Sutton's predictions: Man Utd v Crystal Palacepublished at 09:57 2 February
09:57 2 February
I was wrong when I said Manchester United would lose at Fulham last week, which a few people happily reminded me about on social media.
It was not exactly a convincing win, but maybe things will click for them here - I have my doubts though.
I have got a bit of sympathy for United striker Rasmus Hojlund, who is getting some criticism at the moment. He was signed as a development player, albeit an expensive one, but it has not happened for him.
There are two sides to his situation though. I feel sorry for him because he needs a run of games to find some rhythm, but he also needs to take his chances when they come, and do better at some of the basics, like holding the ball up.
He's not the only player at United in that situation, with something to prove.
Maybe they will become a free-scoring side again, but that probably won't happen here and it still feels like we are totally guessing about what they will do each week.
Crystal Palace lost at home to Brentford on Sunday, which was a bit of a surprise because they have been so solid recently.
The Eagles won at Old Trafford last season, but this game has got a draw written all over it.
Glasner on key injuries, transfer business and Esse 'calm'published at 16:29 31 January
16:29 31 January
Henry Brownsey BBC Sport journalist
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner has been speaking to the media before Sunday's Premier League game against Manchester United (kick-off 14:00 GMT).
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
Glasner spoke of two significant injury blows: "Unfortunately, we had several pieces of bad news at the beginning of the week - Cheick [Doucoure] needs surgery on his knee, and Chadi [Riad] has ruptured his ACL - we have lost both for the rest of the season – and Chadi even longer. We hope Cheick will return for pre-season next season – so it's two long-term injuries."
Eberechi Eze will also miss the weekend's game, with Glasner stating: "He's struggled the last weeks and months. He got a knock in the cup [against Arsenal] and since then he's always had pain, training and not training, playing and then taking him off - we want to get him pain free."
More positively, Glasner hopes Adam Wharton and Matheus Franca will be in the squad: "Adam and Franca trained the whole week without any issues, and we're thinking both will be in the squad. It will also lift their confidence and mood after being out for several weeks."
Wharton, who hasn't played since October, "looks stronger than before" and Glasner said: "We are all looking forward to him staying now and training with us. We still have up to 20 games until the end of the season and we know he's a great player in midfield."
On transfers: "We planned two signings - one was Romain Esse. We are still working on the second one. I'm pretty confident we will get this deal done." The club may look for a centre-back but they "don't need it immediately" and will only get one if something good comes up.
On Manchester United: "I can see them making progress. I know Ruben Amorim from his time at Sporting and played them with Frankfurt. I have a lot of respect and admiration for how he managed the first weeks at Man Utd - it wasn't easy but he went his way and now you can see how he wants to play."
Palace went six games unbeaten before losing to Brentford and speaking about responding to defeat, Glasner said: "The whole week we talked about it, training looked good - but the evidence has to be there on Sunday at 2pm. We learned great from the 5-1 defeat against Arsenal - we defended our box terribly and I mentioned it, since then we've done it much better."
On the club's supporters: "We know we can count on our fans, everywhere. I hope they can go to Manchester because I know the trains are striking. We want to give back the passion and belief, we can promise we will do everything to win."
Romain Esse scored on his debut and speaking about the 19-year-old he said: "Let's stay calm - he was in the right position with the right finish. He did well and he's doing well in training. I could see him quite often be exhausted and he has to get used to it. It's a good start but I don't expect to see him now score with his first touch."
Listen to live commentary of Manchester United v Crystal Palace on BBC Radio 5 Live
The Palace finances behind failed Newcastle bid for Guehipublished at 08:49 31 January
08:49 31 January
Image source, PA Media
Former Newcastle United scout and Crystal Palace adviser Paul Montgomery, speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle, external about the Magpies' pursuit of Palace and England centre-back Marc Guehi last summer:
"Michael Olise had to go [from Palace] because he had a clause in his contract. I wish Newcastle had taken him - he is a special player.
"Palace lost him and also Joachim Andersen, because of his age and the way the deal was to Fulham. The last thing they wanted to do was lose Guehi, who is a super professional.
"Speaking to the chairman [Steve Parish], he didn't want him to leave and he said the fee was £70m because he didn't want it done. Newcastle were in for him, Liverpool looked at the fee and said it was too much, but Newcastle came back.
"What I said to Steve was: 'You wanted £70m, but hang on to him as much as you can, because you'll still get £50m when he's got a year left [on his contract] at the end of the season. You'll lose £20m but you'll gain £130m because you'll stay in the league'."
Palace eye Djalo as centre-back solutionpublished at 16:55 30 January
16:55 30 January
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Crystal Palace are interested in signing centre back Tiago Djalo on loan to increase their options at centre-back.
Marc Guehi, Chris Richards and Maxence Lacroix are the Eagles' three fit senior central defenders after Chadi Riad suffered a suspected anterior cruciate ligament injury and Chelsea recalled loanee Trevoh Chalobah.
Djalo is currently on loan at Porto from Juventus and has made 11 appearances so far this season scoring two goals.
It is not yet clear how a move for the Portugal international would be completed with the Eagles requiring Juventus to recall the 24-year-old before he could join Palace.
The Eagles came into this window looking for an attacker and a left wing-back to bolster Oliver Glasner's squad and have signed Romain Esse from Millwall, who scored with his first touch against Brentford.
The added need for a centre-back only emerged this week after it became clear that Riad was going to be out for a long time with his knee problem.
Lack of progress? Or 'be grateful' for club's 'golden era'?published at 08:58 30 January
08:58 30 January
Image source, PA Media
We asked for you to tell us one thing that no one is talking about regarding Crystal Palace.
Here are some of your comments:
Josh: We never seem to make progress any season. It's always the same, we go into this season with high expectations for top-half football, but always end up in the same spots, 11th to 15th. We've seen other teams, such as Forest and Villa, come up and then after a few seasons are already competing in, or trying to compete in Champions League football. It just feels like we've passed that threshold of progress.
James: A little over 60 years ago Palace were promoted from Division Four (League Two). Current supporters need to be reminded that they are currently enjoying the golden era in the club's history, thanks to the careful management of the current owners. Be grateful!
Simon: As ever, we have a key player in Tyrick Mitchell whose contract is running out, yet we don't have a natural successor to him nor is there any hint of a contract being offered. Currently we are always one injury away from a disaster in most key positions. A big summer ahead.
Shaun: With the absences of Riad and Doucoure, Wharton still not fit and the departure of Chalobah, we are looking light in defence/midfield. I feel another losing streak coming on.
Paul: Kamada is the biggest paid player and usually rates as the worst performer in every game. Why does Glasner play him?
Chris: Why is the team unable to maintain possession? We are rarely able to string several passes together in the opposition half.
Stanis: Whether we need to switch from a 3-4-3/5-2-3 to a 4-4-2/4-3-3 in home matches against the mid/low placed teams to be more creative.
What's one thing no-one is talking about?published at 17:33 29 January
17:33 29 January
Crystal Palace slipped to defeat by Brentford at the weekend in a rather lacklustre performance at Selhurst Park, which perhaps highlighted the absence of Adam Wharton in midfield.
However, you know your club best, so we need you to tell us the one thing - good or bad - that nobody is talking about at Crystal Palace but really should be.
Palace enter 'firefighting mode'published at 12:37 28 January
12:37 28 January
Alex Pewter Fan writer
Image source, Getty Images
It has been a quiet January transfer window - Manchester City acquisitions aside - but Crystal Palace have been one of the busier Premier League sides after signing Romain Esse from Millwall, even if that is by default.
With Esse opening his goalscoring account within minutes of entering the Selhurst Park pitch on Sunday, the club will surely be delighted with his initial impact - even in a loss.
Possibly in an attempt to temper expectations regarding incoming players, Oliver Glasner had already said that two had been targeted for January and Esse has already fulfilled half of that quota.
However, the past two weeks have not been plain sailing for the team off the pitch.
Having been waiting on the return of Adam Wharton and Matheus Franca from injury as a boost, instead, the team has fewer players available than at the start of January.
With Trevoh Chalobah returning to Chelsea from his loan deal and potential long-term knee injuries to Chadi Riad and Cheick Doucoure, the team is again scrambling for options.
The feared ACL injury for Riad is particularly worrying for the team's long-term planning. On either side of his MCL knee problem suffered this past summer, he has only played two full matches, one Premier League and one FA Cup. It is not ideal for a young player the club wished to develop into a starting role.
Centre-back was an extremely low priority at the start of the transfer window but now needs addressing urgently as Palace go into firefighting mode.
Nathaniel Clyne and Jefferson Lerma are the primary back-ups for the position, but the latter is starting in midfield because of Doucoure's injury.
As a result, the very foundation of Glasner's defence have been thoroughly disrupted.
Palace have ACL injury fear for Riad published at 11:42 28 January
11:42 28 January
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Crystal Palace fear centre back Chadi Riad has suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury.
The injury, if confirmed, would potentially keep Riad out for the best part of a year and leaves Palace short in the centre-back area.
Chelsea recalled loanee Trevoh Chalobah earlier this month and Riad's injury would leave them with Marc Guehi, Maxence Lacroix and Chris Richards as the only fit senior centre-backs.
Oliver Glasner plays with three central defenders in his system so a serious injury to Riad would present a problem.
The Eagles were not likely to replace Chalobah in the transfer window as they had Riad available after injury.
But if Riad is now out long term, Palace would look to enter the market for another defender.
The Eagles came into this window looking for an attacker and a left wing-back, and signed Romain Esse from Millwall, with the 19-year-old scoring on his debut on Saturday.
Crystal Palace 1-2 Brentford - the fans' verdictpublished at 11:26 27 January
11:26 27 January
Image source, Getty Images
We asked for your thoughts after Sunday's Premier League game between Crystal Palace and Brentford.
Here are some of your comments:
Palace fans
Ricardo: Both sides were poor, but everyone knows how Brentford play - we just couldn't put enough pressure on their back line. Very bad day at the office.
Paddy: We looked second-rate against Brentford. There's no urgency, we were on the back foot for most of the game and it was amateurish of us to encroach into the box! They know everything is being filmed and VAR will love to jump in and spoil the game. We need to beat teams like Brentford at home. Come on Palace!
Moggy: We've been punished for not making the most of our chances in the first half. Too complacent and didn't deserve to win, but would have been happy with a point. Happy for Esse scoring on his debut. Eze needs to get a grip as we all know how good he is.
Steve: The match was like the weather - depressing and miserable. Palace were poor, lacking so much quality in midfield, often failing to hold onto the ball in tight situations. Desperately need a fit Wharton back in the team to bring some degree of control. So disappointing to lose to a Brentford team that is average at best. Important the team bounces back against Man Utd, and defeat doesn't turn into a losing run.
Brentford fans
Gilham: Really solid, confident display. Obviously fortunate with the penalty retake but we now look so confident at this level. Our attacking potential is so good - Mbeumo the starboy, Wissa the best finisher at the club, Schade can be anything he wants, and Damsgaard's levels are through the roof compared to his first two seasons. With Collins now cutting out mistakes, Koyade coming in and Rico returning (albeit a slight setback for now) we even look more solid at the back. All without our record signing of Thiago up front.
Chris: Excellent performance for the entire starting XI. Rode our luck at times but resolute in defence, particularly in the second half.
Jason: Fantastic performance from the Bees. My mate Jim has been to two away games and we've won both times. He has to come next time!
Billy: Solid. Collins and Van den Berg are proving to be an excellent pairing in defence. Schade is starting to find some consistency, and confidence. Very happy.
Catch up on the Premier League actionpublished at 07:44 27 January
07:44 27 January
Highlights and analysis from Sunday's four Premier League fixtures, plus the best of the action from the rest of the weekend.
'It didn't feel like we were close to the equaliser' - Glasnerpublished at 16:40 26 January
16:40 26 January
Image source, Getty Images
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "Both teams neutralised each other for a lot of the time and it looked like the team who made the first mistake would lose.
"We couldn't clear the ball and caused a penalty. He hit the post and Marc [Guehi] was half a yard inside before [Bryan] Mbeumo hit the ball. We didn't do it well enough. They were very efficient and scored the second goal.
"It didn't feel like we were close to the equaliser. We knew it would be a long extra time and I think we started too early with the long balls. We had to prepare for the situation. We went too straight and it's not too difficult to defend.
"The fans pushed the team forward and pushed them to get the equaliser. It didn't work but we know we can always count on our fans.
"The performance was OK, not brilliant but not too bad. We have to work. We knew that conceding a goal against Brentford is difficult because they threaten you with the pace on the attack."
Crystal Palace 1-2 Brentford - send us your thoughtspublished at 15:58 26 January
Sutton's predictions: Crystal Palace v Brentfordpublished at 12:28 26 January
12:28 26 January
Crystal Palace are on a bit of a roll after three wins and two draws in their past five league games.
Form-wise they are on a better run than Brentford, but I was impressed by Thomas Frank's side when I watched them against Liverpool last week - even though they lost.
I am a big fan of Bees striker Bryan Mbeumo, who looked really dangerous in that game. I feel like they will score again here, but I don't think they will win this week either.
Palace were unlucky to lose at Brentford on the opening weekend of the season after Eberechi Eze scored with a free-kick but it was ruled out because the referee had already blown his whistle.
This time, the Eagles are definitely getting something from the game, and this has got a draw written all over it.
Glasner 'fully trusts' Parish as Palace 'working really hard' in transfer marketpublished at 17:59 24 January
17:59 24 January
Image source, Getty Images
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner says "the club are working really hard" to bring in reinforcements before the January transfer window closes in 10 days' time.
Palace signed winger Romain Esse from Millwall last week but have been linked with a move for a defender, while Trevoh Chalobah's recall to Chelsea has opened up a loan slot.
The Eagles were also dealt a double blow this week, with both Chadi Riad and Cheick Doucoure ruled out at least for the visit of Brentford on Sunday after the pair sustained knee injuries.
"Oh yes, we're working," said Glasner in his pre-match news conference. "The club is really working hard and let's see, but last Friday I was more confident that we will announce something within the next 24 hours than today.
"You don't have to expect that there will be an announcement over the weekend, but the club is really working hard on it.
"We have 10 more days' time and I trust my sporting director [Dougie Freedman], I fully trust my chairman [Steve Parish].
"We will find the right ones, because we are just looking for the right ones for us, for our way of playing, for Crystal Palace."
Glasner was positive when speaking on new addition Esse, who has already impressed in training.
"I think we did a great job with signing Romain Esse," he added.
"I think it's a great profile, a great guy, everything we were looking for, and now it is our job to work with him, to integrate him.
"It is the first time he will be in the squad with us and he is doing really well in training, and so these are the players we're looking for."
Glasner on player fitness, Esse and Mateta's return to formpublished at 15:24 24 January
15:24 24 January
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner has been speaking to the media before Saturday's Premier League game against Brentford at Selhurst Park (kick-off 15:00 GMT).
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
Glasner confirmed Cheick Doucoure and Chadi Riad are unavailable for Saturday's match: "The doctors have to look at them, and let's see how it goes, but no [we don't have a timeframe for their return] at the moment."
Elsewhere in the squad, he said Adam Wharton, Joel Ward and Matheus Franca are still unavailable. The latter is back in training, but "needs more time on the pitch" to get match-ready.
Glasner spoke highly of Romain Esse, who joined Palace from Millwall last week: "He's a great profile, a great guy, everything we were looking for. Now it's our job to work with him to integrate him. It's the first time he will be in the squad with us. He's doing really well in training."
He says he is expecting a "very intense game" on Saturday: "Brentford are very, very dangerous in transition with their pace. So they have a clear [defensive] structure, but they also sometimes press very hard. We think we've found some weaknesses we want to exploit. We want to the game to fit to our style. And then it's who gets it better down on the pitch, because I think Thomas Frank will be preparing in the same way."
On Jean-Philippe Mateta's return to form: "He was away weeks for the Olympics, lost the final and then had to come back four days before the start of the Premier League. No-one could be ready for the next competition - it's just human. It took him time. I think I benched him two or three times and he always stayed positive. He was always a good guy and hard-working."