No change to backing despite Rangers cup exit - Clement

Rangers manager Philippe ClementImage source, SNS
Image caption,

Fans have called for Philippe Clement's resignation after Rangers' Scottish Cup exit

  • Published

Philippe Clement says he has had no indication he does not have the full backing of Rangers' board following their shock Scottish Cup defeat by Queen's Park.

Pressure increased on the Belgian manager and the Ibrox hierarchy after the 1-0 fifth-round home loss to the second-tier side.

Rangers are now likely to end the season without a domestic trophy as they also sit 13 points behind reigning champions Celtic in the Scottish Premiership.

Clement met with Rangers chief executive Patrick Stewart after Sunday's game, but the team manager stressed this was normal practice.

"I spoke with Patrick, like after after every game," he said. "So nothing special in comparison with other weeks.

Media caption,

'It's not a happy place' - Rangers midfielder Ianis Hagi

"Not one manager in the world has guarantees - maybe Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, which he deserves after all the things he did in a long spell there.

"That's part of football, but we spoke about the game and that the result didn't reflect the game."

Clement admitted he was wounded by the fan abuse he received when leaving Ibrox on Sunday, which made its way on to social media.

"It hurts of course," he added. "The things I like about this job is doing things with people together.

"We have already some amazing moments of synergy with the fans. Amazing moments at Ibrox.

"This was clearly a bad moment and, of course, I saw the video also. I didn't know people were making a video."

Clement referenced Stuart Kettlewell, who resigned as Motherwell manager last month citing fan abuse that was affecting his family.

"I understand the frustrations of people," Clement said. "It's difficult for me to say where the line is because it's something personal. Two weeks ago, for one manager the line was crossed and he stopped.

"It's clear for me that I am here, that I want to fight for this club and to continue to develop this team and not to have results like that again.

"It doesn't mean that the moment doesn't hurt."

When asked about fans' disappointment that he was still manager, he added: "It's about getting the results. I have had a lot of great moments with these fans and I know they are not happy with this season and about going out the cup.

"I am going to do everything in my ability to make things better for the team and around the team.

"But there is also a lot of work to do. I am here to give my best and get the team ready for the game against Hearts. That is my focus."