Ulster

Latest updates

  1. Ulster's McIlroy out with 'significant' knee injurypublished at 14:22 14 January

    Ethan McIlroy is helped off the pitchImage source, Inpho
    Image caption,

    Ethan McIlroy was forced off in the first half against Leicester Tigers

    Ulster full-back Ethan McIlroy sustained a "significant" knee injury in Saturday's Investec Champions Cup defeat away to Leicester Tigers.

    McIlroy, who was making his return from injury, was forced off after 22 minutes of the game at Welford Road after pulling up hurt when catching the ball.

    Ulster said on Tuesday that the 24-year-old will visit a specialist to determine the extent of the injury.

    Wing Zac Ward will follow return-to-play protocols after being forced off with a concussion midway through the second half.

    In a boost to head coach Richie Murphy's back-three options, Michael Lowry and Stewart Moore have returned to full training ahead of Ulster's final Pool A match with Exeter Chiefs and will be assessed for selection.

    First-choice hookers Rob Herring and Tom Stewart will also be monitored ahead of the game after returning to training from injury.

    Progression in the Champions Cup is unlikely even if Ulster defeat Exeter on Friday; however, a draw or victory in Belfast would secure fifth in the pool and a place in the Challenge Cup.

    Ulster have lost all three of their European matches so far this season, to Toulouse, Bordeaux and Leicester, while Exeter are also winless in the competition.

  2. Ulster forwards O'Sullivan and Andrew extend dealspublished at 12:41 14 January

    Eric O'Sullivan and John AndrewImage source, Inpho

    Experienced Ulster forwards Eric O'Sullivan and John Andrew have signed contract extensions.

    Loosehead prop O'Sullivan has penned a new deal until 2027 while hooker Andrew has committed his future to the club until 2026.

    Dubliner O'Sullivan, 29, has made 125 appearances for the province since his debut in 2018.

    "I feel very at home here and enjoy playing with of a great group of lads," said O'Sullivan.

    "We are developing a squad for the future and I'm excited to be a part of that."

    Ballymena native Andrew, 31, said he is "very happy" to have extended for another season.

    "It's always an honour for me every chance I get to play for Ulster, and I'll be doing everything I can to contribute to the team both on and off the pitch for the rest of this season and beyond," said Andrew, who made his debut in 2015."

  3. Bassett shines as Leicester beat Ulster to qualifypublished at 22:28 11 January

    Mantej Mann
    BBC Sport journalist

    Josh Bassett celebrates scoring a tryImage source, Getty Images
    Image caption,

    Josh Bassett completed his hat-trick on the hour mark at Welford Road

    Investec Champions Cup Pool 1

    Leicester Tigers: (12) 38

    Try: Bassett 3, Hassell-Collins 2, Perese Con: Pollard 2, Steward, Shillcock

    Ulster: (10) 10

    Try: Timoney Con: Doak Pen: Doak

    Josh Bassett scored a hat-trick as Leicester Tigers recovered from a sloppy start to beat Ulster and secure qualification for the knockout stage of the Investec Champions Cup.

    Ulster arrived at Welford Road without a point from their opening two games in Pool 1 but scored a surprise first try through Nick Timoney.

    Leicester seemed undercooked in the freezing East Midlands conditions but Bassett opened his account with a fine finish out wide.

    Nathan Doak's early penalty meant Ulster led as the clock ticked into the red at the end of the first half but the hosts still had time to nudge in front at the break after running another backs move for Bassett to double his tally.

    An infuriated Michael Cheika was seen lambasting his players during the interval and Leicester were much improved after the break following their head coach's stern words.

    Watching Bassett cross twice inspired fellow Tigers wing Ollie Hassell-Collins to join the act with two tries of his own as the hosts wrapped up the bonus point.

    Bassett found more space close to the touchline to run clear for his third before Izaia Perese also crossed to add further gloss to the scoreline.

    Tigers remain third with a final pool game at champions Toulouse to come next Sunday, while Ulster will need to beat Exeter with a bonus point and hope Sharks leave Bordeaux-Begles empty-handed to qualify.

    Leicester warm up to the challenge

    Leicester cruised past an under-strength Sharks side in their last Champions Cup outing but lacked the same fluency in the opening exchanges against Ulster.

    Doak's penalty handed the Irish province the lead before Timoney was the beneficiary of a fortuitous bounce from a clearance kick which beat two covering Leicester defenders.

    The hosts are trying to employ more width in their attacks but struggled for accuracy, though their intent eventually paid dividends when Bassett was fed wide for a clinical finish cutting back against the traffic.

    The winger crossed by a similar method in the same corner to hand Tigers the lead at the break, and Cheika's side let the handbrake off in the second half.

    Leicester made inroads with the pack before whipping the ball wide again for Hassell-Collins to score, before the winger doubled his tally soon after following some neat hands despite the bitter cold.

    Bassett was not to be outdone by his wing partner and latched on to his own kick through for the hat-trick as the youthful Ulster backline failed to clear the danger, before Perese skipped through close to the same touchline for the final flurry.

    Line-ups

    Leicester Tigers: Steward; Bassett; Perese, Kata; Hassell-Collins; Pollard, Van Poortvliet; Smith, Montoya (capt), Heyes; Henderson, Holloway; Carnduff, Reffell, Cracknell.

    Replacements: Clare, Whitcombe, Cole, Wells, Ilione, Youngs, Shillcock, Woodward.

    Ulster: McIlroy; Kok; Carson, Postlewaite; Ward; Morgan, Doak; Warwick, Andrew, Wilson; Henderson (capt), Izuchukwu; McNabney, Timoney, McCann.

    Replacements: McCormick, O'Sullivan, Barrett, Treadwell, Sheridan, Cooney, Murphy, Telfer.

    Referee: Craig Evans (Wal)

  4. Confidence growing week by week - Ulster's McNabneypublished at 22:39 9 January

    Ulster back row James McNabney in action against the BullsImage source, Getty Images
    Image caption,

    Ulster back row James McNabney in action against the Bulls in the United Rugby Championship

    Ulster back row James McNabney says his confidence "is growing week by week" as he continues to establish himself as a regular starter in head coach Richie Murphy's team this season.

    The 21-year-old made three appearances for the Irish province in the 2023-24 campaign but has featured in seven games to date this term, including six starting roles at either flanker or number eight.

    McNabney has been on the field from the start in the wins over Glasgow Warriors and Connacht, as well as defeats by Bulls, Leinster, Toulouse and Munster.

    "I knew within myself I had the capability, I just needed the opportunity," said McNabney before Saturday's Investec Champions Cup pool game against Leicester Tigers at Welford Road.

    "Week by week confidence is growing and you can probably see that in my performances. As you get to know the players more the more you feel you can fit in and play round them."

    McNabney did not play mini-rugby - his early sporting interest was focused more on horse riding - but he took up the game while a pupil at Cambridge House Grammar School.

    The Ballymena native went on to be part of the 2022 and 2023 Ireland Under-20s Grand Slam-winning sides under Murphy, as well as being a member of the Ulster Rugby Academy, an opportunity to "mature and grow".

    "It's probably a good thing I came the path I did. I was more raw when I started, getting to know different rules and the knowledge that I didn't have," said McNabney.

    "If you had gone to more of a rugby school you'd have gone into that in more depth and not coming from that the more I get to know now the more I've excelled.

    "Other people have maybe hit their ceiling whereas I'm moving on."

    McNabney's laid-back approach to the game leaves him relatively unfazed by the prospect of facing Michael Cheika's English Premiership side but his determination to build on a URC win over Connacht in their last outing is clear.

    "Every team you face are just 15 players and they are beatable so go out with confidence. I'll just take it in my stride and hopefully play well," he said.

    "We know they're going to be a big physical side and we know what they're going to bring but you can only look at them so much because you need to focus on yourself and focus on the team.

    "The win over Connacht was only one win. We need to back it up this week with a good performance."

  5. Ulster 'not finished' setting coaching team - Murphypublished at 08:40 8 January

    Mark SextonImage source, Inpho
    Image caption,

    Attack coach Mark Sexton will leave Connacht at the end of the season

    Head coach Richie Murphy says there is "always going to be speculation" after Ulster were linked with a move for coach Mark Sexton.

    Sexton, brother of former Ireland fly-half Johnny, will leave Connacht at the end of the season to take up "a new opportunity".

    Murphy said there is "potentially a new coaching position" at Ulster but did not say any more on Sexton.

    "We're fairly a long way down the process of setting our coaching team for next year, but we're not finished yet," said Murphy.

    "There are obviously a couple of coaches that are off contract at the end of the year that are currently with us.

    "Over the next number of weeks we'll feel like we will be in a position to be able to clarify exactly what is happening next year.

    "At this moment we are probably not there yet."

    Sexton, who was promoted to Connacht's attack coach this season, previously worked with Murphy as Ireland won two Grand Slams in the Under-20s Six Nations.

    "There is potentially a new coaching position within Ulster Rugby. There definitely is, and a restructuring of different roles as well.

    "It's unfair, and it's unfinished at the moment, so I can't really confirm what that looks like."

  6. Lowry out of Ulster's Leicester trip but Henderson fitpublished at 18:47 6 January

    Michael Lowry (left) and Iain Henderson (right)Image source, Inpho
    Image caption,

    Michael Lowry (left) will miss Ulster's game against Leicester on Saturday but Iain Henderson will be available for the Welford Road contest

    Michael Lowry is out of Ulster's Investec Champions Cup game against Leicester on Saturday after being added to the Irish province's lengthy injury list but Iain Henderson will be available for the Welford Road game.

    Utility back Lowry suffered a thigh muscle injury in the win over Connacht on 28 December.

    Hooker Rob Herring was a late withdrawal from the game in Galway after sustaining a calf injury in the warm-up and his fitness will be monitored this week.

    Ireland lock Henderson will join Ethan McIlroy and Callum Reid in being available for selection after a recent absence while Stewart Moore has resumed squad training following a thigh injury.

    Henderson missed the games over the Christmas period against Munster and Connacht after sustaining an injury in the Champions Cup home defeat by Bordeaux.

    Ireland internationals Jacob Stockdale (hamstring), Stuart McCloskey (hamstring), Robert Baloucoune (calf), Tom Stewart (hamstring) and James Hume (knee) are among Ulster's injury absentees with Ben Moxham (knee) and Sean Reffell (ankle) also ruled out of the Leicester contest.

    Tom O'Toole will miss Saturday's game after being handed a six-game suspension which will rule him out of Ulster's next three matches and Ireland's opening two Six Nations fixtures against England and Scotland.

    O'Toole was red carded against Munster and served the first game of his suspension when missing the Connacht game.

  7. Timoney agrees new two-year contract with Ulsterpublished at 18:06 2 January

    Ulster back row Nick TimoneyImage source, Getty Images
    Image caption,

    Nick Timoney has become an established player across Ulster's back row

    Ulster back row Nick Timoney has agreed a new two-year contract which will keep him with the Irish province until at least 2027.

    The 29-year-old has been a key figure for Ulster in recent seasons and captained the team to victory over Connacht in Galway at the weekend, delivering a player-of-the-match performance.

    His eye-catching performances across the back row and try-scoring ability have also seen him become a regular member of the Ireland squad over the past few years, having made his debut against the USA in 2021.

    Timoney has made more than 150 appearances for Ulster.

    Ulster Rugby's general manager Bryn Cunningham said: "Agreeing terms with Nick before the Christmas period was a high priority for us, and we are delighted that he is fully invested in what we are trying to build here.

    "Nick is one of the most well-rounded back-row players in Europe and it's been no surprise to hear about interest in him from other big clubs.

    "He is someone that is a standard-setter to those around him and is a very popular member of the senior squad because of the attitude, commitment and leadership he puts in every week, and he will be a key part of this team's future."

    Reacting to the confirmation of his new deal Timoney said he was "delighted" to extend his stay with the northern province.

    "I feel very at home here and believe we have the squad to develop and become better in the years ahead.

    "We have some young talent coming through that adds to our group of experienced players and that is something that both excites and motivates you for the seasons ahead.

    "I've said I want to keep progressing as a player and I fully believe I can become the best I can be here at Ulster."

  8. Ireland wing Stockdale extends Ulster dealpublished at 12:18 24 December 2024

    Jacob StockdaleImage source, Inpho
    Image caption,

    Stockdale had been linked with a move to the Top 14 league in France

    Ireland wing Jacob Stockdale has ended speculation over his future by signing a new two-year deal with Ulster, keeping him at the club until 2027.

    The 28-year-old had been linked with a move to France, but has committed his future to the Belfast-based club for the duration of the current World Cup cycle.

    Stockdale enjoyed a strong 2023-24 season with nine tries in 16 United Rugby Championship games and has added three this term, leading to his Ireland return in last month's Autumn Nations Series win over Fiji.

    The 2018 Six Nations Grand Slam winner and player of the tournament has made 127 appearances for Ulster having broken into the team in 2016.

    "I'm delighted to sign for the next couple of seasons here," said Stockdale, who has 38 Ireland caps.

    "I feel good about where my game is at and where this team is heading. There is a lot of excitement around the place with the young players coming up and I am enjoying my role as one of the experienced players in the team."

    Stockdale has not played for Ulster since 18 October having returned from Ireland duty with what the club's head coach Richie Murphy described as a "significant" hamstring injury.

    Ulster general manager Bryn Cunningham said: "Securing Jacob's future is key for us, given his importance in the team. It was no surprise to hear about interest in his signature from elsewhere, given his talent and special skillset.

    "We believe we are seeing Jacob get back to the form he was showing before his long-term ankle injury a couple of years ago. He has showed great resilience and hard work to get back to that level of strength and fitness.

    "A fit and confident Jacob is one of the deadliest wingers in rugby and we think the next couple of seasons will see the peak years of his career, both for Ulster and on the international stage in a green jersey."

    Stockdale is the latest in a series of Ulster contract extensions in recent weeks with Ben Carson and Mike Lowry also having extended their deals. Ireland Sevens star Zac Ward also penned a three-year contract with the province after a successful trial period.