's side are struggling again, with Saturday's 2-2 home draw with Brighton meaning they have now secured just four victories in their last 10 games, two of which have come against lower league opposition in the FA Cup.
While City remain fifth, which is almost certain to be enough to clinch a place in next season's Champions League, sixth-placed Newcastle have a game in hand and Bournemouth, in 10th, are only four points adrift.
After an unprecedented four successive titles and an historic Treble in 2022-23, it is being viewed by some as a campaign of transition for the Blues.
Gonzalez, a £50m arrival from Porto, does not see it like that.
"I don't think it's a transition at City," he said. "In every year, in every game, you have to win, you have to give everything.
"We have talked a lot about this. There are nine finals. I am pretty sure if we play like this (against Brighton) good results will come."
City had been monitoring the former Spain under-21 midfielder but accelerated their interest when results nosedived as Guardiola found it impossible to plug the game left by Rodri's long-term knee injury.
Gonzalez has already made eight appearances, having quickly established himself as a first-choice in City's new-look midfield.
"I'm so happy to be here," he said. "I feel great to play in maybe the best team in the world over the last 10 years in the world. I'm very proud."