'Law's greatness will endure'published at 20:03 17 January
20:03 17 January
Tom English BBC Scotland's chief sports writer
Image source, Getty Images
At Denis Law's first training session at Manchester United in 1962, Bobby Charlton approached the 22-year-old and told him how happy he was to see him at the club.
As Charlton recalled: "He gave me that sidelong, slightly quizzical smile that would become so familiar to me down the years. It was though a lot of the magic and the aura of the old United team had been conjured up at a single stroke."
George Best, Law, Charlton - the holy trinity in the Theatre of Dreams.
Best recalled once that Law could score goals from a hundredth of a chance, not to mind half a chance. He scored 29 in 44 games in his first season, including one in a victorious FA Cup final that he dominated.
The following season he scored 46 in 42 and won the Ballon d'Or. The season after, he scored 28 times as United won the league for the first time since the Munich air disaster.
In 1967, United won the league again - a mere warm-up routine for what was to follow in 1968.
Sadly, Law missed out on the glory of Wembley and the emotion of Sir Matt Busby's team winning the European Cup a decade after Munich.
He was injured for the semi-final and final. His body was beginning to fail. Cortisone injections were required more often to get him through.
On the night of the final he was in a Manchester hospital recovering from a knee operation. Busby arrived at his bedside the day after with the trophy.
Law recovered, scored 30 in 45 games in 1968-69, but the United force was about to fade.
Law's greatness will endure - through the generations and for all-time.
'The hero of a generation' - Man Utd's tribute to Lawpublished at 19:50 17 January
19:50 17 January
Image source, Getty Images
Manchester United have paid tribute to club legend Denis Law, who has died at the age of 84.
A club statement said: "Everyone at Manchester United is mourning the loss of Denis Law, the King of the Stretford End.
"With 237 goals in 404 appearances, he will always be celebrated as one of the club's greatest and most beloved players.
"The ultimate goalscorer, his flair, spirit and love for the game made him the hero of a generation.
"Our deepest condolences go out to Denis's family and many friends. His memory will live on forever more."
Only Sir Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney have scored more goals for United.
Law's status within the club is highlighted by the fact he is the only man to have two statues dedicated to him at Old Trafford - one on the Stretford End concourse, the other as part of the United Trinity statue overlooking the stadium's forecourt, where he is immortalised alongside fellow greats George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton.
Earlier, we asked you who scored Manchester United's first Premier League goal of the 2024-25 season.
The answer is Joshua Zirkzee, who netted in the 1-0 win over Fulham on 16 August.
Amorim on 'lack of goals and threat' and 'rollercoaster' aheadpublished at 13:33 17 January
13:33 17 January
Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim has been speaking to the media before Sunday's Premier League game against Brighton (kick-off 14:00 GMT).
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
Amorim said his side "didn't play well" against Southampton, but at half-time he felt "some players were tired" and that is what prompted his changes.
On whether Antony will leave Old Trafford in this transfer window: "I want to keep my players and I'm focused on these players. I don't know what is going to happen this window. We will see."
He said Rasmus Hojlund's lack of goals is "more a team problem than a Rasmus problem" and added: "We have clearly a lack of goals and a lack of threat."
On why their performances have differed against the top teams: "It's a team that feels more joy to play, waiting for the play and then in transition creating problems. So it's something that we have to change."
He said "it's going to be hard until the end of the season" to find consistency in performances because of their lack of time to train at Carrington. He added: "It's going to be a little bit of a rollercoaster."
On Manuel Ugarte, who is struggling to play back-to-back games: "Ugarte was tired because he did a great job against Liverpool. I think that happens with all players in the Premier League. They can play, but they don't play the same way."
He said when there is speculation around transfers it is "sometimes harder for the players because they have some information" and that has an effect on the team.
On conceding goals from set-pieces: "We have to improve in all areas of our game. It was like a simple header [against Southampton] and sometimes when you are in the moment, it feels like everything is against you."
'Garnacho's wages make Napoli move a doable deal'published at 12:25 17 January
12:25 17 January
Image source, Getty Images
The relatively low wages Manchester United pay winger Alejandro Garnacho could offer an opportunity for Napoli to sign him in January, says French football journalist Julien Laurens.
Garnacho has been the subject of speculation about a move away from Old Trafford after reports in Italy claimed his representatives have met with the Italian side.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live's Euro Leagues podcast, he said: "Garnacho is on very low money because he signed a contract with United until 2028. At the time, he was still a young player coming out of the academy going into the first team.
"I think it's a great idea to try and tempt him away from Old Trafford. If we believe what we are told and United want £60m for him and Napoli have only offered £30m for now, you could also see them meeting in the middle somewhere.
"It would help Napoli that Garnacho is on such low wages. If he was on Marcis Rashford's wages, there would no way they could afford him. "
Despite being linked with a move away, United boss Ruben Amorim said on Thursday, Garnacho has a future at Old Trafford and Spanish Football journalist and BBC columnist Guillerm Balague believes the 20-year-old is entering a key stage of his development.
"Garnacho thinks he's very, very good which he is sometimes but not always," Balague said.
"When he isn't very good, it doesn't seem to be his fault. I don't think he's dealing with the next step that he must give in his career in keeping working, being consistent and not blaming everyone else if things don't work.
"He is in a key part of his career. He can become a consistent top player but in my eyes, he hasn't done it yet."
Sean: Amad Diallo just saved us from embarrassment. We didn't deserve the win but individual brilliance has got us over the line.
Steve: Let's credit Southampton first but for United, it's a win. Yes, it was terrible for 80 minutes of the game, but we are trying to compete with players that are tactically inept. Let's just get through this season and the real work starts in the summer, when I would imagine not many will survive the cull. Credit to Joshua Zirkzee for his impact by the way.
Nigel: Poor performance again, no creativity or threat for most of the game until Amad came alive. I feel sorry for Ruben Amorim - Sir Jim Ratcliffe needs to support him big time in the summer if we are to try and compete again. It's going to take time and I hope that Ruben sticks with it.
Rahim: Very poor performance overall masked by a wonderful player. Thought Zirkzee made a significant contribution when he came on. Southampton can consider themselves unfortunate not to have been out of sight by half-time.
Saints fans
Alan: Saints played their best football this season, but just couldn't score a second. They should take heart from this display. Some great performances.
David: I'm gutted. Saints were so much better than we have been all season and should have had a couple in the first half. Kamaldeen Sulemana had a cracking game but the lack of a good bench cost us. Will Smallbone was poor when he was on, Kyle Walker-Peters was tiring at the end and Diallo sensed it. Just when our luck nearly changed. We'll go down but this performance gives hope.
Simon: We lost, as expected ,but that was such an improved display. I know we had chances - we've had them all season - but across the whole team, we were much sharper.
David: A fantastic performance from Saints until Mateus Fernandes was taken off. We have no threat coming off the bench. Hopefully during the transfer window, we will get another attacking player in. Sulemana was outstanding.
'That's Amad trick' - Friday's back pagespublished at 07:49 17 January
07:49 17 January
Image source, Star and Express
Friday's back pages all feature Manchester United's hat-trick hero Amad Diallo, who rescued three points for Ruben Amorim's men against Southampton.
Only Mohamed Salah (20) and Alexander Isak (17) have more Premier League goal involvements since the start of November than Diallo's five goals and five assists.
Little wonder then that United officials have tied him to a contract that runs to 2030.
Image source, Mirror and I
United rebuff Napoli's approach for Garnachopublished at 07:35 17 January
07:35 17 January
Simon Stone Chief football news reporter
Image source, Getty Images
Manchester United have rebuffed initial Napoli interest in winger Alejandro Garnacho.
Napoli have made Garnacho their primary target with the money raised from Kvicha Kvaratskhelia's impeding move to Paris St-Germain.
United had already made it clear they were not encouraging bids for Garnacho or England midfielder Kobbie Mainoo.
However, Napoli think they can do a deal. It is not known the precise nature of the communication but it is thought the figure mentioned was around £40m.
That is way below United's valuation of the Argentina forward.
It has been felt the Old Trafford outfit might be willing to sell one of their homegrown stars in order to help fund Ruben Amorim's squad building.
It is not known whether Garnacho, who played the full 90 minutes in United's 3-1 Premier League win over Southampton on Thursday, would be offloaded for a big offer, but United have made it clear their valuation is higher than the sums Napoli are presently talking about.
Gossip: Dortmund join Rashford racepublished at 07:34 17 January
Manchester United will move for Wolves' 23-year-old Algeria defender Rayan Ait-Nouri if their Netherlands defender Tyrell Malacia, 25, moves to Juventus. (Caught Offside), external