Alcaraz joins on loan from Flamengopublished at 00:31 4 February
00:31 4 February
Everton have signed Carlos Alcaraz on loan from Flamengo, with an option to buy at the end of the season.
The 22 year-old attacking midfielder previously played for Southampton in the Premier League, as well having Serie A experience with Juventus.
"I am very happy to join Everton, such a great club, with a very good fanbase." Alcaraz told Evertontv, external.
"I am ready for any challenge with this beautiful club so that's why I came and accepted the offer to keep fighting for my dreams."
Boss David Moyes was thrilled to finally secure Alcaraz's signature.
"We're happy Carlos has agreed to join us on loan until the end of the season," he said.
"We've been looking to add players to the squad to give us more depth, particularly after the recent injuries we've picked up.
"Carlos has Premier League experience, he's still young and we believe he can bring some energy to the team which will help us between now and the end of the season."
Deal sheet in for Alcarazpublished at 23:30 3 February
23:30 3 February
Shamoon Hafez BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
We have waited all day - and now we are going to have to wait a little longer.
Everton appear to still be working on a deal to complete the loan signing of Carlos Alcaraz from Flamengo.
It means a deal sheet has been submitted to the Premier League to give them more time to get it done.
Where is Alcaraz?published at 21:33 3 February
21:33 3 February
Shamoon Hafez BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Flamengo announced on Friday that they had "reached an agreement" to send midfielder Carlos Alcaraz to Everton.
The Brazilian giants had said the loan includes a "mandatory purchase clause", subject to the parties meeting certain unspecified conditions.
Sources close to the Argentine told me that the 22-year-old had undergone a medical on Merseyside at the weekend - but the transfer window is about to close and we are still waiting for the deal to be officially announced.
Armstrong signs new long-term deal and joins Derby on loanpublished at 21:25 3 February
21:25 3 February
Everton midfielder Harrison Armstrong has signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract and will join Derby County on loan for the rest of the season.
The 18-year-old academy graduate has made six appearances so far this season in a breakthrough campaign Goodison Park.
His new contract runs until the end of June 2028, with the option for a further year.
On committing his future to Everton, Armstrong said: "I'm really excited to sign this deal with a club that means everything to me.
"It shows the belief that Everton have in me and I just want to keep progressing. Getting the chance to play for the first team this season has been great and I just want to push on and reach more.
"I now have an opportunity to learn at a really good club like Derby, hopefully do well for them and I'm looking forward to it."
Everton youngster Armstrong set for Derby movepublished at 17:44 3 February
17:44 3 February
Shamoon Hafez BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Everton teenager Harrison Armstrong is set to head out on loan to Championship strugglers Derby County.
The 18-year-old has broken into the Toffees first team this season, making six appearances, including an impressive showing in the FA Cup third round victory over Peterborough.
Everton sources feel a loan move for Armstrong will provide some valuable first-team experience for the England youth international.
Alcaraz 'could be an astute signing' published at 15:50 3 February
15:50 3 February
Image source, Getty Images
Southampton fan and podcaster Tom Parker says Carlos Alcaraz is "a talented footballer" and backed the Argentine midfielder to get a few goals for Everton if a deal is completed on deadline day.
Two years ago, it was Southampton who signed Alcaraz and he made an instant impact at St Mary's Stadium, scoring four goals in the 18 Premier League games he played that season.
"He was the only bright light of that season - he scored goals, looked creative and full of energy," said Parker. "A young player that can do interesting and exciting things operating in between midfield and attack."
However, despite that fine start, he only scored twice in the Championship for Southampton and spent the second half of the 2023-24 season on loan at Juventus.
"The challenge with him is he's inconsistent - someone like Moyes with all that experience will be looking to get the best of him," said Parker. "He's only young but he's on his fourth or fifth club now and a bit of stability and consistency could do him good.
"It's no risk - he can come and do a really good job. He's coming in to a positive time at the club with a good manager and an exciting crop of players.
"It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with half a dozen goals at the end of the season - he's a talented footballer.
"Everton could be getting a very astute signing, or they could be getting someone who's a bit of a footnote."
Just the one signing expected at Everton?published at 15:14 3 February
15:14 3 February
Shamoon Hafez BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Not anticipating any issues with Everton's loan signing of Carlos Alcaraz from Flamengo, but the Argentine may well be the only arrival of the transfer window.
Club sources have indicated that there are no strikers available at the right price in the current market that can come in and improve the team immediately.
The Friedkin Group have come in as the new owners and the Profit and Sustainability situation has improved, but money is going to be spent wisely rather than for the sake of doing so.
Beto scored twice in the 4-0 thrashing of Leicester on Saturday but there seems to be positive news on the injury front, with the on-loan Armando Broja expected to be back in action in four to five weeks from an ankle injury, rather than the 12 weeks that was initially expected.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin should be back from a hamstring issue before the end of the season, while Youssef Chermiti could also be back from a thigh injury in the next three to four weeks.
Dominos waiting to drop?published at 12:00 3 February
12:00 3 February
Shamoon Hafez BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
We are still waiting for Everton to complete the signing of midfielder Carlos Alcaraz on loan from Flamengo, with an agreement being reached between the clubs on Friday.
Sources close to the player had told he was scheduled to fly in and have a medical on Merseyside on Sunday, but we have not have official confirmation of the deal going through.
It remains to be seen what business the Toffees do after that. Manager David Moyes has made no secret about wanting to bring players in, especially a striker.
But who is available out there who can come in and do a job immediately for Everton?
It feels like we are waiting for one domino to drop somewhere, which could trigger moves in the rest of the chain.
Time is ticking, though.
Can Moyes make late headway?published at 09:54 3 February
09:54 3 February
Phil McNulty Chief football writer
Image source, Getty Images
Everton manager David Moyes will be seeking attacking reinforcements as the deadline approaches, despite a stunning return to the club with three wins in his first four games.
Beto scored twice in the 4-0 win over Leicester City, but Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Armando Broja, on loan from Chelsea, are long-term absentees.
The problem Moyes faces is a shortage of realistic candidates and a shortage of big money to acquire them.
Might be a day spent on, or by, the telephone for the manager and director of football Kevin Thelwell.
What do you want on deadline day?published at 07:32 3 February
07:32 3 February
We asked you what would ensure you are satisfied this deadline day.
Here are some of your comments:
Tommo: We don't want panic buys that are not good players, but would take a couple of quality loans and then rebuild in the summer.
Symon: A striker is a must! I presume Armando Broja and Orel Mangala are going back to their home clubs, so let's get some hungry young players that we can utilise and who can add to the goal tally! Iliman Ndiaye cannot keep us up single handedly.
David: With the current injury situation, and even with three wins in a row, we must bring in a goalscorer to support Beto, who is our only striker at the moment. Apart from that, we have enough cover in the rest of the squad to take us through to the new season where David Moyes can reset and our expectations can be higher than just survival.
Craige: It has got to be a centre-forward, a versatile winger that can play full-back and as a winger, and then a midfield playmaker. A major rebuild can happen in the summer as the players under 24 years old so have resale value.
Steven: We need a striker that will score on a regular basis and a creative midfielder. We need to kick on after a great few weeks.
Joe: We should sign Marcus Edwards and Felix Nmecha.
Who will move where? Follow livepublished at 07:05 3 February
07:05 3 February
It's the last day of the winter transfer window and Premier League clubs have until 23:00 GMT to complete their business.
We'll bring you all the news, views, twists and turns as the clock ticks down to deadline.
Moyes 'getting a tune out of the team'published at 16:31 2 February
16:31 2 February
Sarah Mulkerrins Final Score reporter
Image source, Getty Images
In its goodbye season, atmospheric Goodison Park had its faithful singing from their seats. The support rolled around the stands with David Moyes paying credit to the fans.
While Everton lost key attacking players this week - all the more noteworthy as a season where they have been criticised for a lack of goals - to have two within six minutes and four by the end had fans in dreamland.
Beto told me afterwards the win was for those injured players. For him though, it will feel so important that he took his moments to show Moyes what he can do.
Moyes admitted to me afterwards he is still getting to know him and that Beto has probably found things difficult. However, Moyes is getting a tune out of the team and a fresh pair of eyes on this squad has opened up new opportunities for certain players.
There is more emphasis on attack and Saturday showed an ease to their play.
Everton fans will be hoping this carries on.
What's the minimum requirement on deadline day?published at 12:21 2 February
12:21 2 February
Let's be realistic.
Instead of setting sights high only for dreams to get dashed, we want to know what the minimum requirement is for Everton on deadline day.
Be as specific as possible and tell us what will ensure you are satisfied come 23:00 GMT on Monday.
'Since Moyes has been here, we have been going stride for stride'published at 12:05 2 February
12:05 2 February
Image source, Getty Images
Everton midfielder James Garner says it was a "good feeling" to be back on the pitch for the Toffees in their 4-0 win over Leicester City, after recovering from a long-term back injury.
Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Garner said: "I have had the same injury twice now, which has kept me out for nearly a season, so it has been a tough period. Over the past four months, it has been especially tough so I'm made up to be back fit and healthy now.
"David Moyes' first session was my first session back, so it was kind of like a fresh start and a fresh slate. He is someone I feel I can show what I can do to and hopefully he can put his trust in me.
"You can tell that since he has been here, we have been going stride for stride. It has been really positive."
The Toffees are on a run of three consecutive Premier League wins under Moyes, but Garner admitted he is "not quite sure" what has changed on the pitch.
"I know we are definitely playing a little bit different now," he added. "We are having a lot more of the ball and creating different opportunities.
"Against Leicester, the four goals were all different types of goals. We have been known for being really good at set-pieces recently, but I think this result has shown we are a lot more than that."
Everton 4-0 Leicester - the fans' verdictpublished at 10:49 2 February
10:49 2 February
Image source, Getty Images
We asked for your thoughts after Saturday's Premier League game between Everton and Leicester City.
Here are some of your comments:
Everton fans
Robbie: What a start to the game - the quickest any home team has ever delivered in the Premier League. Garner's return made such a difference and Beto looked like a Premier League player for the first time. Let's build on this and win the last derby at Goodison Park.
Peter: Who would have thought that passing the ball forward on the ground- instead of sideways and backwards, then lumping it forward - would create chances? Hardly rocket science, is it?
Bill: There was something in my drink because I have just enjoyed watching the mighty Blues win - and win by four goals!
Jeff: DominicCalvert-Lewin's injury is the best thing that could have happened for Everton this season. Beto has grabbed his chance and we are so much better with him instead. We are pretty much safe now.
Keith: Three consecutive wins and eight goals scored. Here's to all those naysayers who rubbished this appointment. No other manager out there could have turned it around so emphatically. Moyes and Everton just works.
Leicester fans
John: Abysmal! The speed of play was simply too fast for all of the defence, who were left wanting throughout the match. The dreadful performance was compounded further by a lack of creativity in midfield. In short, I am embarrassed to be a Leicester City supporter at present.
Steve: Dreadful! How can we have higher possession and no goals? We need to stop playing Faes immediately, I've never got over him scoring two own goals in one game! That alone will at least give us a fairer chance of staying up.
Martyn: I really hope that is Vestergaard's last game. He clearly evidenced that he is way too slow. We need to play Okoli as he is quick and strong. Coady should start too, along with Mavididi instead of Ayew. Freshen up the defence please, just like Moyes has done at Everton.
Tony: It is sad to watch this Leicester team. Trouble is, they are not a team. They are just individuals kicking a ball around, who seem to have no faith and are resigned to playing Championship football next season.
Nathan: Sadly this is going to come down to whether Ipswich and Wolves can both somehow be worse than us. Another woeful showing, particularly defensively. It could be a long stint in the Championship ahead, if recruitment isn't right.
Catch up on the Premier League actionpublished at 09:18 2 February
09:18 2 February
Watch highlights and analysis from Saturday's six Premier League fixtures.
'The job is to make sure we are a Premier League team'published at 18:16 1 February
18:16 1 February
Image source, Getty Images
Everton boss David Moyes has been speaking to BBC Sport about the win: "Things are sweeter than we felt a couple weeks ago. Great credit to the players for another outstanding performance. It is good to see they are making good progress.
"When you get a goal so quickly, it is a great confidence boost and a great start. We backed it up with the second goal, which then allows us to play. We were a bit unlucky to not score a few more at that time. At times, our first-half performance was very good.
"I'm really pleased for Beto because I'm only just getting to know him. He has probably felt it has been difficult for him. We need someone to score goals - we are short on centre-forwards and losing Dom [Calvert-Lewin] was a big blow - so he came in and took his goals very well.
"We have played well in games, we have passed it well and made opportunities to score. I'm glad with the way we are playing. We are doing a lot of good things. There's a lot we can try to make better.
"The job is to make sure we are a Premier League team. The last three results will go a long way to making that happen.
"I found the noise incredible. I remember what it was always like. You have to give them something to shout about, and we did that from the start."
'It wasn't easy, but we made it easy'published at 18:01 1 February
18:01 1 February
Image source, Getty Images
Everton goalscorer Beto has been speaking to BBC Sport about helping his team to an important win at Goodison Park: "It couldn't have gone much better for me. Unfortunately for Dom [Calvert-Lewin], [Orel] Mangala, Dwight [McNeil], I want to say this victory is for them. We are happy to give them this joy.
"I was just running free and saw the space. My team-mates know me, I like to run behind. They know. I knew it was the best moment for me.
"It wasn't easy, but we made it easy. We knew we needed to win this game. They want to come here to beat us because we are fighting for the place [they want]. I'm really happy for the boys.
"We just need to keep working and keep improving. We have a lot to improve, I have a lot to improve. We need to keep going.
"We can handle the criticism. We will work for next week to beat Bournemouth."