Latest updates from your Sport topics will appear in My Sport in the BBC Sport App and in a collection on the BBC homepage.
Latest updates
Williams excited by transfer prospectspublished at 06:24 19 April 2024
06:24 19 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Swansea City look like being in the market for a host of new signings once again this summer, and head coach Luke Williams says transfer work is well under way.
Swansea go to Huddersfield Town on Saturday having all but secured their Championship status courtesy of back-to-back home wins over Stoke City and Rotherham United.
And while Williams is keen to finish a difficult campaign with something of a flourish, he already has half an eye on next season.
“We have had some very good meetings with the recruitment team,” he said.
“Step by step we try to narrow down a long list of players who potentially are targets for us.”
As things stand, Swansea look almost certain to be in the market for a goalkeeper this summer, as well as two full-backs and possibly a central defender.
They will also look to strengthen in the centre of midfield, out wide and up front.
“I think we all have to be really excited about trying to get a really competitive group of players together, seeing if we can have an identity, a way of playing, and see where that takes us,” Williams added.
Allen and Placheta set to miss remainder of seasonpublished at 14:00 18 April 2024
14:00 18 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Swansea City head coach Luke Williams says Joe Allen and Przemyslaw Placheta are unlikely to play again this season.
Midfielder Allen, 34, has been out with a toe injury since 1 April, while winger Placheta, 26, has not featured since suffering a hamstring injury at Sheffield Wednesday on 29 March.
Williams fears that like veteran defender Kyle Naughton, who has a hamstring injury, Allen and Placheta will not play an part in Swansea’s three remaining games in 2023-24.
“Joe is progressing well, no hiccups so far, but still has a way to go,” Williams said. “More than likely [his season is finished].
“Przemy has some complications in terms of getting very accurate feedback from scans and ultrasounds. Most likely [it is the end of his season].”
Allen, Placheta and Naughton are among the Swansea players who, as things stand, are out of contract this summer, with talks over their futures ongoing.
There is some good news from the treatment room going into Saturday’s trip to Huddersfield Town, with centre-back Nathan Wood back in contention having missed wins over Stoke City and Rotherham United with a calf problem.
Huddersfield trip sparks memories of Wembley 1994published at 12:28 17 April 2024
12:28 17 April 2024
Image source, Getty Images
Saturday's trip to Huddersfield Town in the Championship will no doubt stir memories of Swansea City’s first ever Wembley success, in the Autoglass Trophy final 30 years ago.
Frank Burrows’ Swans beat the Terriers 3-1 on penalties at the old Wembley Stadium after the game had finished 1-1 in extra time. Huddersfield were managed at the time by Neil Warnock.
The 30th anniversary was celebrated by the club during the recent 1-0 defeat at home to Queens Park Rangers, with players donning a retro kit reminiscent of the one worn in 1994.
John Cornforth, who captained that team, was one of the former players presented to the crowd before the QPR game.
“It's much appreciated what the club has done, it's been 30 years,” Cornforth told BBC Radio Wales Sport.
“I was the first captain to lead the Swans out at Wembley, scored a goal [in the penalty shootout], won man of the match and lifted the trophy, it's what dreams are made of.
“I've always said it's the forgotten team, when you look at when they got in the Premier League, they've done ever so well. You also look at the stadium now compared to what we used to play at, the Vetch.
“I was very proud to captain that side. I was very passionate and proud to pull on the Swansea shirt."
But Cornforth’s overriding memory of that April afternoon is what happened after the match.
“Leaving Membury services in my boxer shorts," he added.
“Swansea didn't have much money in those days, so we had to stop off at the services with the fans and I lost my shirt, my shoes, my trousers and my tie and I had to walk back on the bus in my boxer shorts.
“Thankfully there was no camera phones around in those days”.
Swansea set for Austria as part of pre-season plans published at 17:10 16 April 2024
17:10 16 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Swansea City will head to Austria this summer as Luke Williams’ pre-season plans begin to take shape.
The Swans are keen for a settled summer having seen last year’s preparations affected by managerial uncertainty.
Swansea will hope they can hit the ground running going into Williams’ first full campaign, with details of pre-season in the process of being finalised.
Williams’ squad will spend a week in Austria with two games being lined up as part of the time away.
The former Notts County boss is keen for an intense period abroad before returning a week before the Championship campaign kicks off on 10 August.
Swansea are likely to squeeze in a home friendly the week before their competitive return.
Williams - Martin's former assistant at Swansea - was named as Duff's successor in January and admitted it was not ideal to be introducing new ideas without a pre-season, describing it as putting the "wings on a plane after it took off".
Swansea wait on Placheta scan ahead of contract discussionspublished at 14:28 16 April 2024
14:28 16 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Image caption,
Placheta made 16 appearances this season for play-off chasing Norwich before joining Swansea at the end of the January window
Swansea City are waiting on results of a scan to see if Przemyslaw Placheta will play again this season.
And his fitness could be a factor in a decision on the wideman’s future.
Placheta suffered a hamstring injury in the Good Friday draw at Sheffield Wednesday.
There had been hopes of a speedy return only for a further problem to be discovered.
Swans boss Luke Williams is now waiting to see if the 26-year-old will be available before the end of the campaign.
Swansea’s final game comes against Millwall at the Swansea.com Stadium on 4 May.
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Image caption,
Williams has a series of decisions to be made on players out of contract this summer
Placheta has caught the eye since arriving at Swansea, making 10 appearances after the club took over the final months of his contract at Norwich.
It remains to be seen whether the Poland international will be offered a new deal.
“It’ll be a discussion around the table with all the people involved,” Williams said.
“Let’s get some more information what’s going on with the hamstring, see if we can get him back before the end of the season, if not let’s take it all into consideration and see how we feel.”
Williams is likely to give a further update before Saturday's trip to Huddersfield.
But he is already facing up to being without veteran defender Kyle Naughton for the remainder of the season, the 35-year-old having also picked up a hamstring problem.
Naughton suffered the injury during Swansea’s south Wales derby win over Cardiff last month, and Williams has conceded it will be difficult for the former Tottenham man to figure again this term.
With Naughton also among those out of contract, Williams says similar discussions will take place.
“When he got fit and on the pitch I was very happy with his performances, I thought he played excellent football for us and has a top mentality,” said Williams of Naughton, who has made more than 300 appearances for the club.
“It’s another discussion because every single decision has an impact on five other decisions and we have to balance everything up. It’s very complicated because we have six loans and many players out of contract, and we have to factor in if someone’s impossible to keep hold of. All of these things have to come into play.
“We’re in a situation of uncertainty with many things, but we have to try and join everything together. It’s challenging, but it’s what we have to try and do.”
Sidelined Ginnelly gives positive injury updatepublished at 16:31 15 April 2024
16:31 15 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Image caption,
Ginnelly spent three seasons with Hearts before joining Swansea, helping the Edinburgh club to promotion to the Scottish Premiership
Swansea City forward Josh Ginnelly is back on the training pitch as he continues his recovery from a season-ending injury.
Ginnelly, a summer signing from Hearts, was ruled out of the majority of his first campaign in south Wales after rupturing his Achilles.
He posted on social media, external on Monday after completing a first day back on the grass since suffering the injury in last September's 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday.
There is still no prospect of the 27-year-old featuring before the end of the season and he is yet to resume full training following the first individual session.
But his return to the pitch is a significant step as he builds towards full fitness.
Ginnelly has been sidelined since long before Luke Williams arrived as Swans boss, having been predecessor Michael Duff's first signing as head coach.
He made just eight appearances - including two league starts - before the injury, which came four days after scoring his first league goal for the club in the 1-1 draw at Queens Park Rangers.
A former Burnley and Preston player, Ginnelly's pace was seen as a key attribute after joining on a free following time in Scottish football with Hearts.
Williams has shown he is eager for greater pace in attack after utlising Brazilian winger Ronald and former Norwich wideman Przemyslaw Placheta since they signed during the January transfer window.
Placheta is currently injured himself having picked up a hamstring problem during the Easter fixtures, although Williams is hopeful he could return before the final day visit of Millwall on 4 May.
Joe Allen (toe) and Kyle Naughton (hamstring) are also all out with no firm timescale for their returns provided as yet.
Top half a 'good challenge' published at 19:57 13 April 2024
19:57 13 April 2024
Image source, Getty Images
Head coach Luke Williams has challenged Swansea City to deliver a top-half Championship finish after victory over Rotherham United all but secured their second-tier status.
After a season of struggle, Swansea are nine points clear of the relegation places with only three games of 2023-24 remaining.
The Swans go to 22nd-placed Huddersfield Town next weekend, then face a testing trip to Norwich City before a final-day home game against Millwall.
Williams’ side are five points adrift of 12th-placed Bristol City in 14th – but the former Notts County boss says reaching the top half is possible.
"That's a good challenge,” he said. “Let’s go and make really good performances and see how many points we can pick up.
“At the end of it that (the top half) is quite a respectable performance maybe.”
Swansea dominated possession and territory against Rotherham but could not break down the EFL’s leakiest defence until Andy Rinomhota headed into his own net in the final quarter.
Williams acknowledges that his side must find greater cutting edge next season.
"We're nearly a good team, I feel,” he said.
"I need to continue to try and find solutions for the team, try to help them be more creative. I need to get the balance right because sometimes if you try to be creative, you leave the back door open and concede.
"Getting that balance is a huge challenge for me. But of course we need to get the right personnel who are going to thrive.
“We have a really big summer and then we can do something exciting.”
Swansea City and Stoke City rarely drawpublished at 14:01 10 April 2024
14:01 10 April 2024
Image source, Getty Images
Here are the Opta stats ahead of tonight's Championship match between Swansea City and Stoke City.
None of the last nine league meetings between Swansea City and Stoke City at the Swansea.com Stadium have ended level, since a 3-3 draw in 2013 (4 Swansea wins, 5 Stoke wins).
Stoke City are unbeaten in their last five league games against Swansea City, with their three wins in that time all seeing them score exactly three times (D2).
Since Luke Williams’ first home league game in charge of Swansea in January, no Championship side has lost more games on home soil in the competition than the Swans (P7 W2 L5).
After winning just two of their first seven away league games under Steven Schumacher (D1 L4), Stoke have won each of their last two such games, and could win three in a row for the first time since December 2005 (run of four).
Four of Stoke’s last eight goals away from home in the league have been from set pieces (2x free kick, 1x direct free kick, 1x corner), one more than their first 15 such goals of the Championship season (3x corner).
Can Swansea deliver a response? published at 16:34 9 April 2024
16:34 9 April 2024
Gareth Vincent BBC Sport Wales
Image source, Getty Images
Swansea City have walked out on home soil for 20 league games so far this season.
To date, they have gone back down the tunnel celebrating victory on just six occasions.
Only three Championship sides – Watford, Queens Park Rangers and already-relegated Rotherham United – have won fewer home league fixtures this season.
It is a statistic which helps illustrate why 2023-24 has been a slog for Swansea’s fans – and one which Luke Williams’ players could really do with improving before the end of the campaign.
They have two chances to do just that this week, with Stoke City heading to the Swansea.com Stadium on Wednesday night before Rotherham visit on Saturday.
With 47 points on the board, Swansea have work to do before they can look forward with certainty to another season in the Championship.
One more win might be enough to end all relegation concerns, with Williams hungry to get another result on the board as quickly as possible.
Yet if Swansea pick up against Stoke where they left off at Middlesbrough last weekend, they will do well to get a point, never mind three.
The Potters have plenty to fight for. Having slipped into the bottom three after defeat at Cardiff City in late February, Steven Schumacher’s team have won three of their last seven matches – and lost only two – to pull four points clear of the relegation zone.
And following successive away victories, at Preston North End and Hull City, Stoke travel to Wales with some momentum behind them.
Swansea, by contrast, have lost their way since a rousing victory over Cardiff City last month.
The Swans’ performances since the derby have prompted criticism over players’ attitude, with Williams questioning the mentality of his squad even before they rolled over at the Riverside.
What he needs now is a response, because another abject showing against Stoke would mean more pressure on Swansea – and an even darker mood – going into Rotherham at the weekend.
Your views - 'Reminds me of Premier League relegation'published at 18:03 8 April 2024
18:03 8 April 2024
Image source, BBC Sport
With five games of a traumatic season remaining, Swansea City still have work to do to pull clear of the Championship relegation fight.
It has been a long campaign for the Swans, who are five points above the drop zone having taken only one point from their last three games.
They lost in miserable fashion at Middlesbrough last Saturday, with the nature of the performance prompting frustration among fans as the focus turns to key home games against Stoke City on Wednesday and Rotherham United on Saturday.
We asked for your views after the Boro reverse - and this is what you said.
Philip - This reminds me a little of the season we were relegated from the PL; we fizzled out at the end. Apart from the lack of ability from some players, there is a clear lack of passion and commitment. How I wish the current owners would sell up...
Peter - Swansea have a batch of poor quality players as a result of the bad transfer dealings and the directors’ attitude to the club, hence the position we are in. Until the American so-called business people have departed, things will not improve.
Beans - Glad that Luke Williams comes across as honest with the failings, and humility when the points have arrived. Looks like Swansea got exactly the right man for the job; can't think of anyone who would have fitted better. Disappointing result but the plentiful promise is still alive - young squad of good guys suggests that players will improve.
Mike - Shocking performance again. Spineless and effortless. Too many players not good enough for Swansea City. At least six players needed. Honestly why play [Jerry] Yates? I'd start with 10 players before playing him.
SM - Very disheartening, half-hearted performance. Expect more effort at the very least from the players, they looked uninterested. Don't they realise they are not out of the relegation battle yet?
Paul B - It's the worst team we have had since we have been in the Championship. We have sold our best players and the ones we have got just don't cut it. There is no desire, no commitment, no urge to do anything. We are so predictable, we must be easy to play against. Players don't move they just stand and wait for the ball. They are a disgrace at times.
Paul - Steady decline for the last 8 years. Sleepwalking into league one. Lost 3 good managers since relegation due to a lack of just a little investment & the results are there for all to see.
'A massive amount of work to be done'published at 14:13 8 April 2024
14:13 8 April 2024
Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
Former striker Ian Walsh says he is struggling to feel hopeful about Swansea City’s prospects next season.
Swansea are not yet guaranteed to be a Championship club in 2024-25 having taken only one point from their last three games.
Last Saturday’s abject defeat at Middlesbrough leaves the Swans five points clear of the relegation places, in 15th, as they prepare to host fellow strugglers Stoke City on Wednesday.
With a home game against Rotherham United – whose relegation was confirmed last Friday night – to come on Saturday before fixtures against Huddersfield Town, Norwich City and Millwall, Walsh is unconcerned about the possibility of relegation this season.
But when asked whether he feels optimistic about what next term might bring, the ex-Wales international said: “Not really, no.
“I can’t feel optimistic about it with the players that are there and possibly the players coming in and going.
“There’s a massive amount of work to be done between now and the start of next season to start getting any positivity really about Swansea being a threat to get promotion.”
Walsh says he expects Luke Williams’ team to deliver the victory which would take them to 50 points – the traditional Championship safety mark - in one of their next three games.
“Three points should be enough to get them out of trouble, but it’s not where they want to be,” he told BBC Radio Wales’ Call Rob programme.
“The results and performances aren’t going the way we’d hoped they’d be going.
“There’s still lots of work to be done there. I am sure the manager would like to get the season out the way and start preparing for next year.
Walsh says Williams, who took charge in January, “needs help” to improve Swansea’s squad this summer.
“Luke Williams has been thrown in there with a bunch of players [with whom] the club wasn’t going anywhere,” he added.
“All of a sudden people are expecting things to change, but why should they change?
“Is it always the players’ fault or is it the fact that the club aren’t supporting the manager?
“That’s what’s happened over the last four or five seasons - there’s been a lack of support from the owners.”