Swansea City

Latest updates

  1. Tymon injury causes headache for Williamspublished at 16:39 7 April 2024

    Gareth Vincent
    BBC Sport Wales

    Josh Tymon holds his head in his handsImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Josh Tymon took time to settle following his £2m move to Swansea City last September, but his possible absence against old club Stoke City on Wednesday means a headache for Luke Williams.

    Tymon did not hit the ground running under Michael Duff, who regarded the 24-year-old as a better wing-back than full-back and therefore did not always use him when playing four at the back.

    As the season has gone on, however, Tymon has proved well capable of playing left-back rather than in a slightly more advanced wing-back role.

    So successful has the former Hull youngster been, in fact, that he is likely to be in with a shout when Swansea fans vote for their player of the season.

    It is a blow for Williams, therefore, that Tymon is a doubt for the midweek home meeting with Stoke thanks to the calf injury which forced him off during Saturday’s miserable 2-0 defeat at Middlesbrough.

    Swansea are in need of a win having taken only one point from three games since their derby victory over Cardiff City last month.

    But nothing will come easy against Stoke, who need points themselves – and have found some form in the last month or so – as they too look to pull clear of relegation danger.

    Should Tymon miss out on a Potters reunion, Williams will be forced to turn to a makeshift left-back - possibly midfielder Azeem Abdulai, central defender Bashir Humphreys or right-back Josh Key.

    In what is a big game for both sides, that is not ideal.

    Azeem Abdulai warms upImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency
  2. 'Difficult' to keep Lowe next season - Williamspublished at 10:00 5 April 2024

    Jamal Lowe celebrates scoring at Sheffield WednesdayImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Luke Williams says it will be difficult to keep Jamal Lowe at Swansea City beyond this season because of the player’s salary.

    Versatile forward Lowe, 29, has scored eight goals in 29 appearances since rejoining Swansea on a season-long loan from Bournemouth last September.

    Lowe, the Championship club’s joint top scorer this season alongside Jerry Yates, sees his Bournemouth contract expire at the end of the season.

    He originally joined the Cherries from Swansea in 2021 having scored 14 goals in his first spell during his initial year-long stint in Wales.

    Despite being an admirer of Lowe’s attacking qualities, Swansea head coach Williams has indicated the Jamaica international is unlikely to return in 2024-25.

    “I think it’s going to be difficult because Jamal is on a Premier League salary,” said Williams.

    “That could be a real issue. Jamal’s contract in his first spell here was probably when the club were still working almost on a Premier League budget. Then he went on [to Bournemouth] still on a Premier League level.

    “But this club is no longer operating at that level. I think we have to be clear about what it’s going to look like if we are going to do anything at all.”

  3. Skipper Grimes sees better days aheadpublished at 08:44 5 April 2024

    Swansea captain Matt GrimesImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Matt Grimes says Swansea City can see light at the end of the tunnel as they head into the final stages of a season he concedes has been a “real grind”.

    Swansea go to Middlesbrough on Saturday knowing victory would all but secure their Championship status for the 2024-25 campaign.

    Grimes is convinced there are better days ahead next season after a season spent looking down the table rather than up.

    “It’s been tough to say the least, very topsy-turvy with lots of change,” the Swansea captain said.

    “How we have got to where we are now, it’s been a real grind, but the lads have stuck together and we want to finish as strongly as possible.”

    Swansea are seven points clear of the relegation places with six games to play.

    Last Monday’s defeat by Queens Park Rangers was only their second in seven matches and, despite that setback, Grimes believes Luke Williams’ team are heading in the right direction.

    “I think we have made great strides under the new manager,” the long-serving midfielder added.

    “We are starting to really dominate games and implement his style. It’s probably the most confident I have felt all season [about the future].

    “Our end goal is to be able to compete with the top teams. We are not quite there yet but I feel like we will get there under this manager.”

  4. Will Naughton play for Swansea again? published at 14:00 4 April 2024

    Swansea defender Kyle NaughtonImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Swansea City boss Luke Williams says Kyle Naughton’s season may be over – and is unsure whether that could mean he has played his last game for the club.

    Defender Naughton suffered a hamstring injury in last month’s south Wales derby.

    The 35-year-old, who joined Swansea from Tottenham Hotspur in January 2015, sees his contract expire this summer.

    Williams has praised Naughton’s contribution both on and off the pitch since taking charge at Swansea three months ago, but said: “I don’t know what’s going to happen.

    “Naughts is a grown man - he might have something to tell us.

    “But he is an incredible player. We will see what happens with his recovery, his plans and our plans.”

    Asked if Naughton would be out for the remainder of this season, which runs until 4 May, Williams added: “Maybe. It depends on how the body reacts. We will have to see.”

    Joe Allen is another veteran who will be missing when Swansea go to Middlesbrough on Saturday, with the club’s medical staff still assessing the extent of the toe injury he suffered in last Monday’s defeat to Queens Park Rangers.

    Przemyslaw Placheta is expected to be absent for around a fortnight with a hamstring injury, while Bashir Humphreys should be available soon after a calf problem.

    On-loan Newcastle defender Harrison Ashby, who has not played since coming off at half-time at Leicester in January, is available but has not even made the bench despite Naughton’s absence.

  5. Teenager Govea has 'chance to be really good'published at 17:01 2 April 2024

    Aimar Govea in action against QPRImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Luke Williams says teenager Aimar Govea has “a chance to be really good” if he continues his progress at Swansea City.

    Left-sided winger Govea, 17, made his senior debut as a substitute in last Friday’s draw at Sheffield Wednesday.

    A second appearance off the bench followed in Monday’s 1-0 home defeat by Queens Park Rangers.

    It has been a whirlwind spell for Ecuador youth international Govea, who signed a first professional contract – described by Swansea as a long-term deal – last month.

    Govea joined Swansea’s academy at the age of 13, when older brother Jordi, now 25, signed for the Welsh club having learned his trade at Real Madrid.

    Jordi departed without making a first-team appearance for the Swans, but the younger Govea has made his mark.

    “I like him because he clearly has quality, no doubt,” said head coach Williams.

    “He strikes the ball well, manipulates the ball well. He has a change of direction, shifts his body weight and he is quick enough, so all those things I like.

    “And then he is concentrating in training, listening, has a good attitude and those things are equally important.

    “Aimar has a chance to be really good if he continues like that. He earned his place to get in the squad and to be on the pitch.”

    Govea almost claimed a first senior goal in an unlikely fashion against QPR, when his cross from the right sailed over Rangers keeper Asmir Begovic but came back off the far post.

    He will hope for another chance to impress when Swansea return to Championship action at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

  6. A remarkable run which Swans need to endpublished at 11:46 2 April 2024

    Gareth Vincent
    BBC Sport Wales

    Luke Williams after Swansea's defeat to QPR Image source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    It will not take Middlesbrough’s analysts long to figure out one area where Michael Carrick’s side might hurt Swansea City at the Riverside this Saturday.

    Set-pieces have become a serious issue for Swansea in recent weeks.

    Remarkably, in fact, every goal the Swans have conceded since their 2-1 defeat by Ipswich on 17 February has stemmed from either a free-kick or a corner.

    It is probably fair to say that without set-piece goals, Swansea would no longer be part of the relegation conversation in the Championship.

    Queens Park Rangers’ Steve Cook was the latest player to expose their frailty, with the centre-back rifling home a volley to give the Hoops victory at the Swansea.com Stadium on Monday.

    As a result, not for the first time in Luke Williams’ brief Swansea reign, his team emerged from a game where they controlled long spells with nothing.

    There are attacking issues, too, of course, with Swansea creating enough opportunities to beat QPR but not taking any of them.

    But it must be particularly frustrating for Williams that his team are having so much difficulty dealing with dead balls.

    Swansea have conceded six goals in their past seven games - against Rangers, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, Watford, Blackburn and Sunderland - with their one clean sheet during that sequence coming against Cardiff City.

    There is some irony there given that the Bluebirds have scored more set-piece goals than any other side in the Championship this season.

    The Cardiff shutout suggests that when it comes to dealing with dead balls, Swansea can do it.

    But Williams must wish they would do it a bit more often.

  7. Williams 'not worried' about relegation threat published at 09:53 1 April 2024

    Swansea head coach Luke WilliamsImage source, Huw Evans Picture Agency

    Head coach Luke Williams says he is not looking over his shoulder as Swansea City prepare to face Queens Park Rangers on Monday.

    Swansea are eight points clear of the Championship relegation zone with seven games remaining this season having lost only once in their last six.

    Rangers, meantime, are four points worse off in 18th.

    Swansea would reach 50 points – the traditional Championship safety mark – with a win over QPR, but Williams insists he is not fretting about league position.

    “We are nearly there but I am not worried about that,” he said.

    “I know we have enough quality in the squad for us to be in the division. I am not worried about that.

    “I am more concerned about us hitting a level of consistent performance so that when people have come a long way to watch us, they can see progress in our team.

    “I am not looking over my shoulder at all. I would like to try to finish this season feeling really optimistic.”

    While Swansea scrapped their way to a draw at Sheffield Wednesday on Friday, Rangers claimed a potentially pivotal win against Birmingham City thanks to a spectacular late goal from Jimmy Dunne.

    It was a first victory in four game for the London club – but the sixth in their last 12 second-tier outings.

    “They are another team that’s going to be fighting for everything of course - we have to be prepared for that,” Williams added.

    “We need to improve how we play so we can combat whatever the opposition are doing.

    “We are in a decent place but we need to push from here onwards and be a really impressive team.”

  8. No decision made on out of contract Swanspublished at 12:39 29 March 2024

    Kyle Naughton and Joe AllenImage source, Getty Images

    Swansea City boss Luke Williams says no decisions have been made on the players out of contract this summer.

    Veteran defender Kyle Naughton, who is currently injured, midfielders Joe Allen and Jamie Paterson and forward Liam Walsh all see their deals expire at the end of the campaign.

    Williams says there are ongoing talks over the contractual situation of the players, but says no firm decisions have been made on the future of the quartet.

    “I understand of course, it’s obvious you ask about it and we are doing the same thing at the moment, we are talking a lot at the moment without making final decisions,” Williams said.

    “There will be plenty of conversations and of course, as you know, things change quickly because of a really great performance or injury or everything in between.

    “You are looking for the biggest sample size you can get before making the decision, so that is something that is going to be ongoing for a bit longer.”

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  9. Swans must build on south Wales derby win - Williamspublished at 12:22 29 March 2024

    Swansea celebrate SW derby win over CardiffImage source, Getty Images

    Swansea head coach Luke Williams wants his side to build on their “best performance” as they return to action at Sheffield Wednesday on Friday after their south Wales derby win over Cardiff City.

    The Swans enjoyed bragging rights over the international break after their 2-0 win and Williams wants to capitalise on the feelgood factor of beating your biggest rivals.

    “It was a great way to go into the international break and I was so pleased for so many people, and we have a different feeling than we had going into the game,” Williams said.

    “We can take a lot from it. The teams that can produce their best football in the biggest games, that’s always a good trait to have.

    “That was our best performance since we have been together and in the biggest game since we have been together, so I am happy with that.

    “The players are working hard and competing against each other in the correct way, and I am enjoying seeing the players push each other and I think that will stand us in good stead.”

    Williams wants to end the campaign in a manner that will create momentum for next season.

    “We want to finish the season strongly, we have a great opportunity to do that. We are in a good place and have fixtures against teams in similar positions in the league to us,” he added.

    “That means we are evenly-matched and we have a chance to determine how we want to feel going into the summer.”

  10. Cabango and Walsh boost Swans but Naughton concernpublished at 14:25 28 March 2024

    Liam Walsh and Ben Cabango on exercise bikesImage source, Getty Images

    Swansea City look set to be boosted by the imminent returns of defender Ben Cabango and midfielder Liam Walsh - but have suffered a blow over veteran right-back Kyle Naughton.

    Walsh, 26, who is out of contract in the summer, has been out with a calf injury since 1 January, but returned to training over the international break.

    Cabango, 23, missed the south Wales derby win over Cardiff and Wales' Euro play-off exit with a calf injury sustained in training.

    "Ben is going to be back very soon in full training so that’s very good news," Swansea boss Luke Williams told BBC Sport Wales.

    Williams says he disappointed Walsh in leaving him out of the squad for Swansea's visit to Sheffield Wednesday on Friday.

    "I was with Liam half an hour ago and he looked like he was going to kill me," Williams said.

    "He looked like he was going to throttle me because he wasn't in the squad, the reason being he's worked really well.

    "He's a guy who has been caged up and he wants to prove himself. The problem is that his body's extremely vulnerable. His mind is very, very highly motivated, but his body is not very highly conditioned yet."

    Naughton, 35, is another player out of contract this summer.

    He has been in fine form after returning to the side in recent weeks but will miss out on a return to his native Sheffield after suffering a hamstring injury during the Cardiff game.

    "Kyle is going to be a while," Williams added.

    An image detailing how to follow your Premier League team on BBC Sport: "On the app? Tap the bell icon to get news about your club sent to you. Signed in on a browser? Hit 'Follow' to stay up to date.
  11. Lissah signs new Swans dealpublished at 13:27 27 March 2024

    Swansea City's Filip Lissah applauds fansImage source, Getty Images

    Filip Lissah has signed a new long-term contract with Swansea.

    The defender, 19, has been a key figure for the club's Under-21s this season and made his first team debut in the FA Cup against Bournemouth in January.

    And the club have announced that Lissah has signed a new deal with the Swans until the end of June 2027.

    The club also have an option to extend the contract by an additional year.

    "Since I arrived at the club it was clear that Filip is a young player with a real desire to fulfil his potential," said Swansea City academy manager Gavin Levey.

    "Anthony Wright and the Under-21s' staff have been hugely impressed with Fil’s progress and have been a huge influence on the decision to move Filip into the first-team environment.

    "The relationship between the academy and first-team staff is key and enables us to commit our best young talents like Filip to the club with a clear pathway for him to work towards."