Everton

Latest updates

  1. Moyes on return to club, 'huge pressure' and needing 'elite players'published at 18:37 13 January

    Nicola Pearson
    BBC Sport journalist

    Everton boss David Moyes has been speaking to the media before Wednesday's Premier League game against Aston Villa (kick-off 19:30 GMT).

    Here are the key lines from his news conference:

    • Moyes confirmed Dwight McNeil is still unavailable with an "ongoing knee issue", Armando Broja is awaiting another scan and Dominic Calvert-Lewin trained on Monday so "should be OK" for the game on Wednesday.

    • The returning Everton boss said he "did not expect the job to come up", but that the Toffees are "a different beast" and it was "too big an opportunity to turn down".

    • On previous comments after leaving West Ham about not wanting to return to managing a team in a relegation fight: "Everton is different. A couple of weeks ago I didn't think Everton could be in a relegation battle, I thought they would be strong enough to get out of it. I've come into the seat now and I'm going to back that up and say we are going to be strong enough to get away from it. But, I'm not kidding myself, or anyone else, we will need everyone behind us."

    • He said he has had "good conversations" with the new ownership, adding: "I have had privilege here to work under some great owners and people who have helped me. I've worked under people whose intentions were to build a better Everton. I think they did that, we did that in a period that wasn't easy either. This period is not going to be easy, but new ownership has big ideas and big hopes that they can make a big difference to the football club."

    • On first priorities: "First priority is winning football matches. But there is other things of course, like building the club back up if possible. I don't think damage has been done by any managers but damage has been done through a long period of time. I had a great time here and I would love to be a part of making it better. The new stadium looks the business, it looks elite, now we need to get the elite players to give everyone something to shout about when we move."

    • Moyes said that after his first training sessions with the team, they are "in good spirits" and that they "had a bit of laughter, bit of fun as well". He added: "When things aren't as good, you need to find ways of keeping chins up and things bright."

    • The new boss also confirmed that under-18s manager Leighton Baines and his former staff at West Ham - Billy McKinlay and Alan Irvine - will be joining his coaching team as he wants to "try and work quickly with people I know and trust".

    • He revealed there had been "three or four occasions" when he nearly returned to the club since leaving in 2013, but was now nervous coming back for the first time since his departure and feels "huge pressure" to keep them in the league.

    • Moyes believes forward Calvert-Lewin "can be the one to make a big difference" but has told him he needs "goals off him straight away and he has to start delivering".

    Listen to full commentary of Everton v Aston Villa from 19:30 GMT on Wednesday on BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  2. Dyche 'never going to take Everton into their new stadium'published at 13:12 13 January

    Chief football writer Phil McNulty byline banner
    Sean DycheImage source, Getty Images

    Andy asked: With Sean Dyche seemingly saying he had taken the Everton squad as far as he could, is criticism of The Friedkin Group unfair? I'm not sure he left them with much choice.

    Phil answered: I think the criticism of TFG is unfair in that if Sean Dyche felt he had taken Everton as far as he could (or perhaps this particular squad as far as he could) then they could not wait before acting as the current situation is very worrying.

    The timing was certainly unusual, a couple of hours before the FA Cup tie against Peterborough United, but we must assume negotiations over severance terms were taking place.

    My view, stated many times here, was that Dyche was never going to be the manager taking Everton into their new stadium, but I'm sure in an ideal world TFG would have preferred to have made this decision at the end of the season, not three weeks into their reign.

    In the end, circumstances forced their hand.

  3. How FA Cup fourth-round draw panned outpublished at 18:07 12 January

    The draw for the FA Cup fourth round has been made. Here is a list of all the ties involving Premier League teams in the order they were drawn.

    Games will be played over the weekend of 8 February.

    • Manchester United v Leicester

    • Brighton v Chelsea

    • Exeter v Nottingham Forest

    • Coventry v Ipswich

    • Blackburn v Wolves

    • Mansfield/Wigan v Fulham

    • Birmingham v Newcastle

    • Plymouth v Liverpool

    • Everton v Bournemouth

    • Aston Villa v Tottenham

    • Southampton v Burnley

    • Leyton Orient/Derby v Manchester City

    • Doncaster v Crystal Palace

    See the full draw

  4. Moyes returns - the fans' verdictpublished at 12:17 11 January

    Your views banner

    We asked for your views on David Moyes' return to Everton - and you have certainly responded!

    We have been inundated with comments, with many different opinions on the 61-year-old's appointment - some of you are happy to see him back, and some of you are not so keen.

    Read below for a selection of replies from both sides of the coin...

  5. The case for...published at 12:16 11 January

    David MoyesImage source, Getty Images

    David: I believe Moyes is the right appointment at this time. He is available and there isn't any compensation to pay. Hopefully the players and fans can unite behind him. He will keep us in the Premier League and play a more entertaining brand of football. But it will take time - Sean Dyche has sucked the life out of the club.

    Brian: Probably the the sensible choice at this point because the team needs a reboot after the pragmatic style of Dyche. There are too many good players to be languishing at the bottom end.

    Malcolm: This is classic Moyes take-over territory. He will solidify, inspire and develop the players into a team that picks up narrow victories regularly. It is practically a given. What comes next will define his legacy.

    Ivor: Mixed emotions sad - sad for Sean but elated for David. He will give a much-needed boost to the squad and the supporters. Optimism returns to Goodison Park.

    Paul: This is a very needed appointment. The past three managers (Rafael Benitez, Frank Lampard and Dyche) smacked of desperation. Moyes will be a safe pair of hands, but it is stating the obvious that we need a couple of quality signings - preferably who know where the net is.

    Andrew: Absolutely the right choice. We need the stability and experience, and he understands the uniqueness of Everton.

  6. The case against...published at 12:15 11 January

    David Moyes managing EvertonImage source, Getty Images

    Paul: We're going backwards. He's not much different than Dyche and mid-table mediocrity will be judged as a success. I could understand until the end of the season, but not two and a half years.

    Tom: Shows no vision for going into a new stadium and future appointment is based on keeping us in Premier League and that is it. I think supporters deserve a braver approach.

    Gary: It is madness. Why would you go back to a club? It is a massive challenge as the team needs a complete overhaul. I don't think he has a enough time to turn it around unless the new owners invest heavily.

    Adrian: Hmmm - not so sure. Going back is never really a good idea and when Moyes was in charge, Everton were very average. Not an inspired choice.

    Terry: This is like going backwards. Yes he did wonders at Goodison, but this is a different Premier League and top players are hard to come by, unless you spend big big bucks!

    Troy: Never go back a second time around, it never works. It only destroys their legacy they left behind. He should have retired and enjoyed his life.

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  7. 'Safe pair of hands' gives fans what they wantedpublished at 12:02 11 January

    Shamoon Hafez
    BBC Sport football news reporter

    Everton expert view banner
    David Moyes at Goodison ParkImage source, Getty Images

    With Everton teetering above the drop zone, David Moyes' key task will be to ensure the club move into their new stadium on Bramley-Moore Dock next season playing Premier League football.

    The side have been sound defensively but stagnated under Sean Dyche's one-dimensional style of play, with the team creating few chances and the goals drying up.

    Strikers Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Beto have struggled to score with a lack of service, but will now have a fresh start under a new boss with different ideas to help fire the club back up the table.

    Supporters had grown tired of watching the team and, despite a general consensus that dismissing Dyche was the correct decision, there was a subdued atmosphere in the FA Cup third-round tie against Peterborough on Thursday.

    The Blues faithful have been starved of success, but a significant issue at the club in recent years has been a lack of stability.

    The Toffees have had to install yet another man in the dugout, and caretaker boss Leighton Baines said there has to be "hope and optimism" amid the managerial change.

    Moyes is a safe pair of hands as he returns to familiar surroundings, with the hierarchy bringing back someone who many fans wanted. Their job now is to stand by the new manager.

  8. How much work does Moyes have to do?published at 10:01 11 January

    David Moyes looking dejected on the touchlineImage source, Getty Images

    Everton's numbers in the league this season make for grim reading:

    • Only in three seasons in their history have they scored fewer goals after 19 games.

    • They have the division's lowest expected goals (xG) at 18.33.

    • Their tally of 63 shots on target is the second lowest behind Southampton's 58.

    • Everton's average of 0.79 goals per game is their lowest in 13 seasons. It was 1.05 last season and 0.89 in 2022-23.

    So, will Moyes turn it around? Have your say on the appointment

  9. When is the FA Cup fourth-round draw?published at 10:00 11 January

    A general view of the balls being prepared for an FA Cup drawImage source, Getty Images

    The FA Cup third round is well under way, with Premier League sides Everton, Fulham and Aston Villa the clubs already booking their places in the fourth-round draw with wins on Thursday and Friday.

    But for other sides hoping for a healthy cup run this season, when will the draw take place?

    The draw will be live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer following the conclusion of the Arsenal v Manchester United tie, which kicks off at 15:00 GMT on Sunday.

    It will include 32 teams - with all third-round matches this weekend settled on the day - and the resulting ties will be played over the weekend commencing Saturday, 8 February.

  10. 'It's great to be back'published at 09:26 11 January

    David MoyesImage source, Getty Images

    Those are the words of David Moyes as he returns to Everton as manager.

    Moyes has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract at Goodison Park following the sacking of Sean Dyche on Thursday.

    Everton are 16th in the Premier League - one point clear of the relegation zone - with only three wins from 19 games this season.

    "I enjoyed 11 wonderful and successful years at Everton and didn't hesitate when I was offered the opportunity to rejoin this great club," said Moyes.

    "Now we need Goodison and all Evertonians to play their part in getting behind the players in this important season so we can move into our fabulous new stadium as a Premier League team."

    Is Moyes the right man, Blues fans? Have your say

  11. Moyes returns to Everton - what do you think?published at 09:09 11 January

    Have your say banner

    So, it is David Moyes who will succeed the sacked Sean Dyche at Everton - the 61-year-old returning to Goodison Park for a second spell, after managing the club from 2002 to 2013.

    What do you make of it, Blues fans? Is this what Everton need to galvanise the club under new ownership? Or would you have preferred someone else?

    Let us know here

  12. Could Moyes bring 'stability and safety'?published at 12:08 10 January

    Ian Kennedy
    BBC Radio Merseyside reporter

    Everton expert view banner
    David Moyes during his time as Everton managerImage source, Getty Images

    Whenever a manager is sacked, we often talk about how important the next appointment will be. But never more so than now.

    Everton have a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium waiting on the waterfront and it is vital that they go there as a Premier League club. Whoever comes in will need the experience and ability to make sure that is the case.

    David Moyes is already being strongly linked and he would fit the bill on many levels. He is experienced, yes, but more than anything he understands the club, understands the fans and the rich traditions of Everton. He even coined the phrase "The People's Club".

    And he is available.

    But we shall see - and whoever comes in will still have around half the season to try to get the side back to a comfortable position. The long-term vision is another matter. But for now, it is about stability and safety.

    Listen to Total Sport Merseyside from 18:00 on weeknights and find details here of live Everton match commentaries on BBC Radio Merseyside

    Explore Everton content on BBC Sounds

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  13. 'The proverbial safe pair of hands'published at 10:49 10 January

    Mike Richards
    Fan writer

    Everton fan's voice banner
    The Mirror, Star and Express back pagesImage source, Mirror, Star and Express

    After weeks of Sean Dyche's managerial term at the club being on life support, it appears he decided he had taken us as far as he could if reports are to be believed.

    It is somewhat surprising that a man whose tenure was all about broad shoulders and fight, lacked the stomach to see the job through.

    The vast majority of the fan base will be delighted the Friedkins have taken action. Whatever the circumstances around his dismissal, it was needed, it is justified and it is time to look ahead.

    Stability at our football club is so desperately needed. We have achieved it off the field, so it is now time to reach the same goal on it.

    The immediate talk has indicated David Moyes leads the way with a quick appointment on the cards.

    Moyes has his detractors among supporters. How he left the club, underhand bids for both Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini and allegations of referring to Evertonians as "a disgrace" not sitting well with some.

    I always believe time is a great healer. The most important thing is the football club and its best interests.

    Moyes is the proverbial safe pair of hands who can certainly provide stability and begin the major rebuild we so desperately need.

    A time will come when we appoint a young, up-and-coming manager, who can reinvent the club's identity. Now isn't that time.

    A strong head, safe hands and familiar face makes perfect sense.

    Maybe it is written in the stars.

    Find more from Mike Richards at Unholy Trinity, external

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  14. The cycle 'we have to break' - Hornepublished at 09:56 10 January

    Sean Dyche and David Moyes shake handsImage source, Getty Images

    "Appointing someone hastily is the cycle that we have to break," says former Everton captain Barry Horne on BBC Radio Merseyside.

    Reflecting on the timing of Sean Dyche's exit announcement and what the owners should do next: "They are successful businessmen with an interest in football so you would like to think they know what they are doing.

    "They will either have a plan and someone will be appointed quickly, or nobody really knew this was going to happen and the departure of Dyche was not the intention of Thursday's meeting.

    "I have no idea because the circumstances are just so strange. The worst thing that can happen is that they don't have someone already lined up and they appoint someone hastily.

    "That is the cycle we have to break."

    Listen to Horne on BBC Sounds

    Listen on BBC Sounds
  15. 'Spend money on players rather than a manager'published at 08:58 10 January

    David MoyesImage source, Getty Images

    Former Everton captain Alan Stubbs says he was "shocked" Sean Dyche was sacked a matter of hours before the FA Cup game against Peterborough as he feels that is not a professional way for a club to behave.

    "I thought it was going to happen but I am shocked it did on the day of a game," he told BBC Radio Merseyside. "I think it has been on the cards since Monday because when I looked at Dyche in his press conference, I thought he already knew that he was going.

    "It was very short and subdued and through his body language it looked like he knew. It hasn't been dealt with in the right professional manner."

    As with every manager sacking, the attention soon turns to who could succeed Dyche at Goodison Park and Graham Potter is no longer an option after being unveiled as West Ham's new boss on Thursday.

    "I don't believe that Everton are in a position where they can pay someone's compensation to get them out of another club right now because of the PSR [profit and sustainability rules] impact," said Stubbs.

    "The club need to be spending the money on players rather than a manager right now, so that leads me to looking at managers who are out of work.

    "It is leaning towards David Moyes coming in. He will have to win some fans over who are still not happy about the way that he left, but others would like to see him back.

    "What fans needs to see right now is the team playing in a different way and getting results. It is possible with this group of players but under Dyche they appeared to lack confidence and belief.

    "If Moyes can do that and turn it around then he would be accepted again."

    Listen to Stubbs' full interview on BBC Sounds

    BBC Sounds banner