Latest updates from your Sport topics will appear in My Sport in the BBC Sport App and in a collection on the BBC homepage.
Latest updates
Forest goalkeeper Turner on verge of Palace movepublished at 17:22 30 August 2024
17:22 30 August 2024
Nick Mashiter BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Matt Turner is close to a loan move to Crystal Palace.
The 30-year-old is being allowed to leave after Forest brought in Carlos Miguel from Corinthians earlier this summer.
There is no option for Palace to buy the USA international.
Sam Johnstone's £10m move from Palace to Wolves has left the Eagles needing to bring in another goalkeeper to compete with Dean Henderson.
Turner only moved to the City Ground from Arsenal for £10m last summer and he has made 21 appearances for Forest.
Should transfer window close before season starts?published at 16:20 30 August 2024
16:20 30 August 2024
Media caption,
Former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder and Planet Premier League pundit Cesc Fabregas believes the transfer window should close before the season begins.
Glasner on Guehi staying, Riad injury and Chelseapublished at 14:53 30 August 2024
14:53 30 August 2024
Sarah Rendell BBC Sport journalist
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner has been speaking to the media before Sunday's Premier League game against Chelsea (kick-off 13:30 BST).
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
On Marc Guehi remaining a Palace player: "It was never really in doubt. Congrats to Crystal Palace, to the chairman, to the owners that they didn't give in. Especially after the transfer of Joachim Andersen it was very important that Marc stays. Also thank you to Marc. We always were close and talking a lot. All of the rumours didn't influence his performance, mood, his professionalism. He always told me he is not pushing to leave Crystal Palace and for me that is the most important thing."
On Chadi Riad's injury that will keep the defender out for "several weeks": "It looked really bad, and the next day he was very stiff in his knee. The examinations were not so bad, but also not clear enough by the next day, so we have to wait now for the next two weeks to see if the knee is swollen to get the right diagnosis for the future. It doesn’t look so serious. We will miss him definitely for several weeks, but it looked like the ACL is not ruptured, which is very important."
On team news, Riad and Matheus Franca are out but Rob Holding is available against Chelsea. On whether any new players signed on deadline day would be available for Sunday, Glasner said: "No new players will be available but we trust in all of the players who are here. We have a competitive squad and the win against Norwich was important for their confidence."
On the morale in the team: "When I compare it to when I arrived here in February with the mood now, it's two completely different levels."
On transfer window business, particularly after losing players like Michael Olise and Jordan Ayew: "Maybe we lost some players we didn't want to lose but that's part of football. We were well prepared. Maybe you could be critical with us that decisions could have been taken earlier, but it is what it is. We couldn't influence the rumours about Marc, for example. It didn't influence us, the relationship between us and Marc, and him and his team-mates."
On Chelsea: "A fantastic squad. Unbelievable pace, real power in the defence. New manager and lots of structure in how they want to play. It will be a good challenge for us, but our mindset never changes. We go to Stamford Bridge to get the win."
Palace working to bring in left-back published at 14:49 30 August 2024
14:49 30 August 2024
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Reuters
Oliver Glasner has made it clear this summer that Crystal Palace are would like to sign a left-back.
The Eagles had Ryan Sessegnon training with the squad at the beginning of pre-season but decided against offering him a contract.
However, it looks as though Palace and Glasner have plans to bring in a player before the deadline to compete with Tyrick Mitchell as when asked about the position he said: "We're working on it."
Glasner to update on Guehi, transfers and Riadpublished at 13:29 30 August 2024
13:29 30 August 2024
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
The longest-running transfer of the summer has been the talks between Newcastle United and Crystal Palace about centre back Marc Guehi.
It looks as though that Guehi will be staying at Palace after talks broke down.
It will also be interesting to hear about the injury status of Chadi Riad who went off injured in Palace's win over Norwich in the Carabao Cup.
The Eagles themselves are looking to complete deals for Maxence Lacroix, Eddie Nketiah and goalkepeer Matt Turner.
Come back to this page later for all the key lines from Glasner
Guehi move to Newcastle unlikely published at 11:14 30 August 2024
11:14 30 August 2024
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Newcastle United's move for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi looks unlikely to happen, with talks not progressing.
Palace’s summer signing Chadi Riad also limped out of their Carabao Cup win over Norwich, leaving the Eagles with little cover at centre-back if Guehi was to leave.
It is understood the Eagles' valuation, which is closer to £70m than the £65m it was believed to have taken to get Guehi when talks started, has not been met.
Palace are set to sign France centre-back Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg as Oliver Glasner looks to rebuild his backline following the departure of Joachim Andersen to Fulham.
What needs to happen by deadline - the fans' verdictpublished at 07:39 30 August 2024
07:39 30 August 2024
We asked what you have made of Crystal Palace's transfer window so far, and what needs to be done on deadline day.
Here are some of your comments:
Les: Definitely a central defender and a striker. If Guehi leaves we will be very weak at centre-back. Mateta is the only decent striker we have. Unfortunately Edouard is not up to it. Saying that, two strikers in the Premier League is not enough. We need three strikers to compete.
Gary: We need another centre-back, regardless of if Guehi stays or not, and cover for Mitchell. Looks like Nketiah will sign. Johnstone has gone so need a new keeper. If we can add to the squad we'll have a good bench and depth.
Phil: We should not only replace players that are leaving we should invest the money coming in on better players than we have now. This would help to improve the squad and hopefully not fear the possibility of relegation that we have every season.
Evan: I think another centre-back and another backup attacking midfielder if Eze was to leave or Kamada get injured.
Follow all the drama unfold as the clock ticks downpublished at 07:03 30 August 2024
07:03 30 August 2024
Here's all you need to know about transfer deadline day on Friday...
When does the window close?
The transfer window will close at 23:00 BST on Friday, 30 August for the Premier League, English Football League and Scotland.
The date was brought forward by the domestic leagues to align with European leagues.
Across Europe, the Bundesliga window will close at 19:00, Ligue 1 at 22:00, La Liga at 22:59 and Serie A at 23:00, but the Saudi Pro League transfer window remains open until 7 September.
Can a Premier League player signed on deadline day play this weekend?
Under league rules, new signings are eligible for the next Premier League game if the club submit the required documents by midday on the last working day before that match.
So any player signed after 12:00 on deadline day would be unable to play in this round of Premier League fixtures.
Where can I see all the confirmed transfer deals on deadline day?
Clubs will be able to make transfers again from Wednesday, 1 January until Monday, 3 February at 23:00 GMT. This is the same in Germany, Italy, Spain and France.
How can I follow transfer deadline day on the BBC?
You will also find regular updates on BBC Radio 5 Live and breaking news across BBC Sport's social media channels, including X (formerly Twitter), Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.
There will also be a special edition of The Football News Show on BBC iPlayer and the Red Button from 22:00 until 23:15.
Chelsea v Crystal Palace - did you know?published at 06:43 30 August 2024
06:43 30 August 2024
Image source, Getty Images
Chelsea have won their past 13 Premier League games against Crystal Palace. Only Manchester City (a current run of 14 against Bournemouth) have ever had a longer winning streak against an opponent in English Football League history.
Noni Madueke scored three goals for Chelsea in their 6-2 win at Wolves last time out. He is the 23rd different player to score a Premier League hat-trick for the club, giving the Blues more different hat-trick scorers than any other side in the competition.
Gossip: Newcastle give up on Guehipublished at 06:33 30 August 2024
06:33 30 August 2024
Newcastle United are set to walk away from their long-running pursuit of defender Marc Guehi after growing tired of negotiating with Crystal Palace. (Sky Sports), external
Ipswich Town are considering a move for Eagles striker Odsonne Edouard of Crystal Palace after a loan deal for Chelsea's Armando Broja fell through. (Standard), external
Deadline day - a fan's takepublished at 16:18 29 August 2024
16:18 29 August 2024
Jay Crame Fan Writer
There simply is not enough time for Oliver Glasner and the club to bring in the players to cover all needs.
Starting with the goalkeeper, if Sam Johnstone goes - which is likely - a replacement will be needed. Another striking option has been needed for a while, with Eddie Nketiah fitting the bill.
Elsewhere, Palace need a left wing-back to give Tyrick Mitchell much needed competition, along with another attacking player to try and fill the massive void left by Michael Olise, and a centre-back to replace Joachim Andersen. We expect that to be Maxence Lacroix from Wolfsburg. Something that may throw a bit of a spanner in the works could be the injury to Chadi Riad in the Carabao Cup, which could end up being a lengthy one.
The concern is that with the departures in the summer of players with expiring contracts and of those sold since, the squad depth just is not there this season so a bout of injuries could hit us hard.
It is expected that the club bring in at least two players, potentially three and they will be sensible signings at that to cover immediate needs.
That is all without taking into account Palace losing any more players in this window, and with all that being considered, I am a firm advocate of the window closing before the season starts. It's been such a big distraction for all involved at the club in recent weeks.
England squad announced for September gamespublished at 14:20 29 August 2024
14:20 29 August 2024
Interim head coach Lee Carsley has named his first England squad for September's Nations League games against the Republic of Ireland and Finland.
Newcastle defender Tino Livramento, Nottingham Forest's Morgan Gibbs-White, Lille's Angel Gomes and Chelsea's Noni Madueke are the four new caps named.
Gossip: Eagles closing in on Lacroixpublished at 08:01 29 August 2024
08:01 29 August 2024
Crystal Palace have agreed a deal with Wolfsburg for French defender Maxence Lacroix, 24, as a direct replacement for Denmark centre-half Joachim Andersen, 28, who has joined Fulham. (Sky Sports), external
Galatasaray and Ivory Coast forward Wilfried Zaha’s return to the Premier League has been all-but ruled out because of tax issues. Zaha's former club Crystal Palace were among those interested in re-signing the 31-year-old on loan. (Standard), external
Palace need signings to bring back good feeling published at 16:53 28 August 2024
16:53 28 August 2024
Alex Howell BBC Sport football news reporter
The last couple of days of the window could change the feeling of the season for Crystal Palace.
The end of the last campaign had supporters entering this season filled with positivity and, while it may have been a touch hopeful, thinking about possible European qualification if the team managed to pick up from where it ended last season.
That good feeling is quite far away at the moment. The Eagles have lost both of their opening league games and also waved goodbye to key players in Michael Olise and Joachim Andersen.
Losing Andersen was something of a shock although with the deal in the region of £30m, it is good business. It comes amid continued interest in Marc Guehi from Newcastle and talks about a move for the England centre-back are continuing.
Chairman Steve Parish said he can’t imagine a window where they’d lose both centre-halves but that is a possibility.
Chadi Riad limped out of the win over Norwich in the Carabao Cup and a deal for Maxence Lacroix is not completed yet, meaning the Eagles are very thin at centre-back.
Rob Holding has not played for the club in the Premier League since signing last season and was not in the squad for the win over Norwich.
Palace are hoping to complete the signing of Eddie Nketiah which will add a much needed attacking option as they look to fill the void left by Olise.
Forward Jean Phillipe Mateta is currently unsettled and wants to try to play Champions League football after a run of form that has seen only Erling Haaland (20) score more than Mateta (15) in all competitions since February 24th.
It’s understood that negotiations are ongoing with Mateta but the Eagles cannot afford to lose any more key players before the window closes without some serious acquisitions being made if they want to reach their goals.
What transfer business is still needed?published at 12:25 28 August 2024
12:25 28 August 2024
As transfer deadline day looms, what do Crystal Palace need to do before it's too late? Or are you happy with where things are up to?
When is the Carabao Cup third-round draw?published at 12:20 28 August 2024
12:20 28 August 2024
Image source, Getty Images
The draw for the third round of the Carabao Cup will take place on Wednesday at the conclusion of the second-round tie between Nottingham Forest and Newcastle United.
The seven English clubs involved in European competitions this season, including holders Liverpool, will enter at the third-round stage.
Ties will take place on weeks commencing 16 and 23 September.
Because there are rounds of Champions League and Europa League fixtures also scheduled for those two midweeks, the six clubs involved in those competitions - Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Manchester United - will be kept apart to ensure they can fulfil their Carabao Cup tie in the alternate midweek to their European fixture.
Those six clubs will take part in a pre-draw before Forest v Newcastle to decide if they will be at home or away in the third round, with a main draw determining the 16 ties later in the evening.
Should Chelsea progress to the next phase of the Conference League, they will not be in action in that competition again until the start of October.
Crystal Palace 4-0 Norwich - the fans' verdictpublished at 09:16 28 August 2024
09:16 28 August 2024
We asked for your thoughts after Tuesday's Carabao Cup game between Crystal Palace and Norwich.
Here are some of your comments:
Lee: Better all-round performance. Mateta took his goals very well and there were glimpses of Eze getting back to his best. Guehi and Hughes were superb. Need to add to the squad by Friday.
Gruff: Excellent goal for Kamada, hopefully he’ll build confidence. Very poor first half in general though, with Norwich far the better team. Great goals from Eze and Mateta. Defensively we were poor and Henderson's fantastic saves kept the clean sheet. Hopefully we can build on this and get a result at Chelsea.
Rich: Very average first half. Confidence was still not up. Glasner's half-time talk did the trick and we started to click. Hughes and Guehi stood out first half and Mateta looked like he found his shooting boots second half. Encouraging signs but Riad injury and Guehi worry would only leave Richards at centre-back. We can't lose Marc! And we still need two or three players.
Nigel: We needed the half-time talk by Glasner and responded well. Eze worked hard for his goal and Mateta got his deserved pair to improve his confidence. Henderson made two amazing saves in either half. What is needed now is to keep Guehi and the others in the team that Glasner expected to take us into Europe next year.
Philip: You could see the players confidence increased after each goal but the team still look vulnerable on the break. Hopefully there won't be any further players leaving by the close of the transfer window on Friday.
Freddy: Pretty dominant performance. Individuals looked like they had more confidence. Eze back to his usual self. Kamada looks absolutely class. Mateta didn't play that well but scored a fantastic goal, which should give him confidence. Hopefully the team now push on in the league.
Gossip: Wolves near deal for keeper Johnstonepublished at 07:33 28 August 2024