Paqueta criticises FA after red card against Liverpool

 Lucas Paqueta of West Ham United reacts after being shown a second yellow and subsequent red cardImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Lucas Paqueta joined West Ham from Lyon in 2022

  • Published

West Ham midfielder Lucas Paqueta says his "ridiculous behaviour" that resulted in a red card in the 2-0 defeat by Liverpool was a "reflection of everything I've had to endure".

A near-two-year Football Association investigation into the Brazil midfielder ended in July when he was cleared of spot-fixing charges by an independent regulatory commission.

On Sunday, Paqueta was shown two yellow cards in quick succession for dissent by referee Darren England for arguing over a decision to award a foul against his team with six minutes left to play.

After the match, Paqueta commented on X in response to a post quoting commentary from former Hammers goalkeeper and Sky Sports summariser Rob Green, which branded the red card "ridiculous behaviour".

"It's ridiculous to have your life and career affected for two years without any psychological support from the federation," Paqueta said, while also apologising to his team-mates and the club's supporters.

"Perhaps this ridiculous behaviour is just a reflection of everything I've had to endure and, it seems, have to continue enduring!

"I'm sorry if I'm not perfect."

The 28-year-old was only returning from a one-match suspension on Sunday after accumulating five yellow cards in the league - having sat out the 2-2 draw against Bournemouth last weekend.

"I understand that now I have to come across as the villain, it's hard to live with everything that was caused in my life and in my psyche," he wrote in Portuguese.

"I'll keep trying to ensure they don't affect me even more. This doesn't justify my expulsion and that's why I apologise to the fans and my team-mates."

The FA had started its investigation in August 2023 and the 27-year-old was charged in May last year for allegedly getting booked deliberately "for the improper purpose of affecting the betting market".

Paqueta had faced the prospect of a lifetime ban if found guilty.

The regulatory commission found the four charges against Paqueta to be "not proven" following a hearing but he was reprimanded and warned about his future conduct for his failure to comply with the investigation into the allegations.

Speaking after the game, West Ham manager Nuno Espirito Santo said: "I'm not going to comment too much.

"First of all I'm going to speak to Lucas and try to understand his frustrations and his behaviour."

Paqueta joined the Hammers from Lyon in August 2022 and helped the club win the Europa Conference League during his debut season.

He was reportedly set for an £85m move to Manchester City in August 2023 before the FA investigation came to light.