Summary

  • Updates from Monday 18 June until Friday 22 June 2018

  1. Opposition parties critical of Exeter sports centre closurepublished at 11:39 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Daniel Clark
    Local Democracy Reporting Service

    Politicians in Exeter have criticised the decision to close the Clifton Hill Sports Centre.

    Despite a 1,500 strong petition, twice as many people who are actually members of the sports centre, the Labour-run Exeter City Council voted by 20 votes to seven, with four abstentions, to close the 34-year-old sports centre last week.

    The sports centre in Newtown was severely damaged by the snow in March and the council said that the cost of repairing the building was estimated to be in the region of £700,000 and would have taken up to a year to complete.

    The money made from the sale will be pumped into Wonford Sports Centre, Exeter Arena and ISCA Centre and Riverside Leisure Centre - a further £3m would be spent enhancing those facilities.

    Clifton Hill sports centre

    Councillor Chris Musgrave, the sole Green Party councillor who sits on the council, said that his party would have undergone a full public consultation exercise and called the closure a "travesty".

    Councillor Kevin Mitchell, the lone Liberal Democrat on the council, said that his party would not have found themselves in this situation had they been in charge.

    Councillor Andrew Leadbetter, the leader of the Conservative opposition on the council, said that his party would have not have faced a financial black hole in fixing the centre as they would have had the money to do so. He said: "We would have maintained it and had the money to spend on repairs if needed as we wouldn't have wasted £5m on St Sidwell's Point, it is as simple as that.

    "We will continue to fight this and we would not be cutting services but would be increasing them."

    Leader of the council, Councillor Pete Edwards, said: "The building is the main thing and that building is falling down with the roof gone - the only thing to do is tear it down. We have a new sports centre at St Sidwell's point coming soon."

  2. Mum's campaign for justice after baby killed by his dadpublished at 10:47 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Devon Live

    The mum of the baby shaken to death by his father, external has launched a campaign for the justice she says she was denied when he was jailed for just over five years.

  3. Weather: Sunny with some cloudpublished at 10:39 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    BBC Weather

    After a chilly start, it will be a fine day, with prolonged periods of sunshine and only a small possibility of some patchy cloud developing during the afternoon. Winds will be light or moderate northeasterly.

    Maximum temperature: 16 to 18°C.

    Weather
  4. Huge storm drains to protect rail line from floodingpublished at 09:42 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    John Ayres
    BBC Spotlight

    Cowley Bridge work

    Network Rail is unveiling some of the major work it's carrying out to protect the main rail line from London to the South West.

    Massive storm drains, large enough to drive a car through, are being installed at Cowley Bridge near Exeter to prevent a repeat of the disruption caused by flooding.

    Cowley Bridge
    Image caption,

    Dams were used on the lines at Cowley Bridge, near Exeter, in 2012

    Quote Message

    Since Victorian times we have had a flooding problem here. Our programme of funding - £50m to improve flood resilience in the South West - includes this project. We've put in a brand new storm drain that can take the equivalent of 5,000m of water per second. We are also enlarging an existing storm drain."

    Victoria Bradley, Network Rail

    Cowley Bridge
    Image caption,

    A torrent of water covered the tracks causing days of disruption at Cowley Bridge, near Exeter, in 2012

  5. Man arrested in Plymouth rape investigationpublished at 09:31 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    A man has been arrested in connection with an alleged rape in Plymouth last month.

    Police say it happened when a 19-year-old man was subjected to an attack down an alleyway off Armada Street at about 02.15 on 24 May.

    A 30-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of rape and released under investigation pending further inquiries.

  6. Search is on for 'Lucky Star' the entangled sealpublished at 09:04 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Conservationists are trying to find a grey seal which has got a large piece of fishing net tangled around his neck.

    'Lucky Star' was first spotted four weeks ago, and there was another sighting on Thursday.

    The juvenile male is moving along the north coast of Cornwall and could be sighted anywhere between Land's End and Padstow.

    Anyone who sees him is asked to contact British Divers Marine Life Rescue on 01825 765546.

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
    Quote Message

    We know from previous experience if we can get to Lucky Star and cut the net off he has got a really good survival chance."

    Sue Sayer, Cornwall Seal Research Group

  7. Resident criticises council and fire service after blazepublished at 09:02 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    BBC Radio Cornwall

    A resident who lost his home in a fire in Truro says there should have been better safety checks in the sheltered housing complex.

    Peter Mitchell has raised concerns over the bin store where it's thought the fire was deliberately started.

    Sixty firefighters and six engines spent three hours dealing with the fire in Merrifield Close in Truro, on 13 June.

    Cornwall Council says it is looking into how regularly the bin store was checked, and whether lessons can be learned.

    A police investigation is under way and a man was arrested and later released on suspicion of arson.

    Mr Mitchell also says he thinks the fire crews could have got there sooner. This was refuted by Cornwall Council who said "the fire service were their normal, professional selves" adding that their efforts "helped with the saving of lives".

    Fire crews
    Quote Message

    If they'd cleared out the bin cupboard properly in the first place this would never have happened. There wasn't enough inspections by the council.

    Quote Message

    I think the fire brigade was a bit late arriving. If they had come earlier I think they had a chance of saving it to be honest.

    Peter Mitchell

  8. Fox signs new Plymouth Argyle dealpublished at 08:47 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Plymouth Argyle midfielder David Fox agrees a new contract at the League One club.

    Read More
  9. Cooke leaves Truro for St Mirrenpublished at 08:35 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Brent Pilnick
    BBC Sport

    Cody Cooke has left Truro City for Scottish Premier Legaue side St Mirren.

    The 25-year-old - who was City's top scorer in National League South last season - has signed a two-year deal at the Paisley-based club, having been part of England striker Jamie Vardy's V9 Academy last month.

    Cody CookeImage source, St Mirren FC

    "I'm over the moon. It's a huge opportunity and football is all about opportunities - I want to grab this one with both hands," Cooke said.

    "I'm delighted to be here. To get a call from Alan (Stubbs, St Mirren manager) was something that I was just delighted about. I feel ready for the test and it should be an exciting one."

    Meanwhile Truro have signed midfielder Lloyd Gardner from Buckland Athletic.

  10. Driver appeal after car overturnspublished at 08:12 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Johnny O'Shea
    BBC News Online

    Police are still looking for a driver who fled the scene of a crash in Launceston on Thursday morning.

    A silver Mercedes C720 ended up on its roof after hitting a school crossing lamp-post on Roydon Road at about 06:50.

    A fire crew also attended and the male driver left the scene. Police say "inquiries are ongoing to locate the driver."

    Overturned carImage source, John Baggetts
  11. Man airlifted from Paignton beach with head injurypublished at 07:45 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Johnny O'Shea
    BBC News Online

    A man was airlifted to hospital after injuring his head on rocks at a beach in Paignton.

    Paramedics initially treated the man before he was transferred to an air ambulance which landed on the beach.

    The man's condition is unknown.

    This X post cannot be displayed in your browser. Please enable Javascript or try a different browser.View original content on X
    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    Skip X post

    Allow X content?

    This article contains content provided by X. We ask for your permission before anything is loaded, as they may be using cookies and other technologies. You may want to read X’s cookie policy, external and privacy policy, external before accepting. To view this content choose ‘accept and continue’.

    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
    End of X post
  12. Church deemed 'unsafe' handed over to local residentspublished at 07:36 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    BBC Spotlight

    A church in Cornwall which was partially dynamited because it was thought to be structurally unsafe, has been handed over to residents so its future can be preserved.

    St Day Church hasn't been used for worship for more than 60 years but now it has been recognised as of social and architectural importance and it's hoped it will be used as a community space for the arts.

    Bernadette Fallon is one of those who has campaigned to save it...

  13. Mayor's plan to sell Oldway Mansion defeated by councilpublished at 07:35 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Sophie Pierce
    BBC Radio Devon

    A plan by Torbay Mayor, Gordon Oliver, to sell off one of the Bay's most historic houses has been defeated by his fellow conservative councillors.

    They voted that he had acted outside of his mayoral powers in deciding to go ahead with market testing for selling Oldway Mansion in Paignton.

    More than 100 people packed a council meeting in Torbay on Thursday night.

    The authority will now go forward with a plan for the building put forward by its own working party. It recommends a phased redevelopment of the property including repairing the mansion and reopening the café to generate income.

    Oldway
    Quote Message

    I think it's a disaster for Oldway. There is no money to do anything more. It will continue to be talk and talk and talk and no action. The money isn't there for this kind of activity.

    Gordon Oliver, Mayor of Torbay

  14. Calls for A38 investment after recent fatal accidentspublished at 07:28 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    BBC Spotlight

    A cross-party report calling for investment into the A38 in Devon and Cornwall is due to be presented to the transport secretary later.

    The 'A38 Case for Action' outlines a need for urgent safety measures after a number of fatal accidents on the route and also makes an economic case for improvements between Bodmin and Exeter.

    South East Cornwall MP Sheryll Murray is planning to make the handover during a visit to Cornwall by the Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

    A38 route
  15. Properties closed after 'serious' anti-social behaviourpublished at 07:19 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    A three-month closure order has been obtained in court for four properties in Holsworthy, Devon, after "serious levels" of persistent anti-social behaviour, police say.

    There have been several violent and life-threatening incidents at the premises, including assaults, an arson with intent to endanger life and the latest incident being an attempted murder on the communal lawn.

    The occupants staying in them on North Road have been removed and re-housed with police saying their behaviour was "making life a misery for law-abiding residents".

    It added it's the first time an order like this has been used in the town and it's the biggest closure order ever applied for by Devon and Cornwall Police.

    North Road propertiesImage source, Shaun Kenneally
    Quote Message

    We welcome the closure order after experiencing daily issues with the premises which has caused occupants and local residents’ misery and grief which negatively impacts our community.

    Insp Shaun Kenneally, Devon and Cornwall Police

  16. Man impales hand on hook after jumping over wallpublished at 07:07 British Summer Time 22 June 2018

    Hayley Westcott
    BBC News Online

    A man impaled his hand on a slate hook after jumping over a wall in Padstow.

    Firefighters were called to Grenville Road at about 17:10 on Thursday.

    Crews removed the surrounding slates to free the hook before handing the casualty over to the ambulance service.

    man after jumping wallImage source, PADSTOW FIRE STATION
  17. Hung jury in PC assault claim casepublished at 19:25 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    A judge advises prosecutors not to seek a retrial after jurors fail to reach a verdict.

    Read More
  18. Homeless man admits raiding churchespublished at 18:16 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    Chris Quevatre
    BBC News Online

    A homeless Romanian man has admitted stealing cash and electronic goods from 11 churches.

    Mahaita Rosca, 26, from Shrewsbury, started his crime spree in Weymouth before moving to Devon, where he lived rough and survived by breaking into churches all around the county.

    St Michael's Church in ExeterImage source, Visit Exeter
    Image caption,

    St Michael's Church in Exeter was one of the buildings targeted by Rosca

    He targeted money but also stole projectors, DVD players, and computers from churches in Exeter, Crediton, Torrington, Tavistock, Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, Exmouth and Sidmouth.

    Rosca sold some of the stolen items but hid others, promising to help police to find them when he appeared at Exeter Crown Court.

    Judge Timothy Rose adjourned the case until 20 July to allow time for him to help police recover the missing church property - but added that a prison sentence was "certain".

  19. Officer attack accused 'suffering PTSD'published at 17:16 British Summer Time 21 June 2018

    A former soldier who "lifted a policeman by his nostrils" was suffering from PTSD, a court hears.

    Read More